XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

97 XJ6 Shock Absorbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

I am about to replace the shocks on my X300 XJ6 Sport. After doing a bit of research it seems Bilstein is the recommended brand by Jag owners.

However I still have to decide on whether to go for the 'Touring Class' or 'Heavy Duty' option.

It seems the Sport models came out with a stiffer shock than standard. Britishparts.co.uk list a 'Comfort' Shock for the XJ6 and a 'Sport' Shock for the Sport model. Also the 'Sport' shock is listed as the 'Comfort' shock for the XJ12, obviously to do with the extra weight up front.

The Heavy Duty Bilstein's are more expensive but I don't want to get the Touring Class and find the car floats too much. But I am wary the Heavy Duty shock might go a bit too far with the stiffness.

In any case anything would be better than the current shocks. I have owned the car 6 months and wouldn't be surprised if the existing shocks were original given the amount of bounce I have. The top mounting bushes at the front have also disintegrated.

Has anyone has some experience with the Heavy Duty Shocks?

The following users liked this post:
BigBossRadio (04-01-2014)
Old 07-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Touring Class Shock X300

Bilstein Touring Class
(B36-1861-H0) Front (24-018616)

I put these on the front last year, they provide better control than the stock part and have a slightly firmer ride. They came with new bushes, my old ones were pounded flat. These shocks are not spongy or floaty at all and provide a smooth yet very controlled ride.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 PM

I still have full set if anyone wants them. PM me.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:57 PM

cstu, I sent you a PM yesterday, did you receive it?

Kevin Burnaby, thanks for your feedback on the Touring Class Bilstein shock

Old 10-05-2012, 02:53 PM
Old 10-06-2012, 04:03 AM

Hi cstu, I have already bought a set. Went for the Bilstein touring class. They are a big improvement but still I bit softer than I was hoping for

Old 10-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Talking Bilstein touring class

Originally Posted by marke
Hi cstu, I have already bought a set. Went for the Bilstein touring class. They are a big improvement but still I bit softer than I was hoping for
Did you change all four or just the fronts? I found the Bilstein Touring to be about 10% smoother than the originals, but with better control.

I changed the fronts first last summer and then the rears this summer. The ride hight is about one inch higher now and handling is tighter all around.

I grew up with big, rear wheel drive American cars and prefer a smoother ride. The Jaguar XJ was the closet thing that I found to the big car ride but with good handling, I hate most of the new cars and front wheel drive.

My XJ6 is just turned 16 years old, it smooth, quiet and has no squeaks or rattles. I still use it as my daily driver around town, Vancouver has it's share of speed bumps and constant road work.

For me the change to Bilstein Touring made me want to keep the car, I enjoy it all the more.

Last edited by Kevin Burnaby; 03-29-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:59 PM

I bought Bilstein Touring Class (B36-1861-H0) for the front about 2.5 years ago.
They started leaking last year and now I am getting thunking from the front end.

I sure hope the rears last longer than 30 months and 25,000 miles, that was a huge job.

In order to get warranty replacement you have to order new ones and ship the defective ones back on your dime. They will decide if they are defective and issue a credit if they concur.

The last I heard they were on back order for 5-6 weeks. I am not enjoying driving with every ripple in the pavement making noise.

I might try Munroe Spectrum OE next.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I just put the bilsteins on the front last week, its much better, but i wish there was something better than the stupid yellow bushings

Old 03-31-2014, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

You can put any bushings you like, there are plenty of rubber ones out there readily available that will work "however" Jaguar's are very unique in their "ride" characteristics. Those "stupid yellow bushings" are a small cog in the larger machine that makes an X300 ride like an X300.

Kevin Burnaby (04-18-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 10:28 PM
Received 13,205 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
You can put any bushings you like, there are plenty of rubber ones out there readily available that will work "however" Jaguar's are very unique in their "ride" characteristics. Those "stupid yellow bushings" are a small cog in the larger machine that makes an X300 ride like an X300.
I couldn't agree more, JTsmks! Those of us who have tried the black rubber bushes have learned the hard way - literally. Every bump becomes harsher, the steering becomes more vague, the car tramlines, and whether or not it's really possible, the car feels like the front end ride height has been increased, and not in a good way. The yellow foam bushes only last a few years, but the Jaguar engineers set up the front suspension based on their unique characteristics, so if you want your Jag to drive like one, yellow foam is the only choice.

