XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

'95 XJ6 radio won't turn on

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '95 XJ6 radio won't turn on

Great forum you've got here. Helped me decided whether to purchase my XJ6 (I did, this morning!).

The only thing I've encountered so far that doesn't work is the radio. Won't turn on. What's the first thing I should check?

Old 05-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default radio won't tun on

Well first, WELCOME TO THE FORUM! To get to the radio, mine turns on by pressing the volumn knob in. Simle, however that depends on whether someone has changed out or replaced the speakers.

If pushing the vol. knob in doesn't do it, the first thing I would do is check the radio fuse to see if it is blown or not. I would tell you exactly where it is located but you need to get to know your Jag a little bit, it's kind of a bonding experience with regard to fuse location.

Raise your hood and on the passenger side you will find a panel door on the fender well that should be marked "fuses". Open this panel and you will find a diagram showing the location of 5 fuse bays on the inside of the lid. These 5 bay locations also have a box showing on the lid that you opened and you will need to read them to find which one contains the radio fuse.

If you'll notice it shows a left and right fuse box located at the rear seat heel boards. If it is located there you will simply find the location and fuse amperage indicated on the diagram you found under the hood by removing one phillips head screw and checking the fuse. I might add at this point the center console cigar lighter is located there and that is one I had to replace even though the fuse looked fine it wasn't so maybe take the correct amprage fuse and just go ahead and change it out and try again to turn the radio on as if the speakers have been changed and the power was on at the time it is possible the wires touched the metal in the door and the fuse went bad. An accidental contact by a speaker wire with metal can cause the fuse to blow at any time.

Beyond that it is a problem that someone else with electrical expertise wilkl need to help you with and there are alot of people here on the forum that posess that knowledge. Any of you automotive electricians out there please weigh in on the problem please. Thanks, Poor Boy

Last edited by poor boy; 05-03-2011 at 01:31 PM. Reason: kan naut seme to spelll twoday
The following users liked this post:
Stephen_Ri (05-05-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 11:24 PM

Thank you poor boy, very helpful for finding the fuse boxes. In the trunk fuse box, next to the battery, I replaced fuse #s 1, 8, and 10, with amperages 25a, 15a, and 5a, respectively, but the radio/stereo still won't turn on. It's the Harman Kardon sound system, if that matters. Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Old 05-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen_Ri
Thank you poor boy, very helpful for finding the fuse boxes. In the trunk fuse box, next to the battery, I replaced fuse #s 1, 8, and 10, with amperages 25a, 15a, and 5a, respectively, but the radio/stereo still won't turn on. It's the Harman Kardon sound system, if that matters. Does anyone else have a suggestion?
Now you need to get to the radio itself and check for the power and ground at it's connector. If that is good, it's time to repair the radio. We have used United Radio Electronics several times, and the unit comes back looking like a new radio. I've attached their repair form that has contact info.

Cheers,

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
United Radio Repair Form.pdf (40.3 KB, 742 views)
Old 03-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by xjrguy
Now you need to get to the radio itself and check for the power and ground at it's connector. If that is good, it's time to repair the radio. We have used United Radio Electronics several times, and the unit comes back looking like a new radio. I've attached their repair form that has contact info.

Cheers,
Hey xjrguy,

When you sent the Harman Kardon head units to United Radio Electronics for repair, do you recall any particular range of cost they charged for the units? I'm considering using them.

My 1995 XJR Harman Kardon head unit initially sounds great when I turn it on, but after a few minutes, the signal gets scratchy (no matter if FM or CD) and becomes unlistenable. I was told it was probably a tweeter that was "going bad" and replaced that, but it still does the same thing.

Thanks,

Lew

Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by WaterLew
Hey xjrguy,

When you sent the Harman Kardon head units to United Radio Electronics for repair, do you recall any particular range of cost they charged for the units? I'm considering using them.

My 1995 XJR Harman Kardon head unit initially sounds great when I turn it on, but after a few minutes, the signal gets scratchy (no matter if FM or CD) and becomes unlistenable. I was told it was probably a tweeter that was "going bad" and replaced that, but it still does the same thing.

