XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

AJ16 virtues and vices?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016 | 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
The 4.0L AJ6/AJ16 engine is indeed a long stroke (90mm bore x 102mm stroke) engine so is better suited to producing high torque at lower speed than making high specific power (eg 100bhp/litre) at higher speeds. The 4.0L AJ16 engine produces 400Nm (ie 100Nm/litre) which is still to this day a respectable output for a naturally aspirated engine, especially one without variable valve timing or direct injection and without the benefit of any computer simulation techniques to help with optimisation. With its 102mm log stroke, it would be difficult to tune the engine to produce peak power at a high engine speed, by modern standards. However, it would be quite practical to tune this engine to produce peak power at over 6000rpm, as this would only equate to 20.2m/s mean piston speed. This is quite a modest piston speed to make peak power. The 3.8 litre 6 cylinder BMW M5 engine of the same period produced its peak power at 21.8m/s with its 94.6mm stroke engine running at 6,900rpm. The standard rev limiter on the AJ16 engine is set at 5,950rpm, but could be raised by reprogamming the ECU. I would disagree that the port design of the AJ16 is in some way inherently unsuitable for producing high power outputs. The valve/ piston area ratio is reasonable for a 4 valve pent roof combustion chamber design. The mean port velocities would be reasonable (108m/s) at a mean piston speed of 20m/s. The port to valve angle axis is about 40 degrees and the intersection of port to valve axis allows for a large inner corner radius. With careful modification it is quite possible to achieve a port flow coefficient of over 0.68 at high valve lifts. This is quite respectable. If the cam profiles, intake and exhaust geometries were optimised to produce peak power at 6000rpm, it should be possible to produce about 300bhp from a Jaguar AJ16 engine. However, nobody has ever commissioned me to produce such an engine for them.
I completely agree that the AJ6/AJ16 is a well designed engine for its intended purpose: moving a heavy Sedan (xj40, x300) or an almost as heavy Grand Tourer (XJS) with a 4-speed automatic transmission. Hence the long stroke, and all the other optimizations for low-end torque. Absent variable valve timing and forced induction, you can either have a top-happy or a bottom-happy engine but not both. AJ16 was designed to produce torque at low RPM range to get the heavy Jaguars going from a stop.

What do you think about the following idea: Start with a 3.6 rotating assembly. Re-sleeve the block using Darton wet sleeves, increasing the bore to maximal displacement possible. This will yield a rev-happy oversquare engine of with displacement somewhere in the 3.8 liter area. With a ported head it might make a very nice engine for an XJS couple with a manual transmission.

Speaking of transmissions, ZF 4HP24 is a great unit in terms of reliability, especially when compared to 5HP24. I think it's the combination of 4 speed trans and rear end ratio that makes X300 feel slow. You can change the rear end and destroy the fuel economy, plus the long stroke 4.0 is not a very rev-happy beast.

What are the known options for installing a manual trans into X300/X306 without too much hassle? I am in the US, so finding an original Getrag 290 and shipping it across the pond may both expensive and time-consuming. We have plenty of Tremec transmissions from various American cars and Getrags from various BMWs. If someone could suggest a known adapter, kit or bellhousing for installing one of these I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-15-2016 | 01:48 PM

Over-boring a 3.6L engine in order to create a less under-square engine of a larger capacity seems like a lot of work., but feel free to have a go.

These engines have never been developed to run beyond 5950rpm, so I don't know what would be required in order to get them to reliably run at much higher speeds. They did suffer from torsional vibration problems with the crankshaft due to its length and long stroke. Unless you want to make peak above at very high speeds, the 102mm stroke isn't really the limiting factor. 7000rpm equates to a mean piston speed of 24m/s. This is quite routine for high specific output naturally aspirated engines. However the mean port velocity will be quite high on a standard AJ6/AJ16 cylinder head by this point, so the valves and ports would need to be enlarged if there is enough wall thickness in the casting.

Old 05-15-2016 | 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
Over-boring a 3.6L engine in order to create a less under-square engine of a larger capacity seems like a lot of work., but feel free to have a go.

These engines have never been developed to run beyond 5950rpm, so I don't know what would be required in order to get them to reliably run at much higher speeds. They did suffer from torsional vibration problems with the crankshaft due to its length and long stroke. Unless you want to make peak above at very high speeds, the 102mm stroke isn't really the limiting factor. 7000rpm equates to a mean piston speed of 24m/s. This is quite routine for high specific output naturally aspirated engines. However the mean port velocity will be quite high on a standard AJ6/AJ16 cylinder head by this point, so the valves and ports would need to be enlarged if there is enough wall thickness in the casting.
Catching resonance harmonics and breaking the crank is something that scares me, when it comes to revving an i6 engine high. While enlarging the ports will allow the engine to breathe at high RPM, it will necessarily sacrifice some low end torque. You can't have both without VVT, sadly.

