XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Another Headunit Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Another Headunit Question

1996 XJR6 with premium audio
Alright.. Sorry about another post about this stupid topic, I did a huge amount of research but somehow I could not find a obvious answer as to how to or where to go from this point .

My Alpine headunit is experiencing the "NO CONT" symptom and refuses to connect with the cd changer at the back so after reading the forum i know that United Radio do refurbish these things and i sent my unit to them to refurbish.
Few days later they told me that the capacitor on the circuit board is leaking onto the board and they could not source another board for me so the radio is consider NOT fixable.

I know that the "NO CONT" message is related to the smb module on the board, surely they would know that? since they had to repair many of these radios in the past so i'm gonna go on a hunch that they had the right diagnostic result.

Now my option is to either find a good quality used radio? which is like finding a needle in the hay stack or go with an aftermarket headunit, i know many of you already got a newer aftermarket headunit in your car. so can one of you audio guru tell me what exactly do i need to use my old speaker with the newer headunit and which unit to use.

I called around asking shops around my local area, some shop told me that all speaker has to be replaced for an aftermarket headunit to work, others told me that a aftermarket headunit + an 4ch amp + another amp for the bass will power all the speakers, again none of the options are below $1200 CAD

again i apologize about the long *** post, if someone could shine some light on the situation that would be brilliant!.

Jacky

Last edited by FrozenApple; 03-11-2015 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

You might find this helpful:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nt-turn-54075/

Has the address/info for "Southern Electronics" which sound like they MAY have a better track record than "United".

It also has the URL for the "NO CONT" detailed cause and repair how-to which identifies the specific SMD component that causes the issue.

I plan to send mine off to Southern once I have the $250-300 available to have the radio completely refurbished so I can maintain the stock look and operation.

Hope that info helps.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
You might find this helpful:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nt-turn-54075/

Has the address/info for "Southern Electronics" which sound like they MAY have a better track record than "United".

It also has the URL for the "NO CONT" detailed cause and repair how-to which identifies the specific SMD component that causes the issue.

I plan to send mine off to Southern once I have the $250-300 available to have the radio completely refurbished so I can maintain the stock look and operation.

Hope that info helps.

Thank you ! but according to united radio, its not that they cannot fix it , its that alpine no longer carry parts for such radio so there is literally no way for them to fix it.

I'm unsure if thats true or not, my radio works perfectly fine. but when it comes to cd it plays whenever it feels like playing lol "NO CONT" error I will however call them to get a second opinion, at this point i'm willing to try anything .

Old 03-11-2015, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Well, fortunately there are a lot of used units on eBay for about $30-50 so you might be able to get a parts donor or entire unit more appropriate for repair.

Southern gave me the impression they would have no problem repairing/refurbishing "as new" and our forum mate with all the XJ12s has had several rebuilt by Southern with no issues. The do however caution that burned, flooded, "bad DIY repairs" or other similar severe damage may not be repairable.

So you might check with them.

The "NO CONT" error is well documented, so you could also send them that documentation to assist in describing your problem.

Good luck.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 03-11-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:35 PM

Well, fortunately there are a lot of used units on eBay for about $30-50 so you might be able to get a parts donor.

Southern gave me the impression they would have problem repairing/refurbishing "as new" and our forum mate with all the XJ12s has had several rebuilt by Southern with no issues.

So you might check with them.

The "NO CONT" error is well documented, so you could also send them that documentation to assist in describing your problem.

Good luck.

Yea,, checked ebay only one person selling radio, i'm gonna look around junkyard see if they have a used unit tomorrow . As for the whole "refurbishing" united radio couldn't even find a darn LCD for my radio, my had a slight crack on it.. so it sounds like.. they can't find any parts for the radio at all lol

Old 03-13-2015, 01:48 AM

ok so i was able to source another working radio at the junkyard! had to do some long *** driving and some tests before paying.. but it worked out in the end

Old 03-13-2015, 03:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 470 Posts

Glad it worked out. Southern was able to replace an lcd screen on one of my radio's. For future reference if needed they can fix our jag radio's for under $300.00 with a one year warranty on the entire radio. They have done 4 for me now with no issue's.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Glad it worked out. Southern was able to replace an lcd screen on one of my radio's. For future reference if needed they can fix our jag radio's for under $300.00 with a one year warranty on the entire radio. They have done 4 for me now with no issue's.
Yep, and on my list with the clock repair for this spring/summer.

