XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

97 4.0 xj6 Interior lights flicker and water in muffler.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 4.0 xj6 Interior lights flicker and water in muffler.

Well I've owned my jag for about 3 and a 1/2 months now and it's nearing 80k miles. When I open my door the interior lights flicker.. This started about 2 weeks ago, I joke with the Mrs. that it's a custom strobe light.
I thought I'd ask you guys before I investigate it myself because I'm not sure if this is a common problem or not.
Is it a bad door sensor?
Or a fuse?

Another problem I've had is that it rained the other day and now I hear a gargling noise coming from my passenger side exhaust. Also exhaust only comes out of one side when at idle. After a nice long drive I can see the water slowly dripping out. I assume it will eventually dry out but this has been going on for 3 days now and still a gargle. Hmmmm..

Any ideas?
All input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

The flickering light may be a failing solenoid or a dirty connection. You will need a wiring diagram to chase it down. jagrepair .com has wiring diagrams and more for your car.

The water and gargling probably indicates a partially blocked catalytic converter.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

The flickering is more than likely due to a bad connection in the door lock microswitch that signals when the door is open or with the associated wiring. I had the same problem and put up with it until it stopped working altogether. In my case I was preparing to remove the door lock and decided to check the plug/socket harness to the lock inside the door first and discovered that one of the pins had corroded and was not making contact. Problem solved and no need to dismantle the door lock (which does not look like fun). I think this switch also provides the connection for the puddle light and I am almost certain I read that another user removed the puddle light bulb to stop the flickering - but then you have no puddle light.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:33 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the exact same problem. Please search for "cabin lights were flickering" that I posted on 08-10-2014. That should help you find a solution. I am not sure how to share that thread.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:30 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by V126man
The flickering is more than likely due to a bad connection in the door lock microswitch that signals when the door is open or with the associated wiring. I had the same problem and put up with it until it stopped working altogether. In my case I was preparing to remove the door lock and decided to check the plug/socket harness to the lock inside the door first and discovered that one of the pins had corroded and was not making contact. Problem solved and no need to dismantle the door lock (which does not look like fun). I think this switch also provides the connection for the puddle light and I am almost certain I read that another user removed the puddle light bulb to stop the flickering - but then you have no puddle light.
This. Sometimes, you may be able to blast a bit of WD-40 in the door where the latch is.

I had this problem on my rear passenger door, and it fixed itself. The first time it happened, my friend pressed the "Trip" button on my steering column at the same time. It's been a joke ever since that my car likes to "trip out".

The problem went away with closing the door regularly. Sadly, the locking mechanism is still inop on that door...

Old 12-04-2015, 04:49 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Talking

Another problem I've had is that it rained the other day and now I hear a gargling noise coming from my passenger side exhaust. Also exhaust only comes out of one side when at idle. After a nice long drive I can see the water slowly dripping out. I assume it will eventually dry out but this has been going on for 3 days now and still a gargle.

Probably a clogged or partially clogged cat, that's how it works. I hope you don't live anywhere cold because it will freeze up in the winter and its a PIA to defrost. Last winter in Boston in February, never above freezing I had to jack up the rear and put the kerosene heater blowing down the exhaust pipe for about an hour and then drive it until it dried out

Attached Thumbnails 97 4.0 xj6 Interior lights flicker and water in muffler.-jag-exhaust.jpg  
Old 12-08-2015, 01:14 AM

About the clogged exhaust. I hooked her up to a obd 2 months ago and the oxygen level were jumping all over the place. Is it possible a faulty o2 sensor could clog up the cat with excess fuel??

Old 12-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If thetes too much fuel it can melt the substrate, causing it to plug up. Unburned fuel makes cat convertors run very hot. Fuel itself wont plug it up but the excess heat from the reaction will. Once that happens it cant be fixed, has to replaced or gutted. Is there a cide saved in the OBD2? Fix the bad sensor, or may even have an exhaust leak near the primary sensor throwing off the correct readings. The code uou get from the scanner should tell you which primary sensor is bad. May want to replace both so they will both be functioning the same.

Old 12-08-2015, 03:36 PM

It was a very poor obd scanner that my brother had so I'm not even sure if a code was saved.
I totally forgot that I have a small hole in the muffler. That small hole could have definitely caused the inaccurate reading.
I will need to fill that hole with some sort of mixing weld.
The cat is definitely clogged with a liquid because I can hear it gargle . Could I possibly unclog the cat with catalytic cleaner or Like lacquer thinner?

I read online that doing that did wonders for people but I'm not sure if it works the same for a cat that's clogged with liquid .

Old 12-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

It needs to be replaced.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hole in muffler is way too far away. Leak would have to be near the primary oxygen sensor to fool it, like a crack in the manifold or bad flange leak where the down pipe connects to the manifold. Before you replace the cat, fix the problem that is making it run too rich otherwise the new one will be ruined.