I looked at an XJR6 today. I kinda like it, but it has a bit of a lag when accelerating. Otherwise it looks nice and clean. I am wondering if I should start with a less ambitious project. Has anyone on this board used an m90/m112 hybrid supercharger, or an aftermarket positive displacement unit?

Old 05-16-2016 | 05:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by juha_teuvonnen
Catching resonance harmonics and breaking the crank is something that scares me, when it comes to revving an i6 engine high. While enlarging the ports will allow the engine to breathe at high RPM, it will necessarily sacrifice some low end torque. You can't have both without VVT, sadly.

I looked at an XJR6 today. I kinda like it, but it has a bit of a lag when accelerating. Otherwise it looks nice and clean. I am wondering if I should start with a less ambitious project. Has anyone on this board used an m90/m112 hybrid supercharger, or an aftermarket positive displacement unit?
Juha,
If you found the acceleration in an XJR disappointing, I am wondering whether the luxury saloon sector will be the best way to meet your requirements, but given your concern with resonance in an in line six cylinder crankshaft, and desire for an m112 supercharger, might I suggest an X308 XJR? A much simpler and cheaper option, although for what it is worth, in my view the x300 is the better car.

Old 05-16-2016 | 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by countyjag
Juha,
If you found the acceleration in an XJR disappointing, I am wondering whether the luxury saloon sector will be the best way to meet your requirements, but given your concern with resonance in an in line six cylinder crankshaft, and desire for an m112 supercharger, might I suggest an X308 XJR? A much simpler and cheaper option, although for what it is worth, in my view the x300 is the better car.

Which is a very good point.

I have full appreciation and admiration for those who take the time, expense, and effort to research, modify, tweak, rebuild, re-engineer, etc to gain the extra performance they want. There's a lot of satisfaction to be gained.

OTOH, it is SO much easier....nowadays more than ever.... to simply go out and buy a car with the level of performance you want.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-16-2016 | 02:54 PM

I agree Doug but new cars are disposable, just like how we treat our packaged food, and even human beings anymore. I love my 1997 that was made when (some) cars were built to last. My smartphone does most of the fancy stuff the new cars do. While sometimes owning this car is a major pain in my *** it's punk rock to drive a classic Jaguar

The following users liked this post:
Doug (05-17-2016)
Old 05-17-2016 | 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by countyjag
Juha,
Well, I didn't find a the acceleration of the BMW 540i particularly disappointing. Granted, it was not in the same league as the C5 corvette and Mitsubishi Evolution that I used to drive, but I could totally live with that kind of acceleration. My priorities have changed after my daughter was born. I'd rather put money into her college fund than shell it out for a shiny new car. IMHO the X300/X306 Jaguar is an awesome used car than can be had for short money. I paid $700 for an X300 with 100K that needed a bit of work. If you take care of the Jag and don't allow the to rust they will last a very long time. This is not true of the BMW, in my experience the bimmers don't age well. I am just trying to see how I can have a little more fun without breaking the bank. I love the design, style and presence of the X300. IMHO it's one of the nicest looking cars ever designed. I have back problems and the Jaguar is one of the few cars that I can drive for hours without having back pain.

I found an XJR6 with 100K on the clock in very good condition for 3K. I doubt that I'd be able to find a supercharged X308 in the same condition below 6K. I don't know how reliable the Mercedes trans is in the X308 XJR. I am not a rabid fan of 5HP24 found in the normally aspirated X308. Which is why I have been staying away from X308 that can be had for short money too. I looked into an LS1 swap into x308, but it's more money and work that I am willing to spend at the time. If a reasonably priced 5 speed manual swap were available for X308, that would make it a great car too.

Old 06-02-2018 | 02:46 PM
Default Aston Martin Db7 has a Jaguar engine, modified by TWR

but I do not know if it was an AJ6 or an AJ16

Old 06-02-2018 | 03:09 PM
Veteran Member

The valve cover on the AJ6 is fluted and the AJ16 is smooth like a Rolls Royce jet engine casting .

You will see a different Lucas part number on the MAF sensor as 20 AM series .