I'm tired of the volume getting stuck at full blast always coincidentally when I need to make/take a phone call ....it's like it is psychic

It would be funny if it weren't so inconvenient!

Old 03-13-2015, 10:28 PM

Yep, and on my list with the clock repair for this spring/summer.

I'm tired of the volume getting stuck at full blast always coincidentally when I need to make/take a phone call ....it's like it is psychic

It would be funny if it weren't so inconvenient!

nice! i just fixed my clock last week, ill wait till this headunit stops working and send it to southern electronics see what they can do for me.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:50 PM

ok headunit fixed by resoldering the smd module, saved myself couple hundred dollars and fyi just do it yourself save money and time.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FrozenApple
ok headunit fixed by resoldering the smd module, saved myself couple hundred dollars and fyi just do it yourself save money and time.
Great! That's fantastic news!

Wish that, or one issue like yours, were my only problem. If so, I'd definitely just fix it myself.

I've got a handful of issues with mine, so I'm going to still send it off for a full refurb since I don't know what else may be broken or about to be....

My radio's face, controls, LCD and general cosmetics are a "10" so I want to get it back to like new functionality and keep it stock. Since a good new aftermarket head unit is $150-300, I'm OK with spending $250 to bring a 20yr unit back to new.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member

So I sent mine off to Southern Electronics, and the charge to refurb the unit was $250.

They turned the radio around and it was back on my doorstep in less than a week which is amazing, and all shipping to and from is included, so you're really looking at a real cost closer to $200 depending on where you are shipping it from.

Unfortunately when I hooked it up there was at least one LCD segment out. But they were very quickly responsive, issued another free shipping label, and I sent it to them on Wednesday and it was back on Friday. Amazing.

They were great to work with, and although I can't say much about the long term durability of the work since I literally just got the radio back..... so far their excellent customer service and amazing turnaround says a lot. I don't expect any problems based on the quality of the radio's repair, labeling of the repair work on the radio and excellent packaging.

Thumbs up!

Old 08-02-2015, 08:50 AM
Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts

My 95 with premium sound & HK system showed "no cont" about 5yrs ago . Southern did the fix. This year it started showing no cont again, wouldn't play cd's just sometimes though. I did all the research on fixing & trying to get a direct replacement with no luck . My conclusion's: [1 How can an expensive top end car like Jaguar install such a JUNK/CHEAP sound system ! I never had this many radio problems with my cheap low end radio/tape/cd's. [2: The only practical thing to do is "bit the bullet" & get a new aftermarket system. Others have done it. Getting a used unit is only putting off the inevitable IMOP or forget using the cd player with that head unit. Fixed or not it will show "no cont" @ some point !
Lawrence

Old 08-02-2015, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by 44lawrence
My 95 with premium sound & HK system showed "no cont" about 5yrs ago . Southern did the fix. This year it started showing no cont again, wouldn't play cd's just sometimes though. I did all the research on fixing & trying to get a direct replacement with no luck . My conclusion's: [1 How can an expensive top end car like Jaguar install such a JUNK/CHEAP sound system ! I never had this many radio problems with my cheap low end radio/tape/cd's. [2: The only practical thing to do is "bit the bullet" & get a new aftermarket system. Others have done it. Getting a used unit is only putting off the inevitable IMOP or forget using the cd player with that head unit. Fixed or not it will show "no cont" @ some point !
Lawrence
resoldering the smd module fixed both of my headunit, it is the cheapest fix ever i suggest you start there