XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

95 XJ6 Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 95 XJ6 Transmission Problem

New to this forum, Im currently scratching my head on this one... A guy i know has this 95 xj6 sitting at his house with some issues, im hoping i can get some pointers as im not to familiar with jags. The issue is the transmission, when i start the car and drive it down the road all is well, but as soon as it starts to warm up its like the trans looses pressure or something.. it acts like its in neutral and does not move in any gear... only does this when warmed up. Ive been doin my homework and ive come up with some ideas but im wanting some more ha one theory is that a snap ring is bad in the transmission on a drum? another would be abs sensors, any help is much appreciated sorry for the long post thanks!!

Old 02-28-2011, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Welcome to the forum Rob!

If you had an issue with ABS sensors, I'd think you'd have an "Anti Lock" light illuminated on the left side of the dash, almost half way up the stack. But come to think of it, that will only illuminate after a couple hundred yards of travel, if there is a problem. Traction control was optional on the '95's even though all had ABS. If this one has it, there should be a switch on the panel just right of the steering wheel and just inboard of the cruise control that you can cancel it if you think maybe it is screwed-up and putting the clamps on things.

Doesn't matter if you are in "normal" or "sport" mode?

I don't really know enough about the inner workings of the automagic gearbox to hazard a theory, but I do know these are electronically controlled and can sometimes exhibit markedly different behaviors between Normal and sport modes when they get a bit out of kilter. (There's a rocker on the center console aft of the J-gate to select mode.)

Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 PM

i was told it doesnt matter what mode its in, i know theres a check engine light on and im going to assume its something to do with the trans since thest of the car is mint, i seen that there is gm conversion kits for older jags do you know if the 95 is capable of the same swap? haha id like to buy the car but i dont wanna buy it just to have to throw a 2000 dollar trans in it lol thanks for the help!

Old 02-28-2011, 10:01 PM

also forgot to mention transmission light comes on.. could it be maybe the filter is plugged and loosing pressure when warm?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Check engine Light could be a number of things....it can be read by most any cheap OBDII scanner...I've got a $25 one from Amazon to clear my occasionally recurring P0411 codes...would bet a small sum that's what that one is too...secondary air pump...they are notorious for failing...but unless you have a smog inspection...no worries....it just pumps oxygen into the cats to warm them up quicker.

Transmission light may well tell you what the problem is. However, I'm not sure what flavor scanner can read that one short of the Jag/Ford WDS/IDS specific stuff. You called it an XJ6 and not an XJR nor did you mention a supercharger, so I assumed it didn't have one. If just a straight 6, naturally aspirated, it has a ZF (4HP24?? maybe) but if it has a supercharger the tranny will be a GM turbohydro 400 I think...cancel my previous comments about electronic control in that case.

Actually, my first thought was, "Does it do this after a fresh fluid and filter change?" but didn't want you to think I was insulting you...lol.

Not sure about the conversion...I've heard when the Jag engineers designed this car, they specifically made the distance between frame rails narrow so the Rover V-8 wouldn't fit...or maybe that was the series before..but honestly...and I've always had a healthy respect and admiration for the Chevy small block...but I wouldn't take 5 specially-built ones for the AJ-16 you've got in that one. Fabulous...gobs of torque and it comes in real smooth throughout the band.

Good luck in figuring it out. "Motorcarman" and "Brutal" are both Jag Techs that cruise through here on occasion and if you're lucky one or the other will weigh-in...chances are good that they've seen it before. I'm certain either will know what various scanners will read the trans codes at the very least...likely can diagnose your issue with a few pointed questions. There are others, no intent to leave anyone out. Those two just stand out from my own personal experiences here on the forum.

If you are thinking of buying it, do a search on this forum, there are several threads mentioning the likely problems and advantages/disadvantages and that way you'll have a quick primer on the x300 Jag and know what you are getting into.

-Zane

Old 03-01-2011, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Well, a used transmission for this car goes for less than a $1000. If the car is mint, save for this, I would get the problem diagnosed with wds and go frm there.