XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

aftermarket sound system

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 05:49 AM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default aftermarket sound system

planing on installing complete soundsystem on the 1997 xj6l and wondering if anyone has managed to fit 8" midrange speakers in the doors. right now i have 6 1/2 on it and there was no issue fitting those. id like to fit 6 1/2 again but my question comes due to having being offered 4 8" at a bargain price.

also the rear deck woofer has anyone fitted an 8 inch woofer there? i know that one is a tuff location cause of the gas tank being there and having nearly no clearance for a deep woofer.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:58 PM
Received 351 Likes on 224 Posts

I put a subwoofer in the boot/trunk - it works OK

My 4 door speakers were stuffed - they were replaced with 6" JVCs but these 'buzzed' on the door cards so were swapped with 5 1/4". Not much midrange bass - I wish the installer had gone to a better small speaker - eg an Alpine 5 1/4" of the higher series (he was trying to save me money despite me wanting beefier door speakers)

My next move is 2 x 6 1/2" Alpine R-types on the rear parcel shelf for mid-bass, running off the amp that powers the sub (in the trunk). My car doesn't have the factory subwoofer in the back.

I am geting there slowly..

Old 06-10-2013, 02:20 PM

nice, ive had no problems with the 6 1/2 on the doors. id like to swap the head unit aswell but i dont want the center console to look ugly, kind of hard to find a nice headunit that suits the rest of the panel without some modifications. since my clock doesnt work i tought of removing it and installing a double din touch screen and making the frame with fiber glass. but again dont want something odd looking there. I had a woofer in the trunk a while back but it didnt pass much bass to the cabin. i guess removing the stock woofer would leave a nice port for the bass to make it to the cabin.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I thought about the double-DIN route, but decided against it. Yeah, my clock is shot, but I'd need to relocate the seat heater switches, the hazard switch, and the lock button. That would be easy if the j-gate wasn't so large.

So, single-DIN is what I used. I don't think it looks bad, and it gives me a place to toss my phone when I'm driving.

This is what I got for my car:
JVC KDX50BT JVC KDX50BT
. The rear USB port uses a USB dongle, plus there's a USB port up front.

I stepped up to a nicer model for my wife's car, JVC Arsenal KD-A845BT, the bluetooth is built in, and a USB drive sits in the glove box, leaving an open USB port up front for charging, or other media input.

Both of them have custom colors for all areas of the display, so you can make it to match the Jaguar dash light colors. I use bright red during the day to combat glare.

Last edited by mgb4tim; 06-10-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, Just wondering, is there a supplier for the faceplate adapter to make an aftermarket stereo look like it fits the car?

Old 06-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default X 300 DIN surround

Nexxia.co.uk has a very nice adapter that I used to install a single DIN Alpine. If you didn't know what came in that spot originally, you wouldn't know it's aftermarket....

Old 06-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default rear deck

Originally Posted by AL NZ
I put a subwoofer in the boot/trunk - it works OK

My 4 door speakers were stuffed - they were replaced with 6" JVCs but these 'buzzed' on the door cards so were swapped with 5 1/4". Not much midrange bass - I wish the installer had gone to a better small speaker - eg an Alpine 5 1/4" of the higher series (he was trying to save me money despite me wanting beefier door speakers)

My next move is 2 x 6 1/2" Alpine R-types on the rear parcel shelf for mid-bass, running off the amp that powers the sub (in the trunk). My car doesn't have the factory subwoofer in the back.

I am geting there slowly..
Hey, I have the 2 x 6x9's rear deck set up. I posted a topic of them a while ago. I'm sure you can find it by checking under my username. It wasn't hard to make.Just get a dremel tool and a drill gun. I have all Polk Audio MM's running in my car, Doors are 6 1/2 and rear deck is 6x9's. The rear deck drowns out the front door speakers but it sounds really good still, it all depends on where your sitting. I had a sub in the trunk but got rid of it due to the 6x9 hitting hard and giving a clearer sound in the car. Its a awesome set up for rock music due to low bass and high quality sound but I listen to stuff with more bass. I have songs that I definitely wish I had my sub back in for but I don't regret installing the 6x9, it was a good move.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:20 PM

i think it sounds plenty loud with 6 1/2 door speakers if i modded the rear deck it would be for a woofer

Old 06-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgb4tim
I thought about the double-DIN route, but decided against it. Yeah, my clock is shot, but I'd need to relocate the seat heater switches, the hazard switch, and the lock button. That would be easy if the j-gate wasn't so large.