Thanks,

Lew
I've seen those do that before, been a while though. The last one was probably back when it was an exchange from Jaguar. Last one we sent out cost about $200-225, but I heard a while back here on the Forum that someone used them and the price had gone up. I can't verify that myself. Give them a call at the number on the repair form, I'm sure they will give you a price range. I know their work has been top notch for us.

Cheers,

Old 01-06-2015, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Stephen_Ri
If you are still looking for suggestions, I have information and a suggested repair alternative, but it is expensive.

There is some condition, often intermittent, in which none of the controls on this radio work, including the ON/OFF. Mine usually gets stuck in the on position, and I cannot change stations, volume, anything. But just now it got stuck off, which means no radio at all, bummer.

It is a problem internal to the radio. If you take it out and take the panel off and make sure all the buttons function and put it back together, you might get lucky. You can also just take the knob off and the on/off switch works a little better by just pushing on the shaft, but not convenient for volume.

I know that Austin Radio in Houston, TX works on these. They have repaired mine twice but never for less than $300. Contact them before mailing them anything. You can find them on the web. Good luck. I think I am going to have to buy a new car to get a working radio. Nothing else fits in this one for several reasons.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:20 PM
Received 13,205 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert S.
If you are still looking for suggestions, I have information and a suggested repair alternative, but it is expensive.

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your radio. Many of us have found it far more economical to buy salvaged radios than to spend big money on a repair. Good working units can often be purchased for less than $100 on eBay, even as little as $50 if you're patient.

Since we're a friendly bunch around here, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can give you a proper welcome and learn something about you and your Jag.

P.S. This thread hasn't had a new post in nearly 3 years, so it's likely the original poster (OP) has resolved his issue one way or another. You can see the date of each post in its upper left corner.

Cheers!

Don

Old 01-07-2015, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert S.

There is some condition, often intermittent, in which none of the controls on this radio work, including the ON/OFF. Mine usually gets stuck in the on position, and I cannot change stations, volume, anything. But just now it got stuck off, which means no radio at all, bummer.

It is a problem internal to the radio. If you take it out and take the panel off and make sure all the buttons function and put it back together, you might get lucky. You can also just take the knob off and the on/off switch works a little better by just pushing on the shaft, but not convenient for volume.

I know that Austin Radio in Houston, TX works on these. They have repaired mine twice but never for less than $300. Contact them before mailing them anything. You can find them on the web. Good luck. I think I am going to have to buy a new car to get a working radio. Nothing else fits in this one for several reasons.

Thanks for the tip Robert. It is discouraging to hear that even after two $300 repairs, "Austin Radio" was unable to fix it reliably.

We have heard that some, if not all, of the problems with these are a manufacturing defect of cold solder joints. I can believe it because after my radio warms up a bit, I can get the controls to start working which makes me think that the warmth is closing an open cold joint somewhere in the circuit through expansion.

I plan to take mine apart at some point and see what I can find.

But another alternative is the aftermarket. Several owners have posted instructions and photos of aftermarket radio installs.

Old 01-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

The condition where no buttons work is almost certainly caused by one "sticking" button. The electronic circuitry used to sense these buttons is called "multiplexing" and if one button sticks on, the rest will not work. Google or check "multiplexing circuit" in Wikipedia to learn more!

In my case, the reason buttons were stuck on had to do with a cold drink falling forward from the cup holder and dousing the panel. Taking the radio panel apart and cleaning all of the contacts with contact cleaner fixed it.

The following 4 users liked this post by sparkenzap:
al_roethlisberger (01-08-2015), Don B (01-07-2015), littlelic69 (01-10-2015), MountainMan (01-09-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 09:25 PM
Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

Glad, I read this, specially about the sticking buttons. My radio won't respond to any buttons unless I hold the eject button for the cassette player for a while. Than it'll work for a short time before it gives up again and will have to hold the eject button to get the radio to listen to my input again. Definately going to try a few things with it soon.

al_roethlisberger (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member

"Bouncing" the suspect buttons rapidly will sometimes free them up, I think. And it sure beats tearing the radio apart!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
The condition where no buttons work is almost certainly caused by one "sticking" button. The electronic circuitry used to sense these buttons is called "multiplexing" and if one button sticks on, the rest will not work. Google or check "multiplexing circuit" in Wikipedia to learn more!