From what I know the Aston Martin Db7 had the AJ16

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-02-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2018 | 03:51 PM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Henri Rene Graber
but I do not know if it was an AJ6 or an AJ16
the Aston had a modified AJ6

there was someone on these boards who would have peculiar questions until he admitted to owning the Aston.

Lady Penelope (06-02-2018)
Old 06-18-2018 | 09:53 PM

Hi all,
Have an X306 AJ16 S/C in my /89 XJS (with original auto trans) and was wondering where I can see the actual Torque and Power curves - have 'googled', in vein.
Being a long-stroker (as mentioned above), I don't see any point in wringing it's neck and wondered where the 'sweet-spot' for shift-change might be?
Regards,
Steve
Australia

Old 06-19-2018 | 05:24 AM

I think, from memory, peak torque is at 3050rpm, and is about 500Nm
My XJR has the powerhouse drive pulley which is 10% bigger, and maxes out the airflow meter at about 4000-4500 rpm. It has great torque from 2500-4000 rpm.

Bonn (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018 | 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by AL NZ
I think, from memory, peak torque is at 3050rpm, and is about 500Nm
My XJR has the powerhouse drive pulley which is 10% bigger, and maxes out the airflow meter at about 4000-4500 rpm. It has great torque from 2500-4000 rpm.
Thanks AL,
So, for maximum acceleration, should the gear change be at max power, max torque or just above max torque?

Old 06-19-2018 | 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Bonn
Thanks AL,
So, for maximum acceleration, should the gear change be at max power, max torque or just above max torque?
after my post two above, I paid more attention to the torque/revs today. It pulls well from about 1700rpm, and really well from 2000-4000
i guess play around with shift points , but you shouldn’t need to rev past 4500 unless you’re really street racing.
I’d recommend a new Bosch electric water intercooler pump if you are still using the 20 yr old Hella original, and upgrading the supercharger drive pulley to a Powerhouse one - it makes a real difference to midrange power/torque

Bonn (06-19-2018)
Old 06-19-2018 | 07:45 PM

Thanks AL,
Yes, the Bosch went in, last year - along with a Haltech ECU. I do race and am still a bit blurry on what gear to be in, due to the Omni-present torque ;-) The larger pulley is definitely on the plan for next year - along with a re-map/dyno. btw it only produced 221BHP at the rear axle (direct-coupled) which was a disappointment, but the Dyno shop said to allow 1/3 loss, on their gear/my car. That means 331BHP...
Cheers,
Steve

Old 06-20-2018 | 02:47 AM

Andy XJR Engineer on these forums is probably the man to talk to about remaps

The following 3 users liked this post by AL NZ:
Bonn (06-21-2018), dejer (05-12-2022), XJRengineer (06-23-2018)
Old 06-21-2018 | 12:13 AM

Thanks again, AL - yes, many moons ago I was subscribed to XJR6.com and understand Andy's unique breadth of knowledge and experience, on these engines - and also understand his insistence that the factory ECU is the only ECU to use. Mine wouldn't work with the factory ECU, being in a different Gen car, but am always open to suggestions.

XJRengineer (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018 | 02:18 AM

Bonn,
It would be possible to run the AJ16 SC engine in your 89MY on the standard EMS XJS. I've successfully helped many owners install this engine in non-X300 vehicles be disbaling the engine immobiliser. However, as you have now mapped a Haltech ECU to run the engine, there is less benefit in reverting to the standard EMS, unless you want better driveability and emission control.

Bonn (06-23-2018)
Old 06-23-2018 | 05:34 PM

Thanks Andy,
That's good to know, given i still have the XJR ECU stashed away.
The car has the potential to be hairy to drive, in the wet, i.e. due to lack of traction control - not recommended for a novice/learner!
Overall, a lot of fun and an incredible power-plant - would imagine the manual trans makes for a superb drivers' car......
Cheers,
Steve
Oz

Old 06-24-2018 | 04:17 AM

Steve
As you have already completed the major challenge of installing an AJ16 SC engine in an XJS, I'm sure you could do a manual conversion as well, if you wanted. The parts could be sourced from any manual XJ40 or X300.

The "traction control" on X300 is pretty crude. I've experience the rear of my manual XJR get "loose" accelerating off a roundabout in the drive, when there must have been a diesel spill on the road. The traction control is nowhere near the level of modern stability control systems.

The following 3 users liked this post by XJRengineer:
Bonn (12-16-2018), gazza836 (07-23-2021), someguywithajag (01-10-2021)

Quick Reply: AJ16 virtues and vices?