XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

'95 XJ6 shaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is interesting - I just got my XJ6, and I do; however, have all the paper work on the car, but I took mine to Auto Zone to have them hook it up to the computer because the check engine light was on, on my XJ6 and I have a misfire on cylinders 3,4, and 6.
The previous owner did say he's done tune ups on the car before, and when I bought it I changed the air filters and stuff, and I put some Lucas oil in the car because it sounded rough and that helped a lot, but I am reading on here *and got some advice from Doug as well* that its better to really leave to coil packs alone?
So, do you gent's think I should just change the plugs, and boots, and the gasket on the head and call it a day?
Stephen, congrats on you're new Jag man. Where abouts in DC are you? I am actually coming out in July to check out some schools. I am hoping to be moving out that way in the next year!

Jeff
1996 Jaguar XJ6 British Racing Green/ Tan leather interior

Old 06-13-2011, 01:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,952 Likes on 7,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff96
The previous owner did say he's done tune ups on the car before, and when I bought it I changed the air filters and stuff, and I put some Lucas oil in the car because it sounded rough and that helped a lot, but I am reading on here *and got some advice from Doug as well* that its better to really leave to coil packs alone?

Not sure if I remember exactly which thread you're referring to but I probably was suggesting that coils should be replaced IF there is a problem with them, and not be replaced just on general princples. IMHO, they're too expensive to replace just for the heck of it.

If you have a misfire problem there's a good chance that you DO have a coil problem but it could be other things as well.

So, do you gent's think I should just change the plugs, and boots, and the gasket on the head and call it a day?

If you have a multi-meter you can test the coils. Or sometime they will show visible evidence of a problem---burn marks, specifically.

"....gasket on the Head....". Do you mean the cam cover gasket?

Cheers
DD

Old 06-29-2011, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Doug,If I read the problems Stepfen had with his car then I would say this is the right description of my cars problems so....perhaps what you guys proposed him counts also for my problems....or partly...anyway a lot to find here on the forum...thanks

Old 06-30-2011, 02:28 AM

Update. Several weeks ago I had the car checked out by a local jag shop. The problem was a burnt valve on the second cylinder. They replaced that and the head gasket. $2000. Unfortunately, I'm still getting slight and occasional misfires on the first cylinder when idling--although nothing like the constant shaking before, due to zero compression on the second cylinder. The mechanic recommended that I purchase Lukas coils rather than the Beck-Arnley ones I already bought, which did not seem to help. He can order them for $130 each, and I may just do that, though it seems strange to me that the one I bought shouldn't work. I would expect an aftermarket part to maybe wear out sooner than the original manufacturer's, but its not working properly at all troubles me. It's one thing to spend money on a part that you've got some confidence will actually fix the problem, and another to do it just in case. That said, the mechanic really knows these cars, so maybe I should just buy the coils and have done with it.

Last edited by Stephen_Ri; 06-30-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,952 Likes on 7,196 Posts

If the misfire is positively isolated to a single cylinder you could spring for ONE Lucas coil and see if it helps.

My car is running great on the Beck Arnley coils but I AM worried about longevity due to reports of aftermarket coils not lasting as long as the Lucas brand. Fingers crossed, but I can't afford the difference in price right now.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-02-2011, 02:42 PM

Hello Guys, I have changed as told before the sparks,today made a control of the coils all have 1,1 Ohm so there is not my problem I think,no cracks in the coils....yesterday I found 2 coils,who have also this 1,1 ohm,so mine should be ok I think.An enthousiast collegue who has a xjs(right hand) and a xj6(left hand) and he has a lot of spare parts sold me the coils for a symbolic price of 12 USD...he is building the English dash out and replacing that for the left hand dash ...so a lot of spare parts and very cheap because he has no intrest in the rest of the car....doors 30 USD...mirrors 11 and so on...but back to my motor ....even do the sparks are replaced the coils seems to be ok ,I have the feeling that the motor runs on five cilinders...I hope my problem will not be the same as Steven´s. If any sugestions....will be glad

Old 07-06-2011, 11:39 AM

Hi,

Today I have checked all coils and sparks ,I have tried one by one and on the fourth...which I of course toolk as last started the 3 in the front of the car and started then from the backside of the motor ...and when I toolk out the spark I already saw the problem....the spark was completly new did not work after I replaced them all...put on it a new coil and my problem was solved...nice running motor no shaking anymore!
But still this smell of fuel .....mayby to replace the lambda sensor(oxygen sensor),this hopfully solves this problem and then again to the emisioncontrol as I got myselve a red card and I cannot come with the car on the road.

regards to all!

Patrick