In my case, the reason buttons were stuck on had to do with a cold drink falling forward from the cup holder and dousing the panel. Taking the radio panel apart and cleaning all of the contacts with contact cleaner fixed it.
Hrmm, that is certainly interesting and is a quick fix/test before resoldering suspect cold solder joints across the PCB.

Thanks!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
"Bouncing" the suspect buttons rapidly will sometimes free them up, I think. And it sure beats tearing the radio apart!

Yes, and in my case, "bouncing" the 'tape eject' button seems to be the most common button to hit to get the radio going. So I'll start there.

Al

Old 01-08-2015, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

The cold solder joints were certainly suspect for the "CD not found" problem often reported!

al_roethlisberger (01-08-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Question

Originally Posted by Scarecrow
Glad, I read this, specially about the sticking buttons. My radio won't respond to any buttons unless I hold the eject button for the cassette player for a while. Than it'll work for a short time before it gives up again and will have to hold the eject button to get the radio to listen to my input again. Definately going to try a few things with it soon.
ME TOO! [see post above]

I also am often able to get the radio to respond eventually by hitting the 'tape eject' repeatedly.

I wonder if we are zeroing on the common failure point on these, the 'tape eject' button? It might make sense that button malfunctions because it is used so infrequently in today's world of CDs? ...interesting. Although it makes one wonder why the button 're-sticks' after clearing the problem once the radio is turned off and cools down. If the issue is that the button is sticking, it would seem to make sense that once the problem is cleared, and no one presses the 'tape eject' button again, the button shouldn't be 'stuck'? Anyone have a theory of why this would exhibit this behavior and have the radio controls often (not always) no longer responding after turning off the radio?

So, if we find that our historic radio problems (other than blown lights) are most often tied to:

1) The well known surface mount resistor cold solder joint for the CD changer connection error
2) 'Sticky' (dirty) buttons, perhaps specifically the 'tape eject' button, causing all face controls to be non-responsive

.... we may have solved one of the great electronic X300 mysteries of all time, along with memory seat control

Time will tell, but this is great info. It certainly is a better place to start than random testing. And cleaning a button/switch is a lot better than just about any other issue.

On the note of burned out bulbs, does anyone know the type/model bulb used to backlight the radio controls? I know they are soldered to the PCB. Mine are all burned out, so when I get into the radio I'll want to replace the lamps. The lamp for my LCD is fine.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 01-08-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Troy (09-24-2020)
Old 01-08-2015, 03:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 95 VDP radio would get "stuck" wherever it was (if the volume was high when it got stuck it wasn't pleasant). No buttons or controls would work at all. I found that it would reset if I pulled the fuse and then put it back in. I eventually put an aftermarket radio in with some custom mounting using ABS, superglue and a bit of bondo. All the original speakers were replaced also. They were shot.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:34 PM
Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

Update. I pressed my tape eject button somewhat hard, and now it works fine. I don't have to touch the eject button to get it to turn on anymore. Only problem I continue to have is the volume is hard to control. I can get it to work if I gently pull the knob slightly and turn. Although whether you have to turn it to the left or right to turn it up or down is always a mystery. Sometimes turning it to the right will turn the volume up, sometimes it will turn the volume down and vice versa. I found a volume level I'm comfortable with and left it there.

Troy (09-24-2020)
Old 01-16-2015, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Although the OP is perhaps long-gone, if your radio is stuck "off" pop in a tape. This turns it on - in my case, an adapter to 3.5mm to phone jack, allowing some volume and content control. Mine has taken the tack over the last year of being unresponsive after a few days at the airport. Usually returns to proper functionality within a week of daily driving. Also, as to volume, don't forget it increases at about 35 mph and again at 70 to compensate for increased ambient noise. Of course, whatever tape you put in, you'll be stuck with, I haven't tried press-and-hold on the eject yet, but press doesn't work when it is doing it.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member

I wonder if standard electrical switch cleaner (e.g. for pots and other electronic switches) will clear up these "sticky" switches?

Quick Reply: '95 XJ6 radio won't turn on