XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Another My Jaguar Won't Start Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another My Jaguar Won't Start Thread.

Hi all, this seems to be a recurring post on this forum but I have a few issues that haven't been covered in the other threads, also I would like to share my story. My father had given me his 1995 jaguar vanden plas in late 2010. I used it as my daily driver for only about 4 months and during this time the car ran pretty well, but did have it's quirks. Would sometimes conk out while idling at a stop light (very rarely) Also, interior lights did not work. I then parked the car in my mother's driveway and moved overseas for about 5 years. I asked her and my brothers to take care of the car but they didn't touch it once. Now that I'm back in the states I want to get my car up and running again.

This is where the next chapter begins. First things first, I purchased a new battery. I plugged it in and just like 5 years before, everything worked fine except for the interior lights. Headlights, high beams, hvac, radio all windows etc. I thought okay, good, electronics are all working like before. Let me get started on the mechanical aspects.

Checked the gas tank, it was filled with water and rust. Pulled it, emptied it, flushed it out, replaced fuel pump and fuel filter. The hard part was over I thought.

Changed the oil, and oil filter flushed the coolant.

Cleaned the MAF and throttle body.

Did the spark plugs. Contact points in all coils looked fine, but there was a lot of oil in the spark plug wells. Thoroughly cleaned everything and installed new spark plugs. Valve cover gasket will come at a future time.

Excited to get the car back running, I went and got the battery out of the basement and hooked it up. This is where the trouble began. Unlike last time, the car did not turn on like before. Confused, I start searching in all the areas I did work in to see if I forgot to plug anything back in or if anything fell out.

I found a large plug above the right hand side of the fuel tank that must have come a little loose. I pushed it back in and instantly the car alarm went off. Success, I thought. I go to turn the ignition I get an "er" on the hvac unit, radio doesn't work, head lights don't work, etc. I try over and over and finally I get it to a point where the hvac works, radio works, all windows work, cigarette lighter works. What is not working are the head lights, window wipers, indicators. Also, when I first turn the key in the ignition, I can hear the fuel pump in the boot working.

Dash lights up, stays on for a couple of seconds, and then the CEL, light bulb and fuel lights stay on. The P on the shifter is lit up as well, but cannot be shifted to neutral. The weird thing is that when I go to crank the engine, nothing happens. No clicking, no noises, but the srs airbag light turns on and then off. Then I can't try again unless I remove and then re insert the key. Also, The key fob no longer locks the doors, but does open them when locked with a key. They Right button does nothing.

Immediately bought a multimeter and check all fuses, only one was blown which was for the interior lighting. Replaced it and still no interior lighting or anything else mentioned above.

After reading up on this board I am getting highly suspicious of the BPM. I jut find it so weird that just 2 weeks ago all of these things work fine, and it was only after I did all that maintenance the things decided to go south.

I'm gonna start checking all the relays. I removed the BPM and there was a rattling noise inside it. I figured ok, this is the problem. I opened it up and everything looked fine, the only thing causing the rattling was what looked like a little star washing/clip and I couldn't find anyplace where it would have came from.

I'm very tempted to just buy a used BPM as some shot gun trouble shooting, but wanted to see if anyone else has any advice first.

Sorry for the novel, but I thought writing the whole story may help in finding the issue. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 10-08-2016, 02:42 PM

Update: Bought a used BPM, plugged it in and things are working again. Starter is cranking but the car is not firing up. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Drossvet; 10-08-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 04:35 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

When you crank the engine, does the tach needle rest at zero, or does it hover around 200 rpm? (I did not read the orig post in its entirety)

If at zero, replace CKPS.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:19 PM

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the tachometer reads 200 rpm when cranking. In the next few days I'm going to check for ignition spark at the coil packs and if that is good then check for fuel pressure.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Try fully charging the battery, I had the same issue. battery was only 75% and same thing.

Old 10-16-2016, 11:22 PM

Thanks for your reply, the battery reads 12.6 volts. It is a brand new AGM. I have a found a new issue I will create a new thread for.

Old 10-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 517 Likes on 368 Posts

We have had a persistent theme in recent times of replacement Crankshaft Position Sensors fixing starting issues, and that is what Caldercay was getting at when he asked about the tacho reading 200 when cranking. If it doesnt, it is virtually 100% certain it is the CPS. However, it seems that even when the tacho shows 200, the CPS can still be faulty, and it might be worth replacing it just to rule it out. The worst that can happen is that you will have a spare CPS, which with an X300 is never a bad thing!