XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Anyone reupholster their headliner with anything other than cloth?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 10:33 PM
Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Anyone reupholster their headliner with anything other than cloth?

Just removed the headliner because it started sagging. Was going to reupholster it with the same type of cloth and got to thinking about leather. Then started thinking about ostrich, snake, and alligator skin.

Was just curious if anyone who has done their headliner replaced it with anything other than cloth and how did it turn out? Any problems to be aware of?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 PM
Received 315 Likes on 137 Posts

I have a BMW M6 that has a leather headliner and I too was thinking about the same thing for my XJ. I was thinking of using a high grade German vinyl for cost reasons and try to match it to my SDC Coffee? leather. A darker color but, I think it would like fine. You would also have to recover the sunroof panel, visors, and trim around the dome light/glass holder.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:08 PM

The more I wait with the headliner out of my car the more I change my mind or come up with new ideas. I kind of like the suede look so thinking of doing alcantara. Might do that or regular leather.

Was thinking of maybe a color change as well. I have the black interior with the gray headliner and pillars. Was thinking of going all black, which means I would have to do the pillars as well. Waiting for quotes to make a decision.

Does anyone have an all black interior? If so how does it look? Does it make the interior feel smaller?

Old 06-29-2017, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Whoa! Living in Miami with a black interior and trying to go blacker? You're a glutton for punishment!

Old 06-29-2017, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Whoa! Living in Miami with a black interior and trying to go blacker? You're a glutton for punishment!
Lol I hear you. I use my work van all week so it stays in my garage until the weekend, or the occasional night ride after work.
Was pondering the idea of putting some insulation above the headliner board, but figure it might get in the way of the sunroof. Even though I never open it, I don't feel like experimenting.