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts
Default "stupid yellow bushings"

Having gone several years too long with the old front shocks and just replacing them, it is an order of magnitude better. I had replaced the rears a couple of years ago along with the shock mounts. The yellows seem very feeble and I noticed that the X308 does not appear to use them, so that was the reason for my comment. Having had the car since 99 i realize i have a jag and not a BMW

Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Received 13,205 Likes on 6,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Japthug
Mainly the cheap OEMs for X300 are BOGE's, which is a brand of ZF, it is like a second line of SACHS.
I can't speak for the part numbers that fit the X300, but for late XJ40s, the Boge and Sachs shocks are identical, with the same factory code stamped into their bodies, as was recently proven by a member of the XJ40.com forum. And for the record, Boge shocks were original equipment on some BMW M3s, so they're not a second line compared to anything.

Boges were original equipment on our '93 and after trying Bilsteins, I went back to Boge. The Bilsteins were too harsh on our Vanden Plas. I'm currently running Boges on the front and Sachs on the rears just because I got an exceptional deal on the Sachs, but they perform identically to the Boges.

There may be factory part numbers stamped into the bodies of your shocks that will give you a clue to the OE manufacturer so you can replace them with the same brand.

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-16-2014, 12:36 AM
Default X300 Front Shock bushings

Originally Posted by Don B
I couldn't agree more, JTsmks! Those of us who have tried the black rubber bushes have learned the hard way - literally. Every bump becomes harsher....The yellow foam bushes only last a few years, but the Jaguar engineers set up the front suspension based on their unique characteristics, so if you want your Jag to drive like one, yellow foam is the only choice.

Cheers,

Don
I have not replaced the front Bilsteins yet as I am not convinced that they are not worn out.

They are less than 3 years old and I think that the shop I went to used the wrong lower shock bushings. The car controls and rides well for the most part on even pavement but any ripple or even a manhole cover results in noise and harshness from the front end.

My next move is to hunt down the right lower front shock bushings and find some Jaguar repair shop in Vancouver that knows what they are doing.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,933 Likes on 7,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Burnaby
but any ripple or even a manhole cover results in noise and harshness from the front end.

Have the shop take a peek at the anti-roll bar bushings and end links as well.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Doug
Since you are the "go to man" here and quite the expert I'll start with you.
I have hammered out all the "Big Box Parking Dents" and repaired the torn part from the Front bumper. Sorted out the "Misfire/IG coil, Spark Plug" problem along with the cam cover gasket and oil well seals. Now its time to tackle the "Front Suspension".. The shock's have been there for years and it seems all the bushings are well past their "Use By Date"

So where do I start? I'm a just a "local street driver" not a racer...... so I'm not looking for a hard ride.... just a normal comfy ride. My budget is very tight.... and will tackle the work myself...... I have the time and place to do the work....

So any advice you can give me would be of great help.... I have read all the comments on "shocks" and am somewhat confused. I just want something comfy...... So what bushings and shocks would you recommend?

I have a 1997 XJ6 (X300)... 166049 miles on the clock.... not an XJR or X308

Thanks

BigBoss in Dalllas, TX

Attached Thumbnails 97 XJ6 Shock Absorbers-p1030357.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 05:28 AM
Received 210 Likes on 133 Posts

I am not Doug though...
Any aftermarket shocks are not as soft as genuine ones, so when you want a soft ride you have to go for genuine Bilstein or a set of Koni. But BOGE is the softest of all the aftermarket shocks IMO, but they are more expansive than Monroe or KYB. I will avoid using Chinese shocks though they are the cheapest...
KYB and Monroe is actually stiff, but still softer than general German cars and will give you a flat ride when driving on a highway. I don't think they are such a bad choice.

BigBossRadio (04-17-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

Just two weeks ago I replaced my stock Jaguar front shocks on my 97 XJ6L with these from Rock Auto...the price was $48 a pop + I googled a discount code for RockAuto and saved an additional 5%. These came with all bushings and hardware (yes the yellow foam ones) and while I don't judge ride/handling like a cigar taste tester like some here seem to do, I really like the way the car drives, turns, handles road bumps with these on. My factory Jaguar shocks had 73K on them and one wouldn't extend once compressed and was making a racket even after new top bushings were installed. I'm happy, my wallet isn't too much lighter and while they don't have hints of leather or orange peel they do seem to provide the ride/handling Jaguar intended for my car. YMMV

More Information for MONROE 39016

Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

JT
Thanks for that info. That sounds like what I want too and looks like the way to go.

Any info on the part numbers you used to order them?

BigBoss in Dallas, TX

Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member

BB, just go to RockAuto and use their drop down catalog, click "Jaguar" then it will keep opening as you select your year, model, engine etc, very easy and user friendly, they are under suspension and you will see they are $48.79 #39016 front....#39026 Rear ($53.79 for rears) if you google "discount code for RockAuto" once you copy a code just place it in the "where did you hear about us" block on the bottom of the order page and your price will drop by 5%.

The following 2 users liked this post by JTsmks:
BigBossRadio (04-18-2014), weisberg (10-22-2014)

Quick Reply: 97 XJ6 Shock Absorbers