XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

95 XJ6 locks not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:59 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Been having similar problems for months - sunroof developed mind of its own, opening when not asked to then stuck open and had to be manually closed, central locking light stays on, fob doesn't lock and unlock but does activate lights if pressed a couple of times and button doesn't open boot

Extremely oddly, I hit the central locking button by mistake at one point and could hear sunroof motor going and refusing to stop - had to disconnect battery to get to cease

My thinking is the car doesn't recognise everything is closed, in particular the sunroof so refuses to lock - haven't tried replacement sunroof module as a pain apparently to replace and I'd like to remove and refinish entire assembly and we haven't had weather where this would be feasible

Something is not right somewhere else though - was getting an issue where if locked and unlocked from passenger side locks would cycle several times, and issue now with drivers door which I fear is corrosion - seems slight rust stain in keywell and key not operating smoothly at all - and as of yesterday I think I may have sticking door microswitch or relay as heard clicking for a while after starting and miles down the road realised internal lights still on

Tried replacing security control module way back when symptoms first appeared and that just immobilised car so suspect these need programmed

Any and all advice welcomed

thanks

c

Old 12-22-2015, 04:26 PM
Received 96 Likes on 67 Posts

I opened up my security module today and noticed there were a couple of transistors that were burned and missing.

i'm gonna go find one at pickn pull. do these things need to be programmed in someway ?

Old 12-24-2015, 05:33 PM

replaced my security module and all my locks are back working.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some success but not total joy

I've been following this thread as my lover's 96MY X300 is having locking issues also at 145K miles.
Not only would it not work with the key fob it was completely DOA on the door and boot locks. The console button and boot release buttons did nothing what so ever. It was the same story about putting it in gear or opening the drivers door.
The only means to gain entry was with the mechanical key.

I bought a replacement security control ECU off eBay for $52 USD and installed it today. That fixed all the lock issues. All buttons and functions work as intended except for the key fob. Nothing works with the fob and yes I put a new battery in it.

So I guess we have settled the question about whether a replacement security control ECU has to be reprogramed to your car.

Does anyone have thoughts or ideas ?

Old 12-27-2015, 03:32 PM

you can reprogram your remoteS to it.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:51 AM
Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Where the key contains a security transponder chip as in the UK (not USA markets) the security module must be programmed to recognise the key. This can only be performed by using dealer software.