So, single-DIN is what I used. I don't think it looks bad, and it gives me a place to toss my phone when I'm driving.

This is what I got for my car: JVC KDX50BT. The rear USB port uses a USB dongle, plus there's a USB port up front.

I stepped up to a nicer model for my wife's car, JVC Arsenal KD-A845BT, the bluetooth is built in, and a USB drive sits in the glove box, leaving an open USB port up front for charging, or other media input.

Both of them have custom colors for all areas of the display, so you can make it to match the Jaguar dash light colors. I use bright red during the day to combat glare.

That first JVC you listed looks nice. I read the description but didn't see anything about it controlling the antenna. Does it have that ability?

Old 06-11-2013, 04:30 PM

im pretty sure you can control the antenna with the remote signal from the radio. same output that turns on the amps. some headunits come with 2 remote outputs.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 AM
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by jgjeeper
That first JVC you listed looks nice. I read the description but didn't see anything about it controlling the antenna. Does it have that ability?
It does trigger the antenna.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:51 AM
doc
Received 202 Likes on 169 Posts
Default aftermarket sound sytem

I am on my second aftermarket set-up

I originally had an alpine DVD CD I pod controller but it had a poor random function on the I pod
I don't listen to the radio CD or tapes any more got a 120gb I pod its got my whole album collection on it from the last 35 years

I have since gone to this alpine head unit Alpine Electronics of Australia
and this sound field generator Alpine Electronics of Australia
With these speakers http://www.jlaudio.com/tr600-cxi-car-audio-tr-coaxial-systems-91032
with this amp PUNCH Amplifiers - PBR300X4 - Rockford Fosgate®

Its got a great sound but not much bass so I am going to mount 4 of these Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker 299-028 under the 4 seats in the car

They use these things in High end audio set-ups for convertibles

The Boxter my old girlfriend had years ago had them under the drivers and passenger seats sounded awesome and not having a huge sub and amp in the boot should hopefully not rattle my car to pieces time will tell
I want a non intrusive sound system this time round and don't want to mess with the car to much

My old XJ40 had an amazing custom system fitted to it but the sub-woofer nearly took up the whole boot and the XJR has a smaller boot already that's why I have been experimenting with minimal modifications

Ill get there eventually it will do for the moment

Old 06-13-2013, 06:28 AM
Received 351 Likes on 224 Posts

I installed a Parrot Asteroid Classic 4 months ago for its good hands-free phone ability and its voice-activated music choice when iphone connected by 30-pin plug (this only works with voice when physical connection, not with bluetooth)

I will admit it hasn't been all love, and I have cursed the Parrot on Parrot forums when it crashed. But it works again, and it works well.

It looks good in an X300 - not too 'flashy'
It runs the 4 door speakers, plus has 3 RCA channels - currently running an amplified sub in the boot. Soon to have two 6.5" R-type Alpines in rear parcel shelf running off same amp, for better mid-bass.

I would still recommend the Parrot, now I have it sorted. However I have had to update the software from version 1.6.1 to v2.0.0 to get it going a month ago - it crashed and froze on v1.6.1 , a common problem. It is easy to update if you have a PC to download the update off internet. However I struggled as we are an Apple household, and whilst the file appeared to download on Mac, it never worked..

It runs well with all my music stashed in a 500GB hard-drive permanently connected through its USB cable. I don't bother connecting the ipod cable anymore. It runs much more stably like this, than trying to run all music off iphone when it would spazz out if I got a call

When I was thinking of having the Parrot removed a month ago (before I could get the v2.0 update into it to sort it out), I looked around the net again.
I had decided on a Pioneer to replace it - DEH-80PRS - CD Receiver with 3-Way Active Crossover Network, Auto EQ, and Auto Time Alignment | Pioneer Electronics USA

This Pioneer sounds as if it has excellent sound, but for the moment I will stick with the Parrot - it is really stable now the music is on a hard drive.

I will post some picks once rear speakers are in, in a week or so.

Attached Thumbnails aftermarket sound system-photo.jpg