XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Auxiliary power supply, ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Auxiliary power supply, ideas?

I would like to set up some aux power connections for running various gizmmo's from time to time (portable Sat Nav etc) in my X300 Sport. The single cigarette lighter socket in the ashtray means having long and unsightly cable connections, whereas if a couple of sockets could be mounted more discreetly (say, under-dash area) it would all look a lot neater. Other than getting into the existing cig. socket wiring and extending it with buried wiring, I'm curious to know if anyone has successfully created a set up for aux. power, perhaps by tapping into another ignition switch controlled power source? Any advice / hints would be appreciated!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I was disappointed the power points were ign. switched rather than Batt-pwr like all the Fords I have experienced. Needed a means to charge the phone while it is locked in the car without me.

Probably doesn't solve your issue, but what I've done is perch a 400W inverter on the center console tray at the rear, top of the driveshaft hump, and wired it to the battery bus behind the RHS kick panel. Very unobtrusive, and provides 2 115V ac outlets for kid-gear on the rare occasions we take the XJ on a long trip. I use the single 5V USB for phone charging. The inverter is switchable, so no battery drain if you let the car sit unattended for long periods of time...PROVIDED you remember to turn it off on exiting.

Just-in-case, I rigged a 1.5W solar charging panel to the batt-bus behind the LHS kick panel. For regulation, I have a VDC on-board BatteryMinder in the boot attached directly to the terminals. Not absolutely SURE that regulates the charging but haven't had any issue in over a year. The solar panel has suction cups to attach to the rear windscreen....but it mostly lays flat on the rear shelf. One fine day, when I have some of the other stuff out of the way, I'll attempt to find a pass-through for the wires from cabin to boot and wire the solar panel directly to the charger-input on the battery minder.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Alholbro1, good tip. Sounds like you have a good set up. Had definitely thought of using a multi-socket mini usb board, it's only a matter of where to source the power. I have also been running a dash mounted camera which starts and stops automatically when turning ignition on/off, so I still want to try and find an ignition controlled power source. As you say, a bit different to what you needed to achieve.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member

I noticed there have been quite a few viewers of this thread, but little response. I began to consider that either no-one else has this need, or that few if any owners have a good solution. Anyway, I figured out the solution (maybe I was being lazy in the first place!!), so for anyone interested, hopefully you will find this helpful:

Firstly it occurred to me that many devices need a 5v input (each of mine does), so a converter from 12v to 5v is the first requirement. Simply tapping into a 12v power source would be wrong and likely to fry the devices. Most portable device chargers adapt the voltage.

1. I purchased a USB charger (12v in / 5v out) designed to fit flush into the cigarette lighter
2. Pulled out the ash tray innards to reveal a hole through which a now permanent USB cable feeds under the ash tray unit into the trans tunnel area
3. By then pulling out the whole ash tray unit it was easy to get access and feed the cable under the console, eventually turning 90 degrees and continuing underneath the lower dash panel above the footwell.
4. Mounted a compact 4 socket USB board on the panel below and to one side of the steering column
4. Into this I can plug up to 4 devices. I would only use 1 or 2 at any one time but can leave 4 x permanent connections neatly concealed.
5. Now the ash tray internals are converted to carry the new pug and USB connection from source and the lid closes nicely over it.

She's just like a 21st century car now i.e. no functioning ash tray, and plenty of USB connectivity!

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (11-07-2013)
Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Glad you sorted it. Thanks for posting. Now we need pics! Of course, sounds like when properley stowed/connected, your pics would largely show a stock X300 interior!

Old 11-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Correct, the "finished" photo will show a tidy and unmolested interior! I'm about to head off on a one-week road trip, but when I return will post some pics to show the various connections.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry for the delay in posting pics, I am further modifying the connections at the cig. lighter end to make the set-up even neater. I've ordered a female lighter socket which I will splice & solder into the cig. lighter wiring. The USB charger plug (important for reducing voltage for the devises) will fit into this new socket and the whole connection will sit totally concealed underneath the ash tray box. This means the ash tray & lighter plug will all remain original (no visible USB socket or connections). When the socket arrives (on the slow boat from China!) I will put the pics up.

M5Andrew (12-11-2013)
Old 12-15-2013, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

My aux lighter socket finally arrived (much patience required when ordering a $2.25 item incl. postage from China!!), so the job is now finished. Pics as follows (my car is obviously RHD):

1. The first mod. was to simply plug the USB charger into the stock lighter socket and plug the cable leading to the USB hub into it. Neat enough, but didn't look too original if the ashtray lid was flipped open. Not that anyone smokes in my car, but it just niggled me that the original appearance was disturbed!

2. Spliced the new aux lighter socket into the existing wiring beneath the ashtray, and then plugged in the charger, and the main USB cable into that

3. Original lighter wiring terminals back in place

4. Lighter reinstated as original, looks more satisfying to me

5. USB hub positioned under the steering column, connected to the main cable running from the aux lighter socket, under the console and kick panel

6. I previously had the USB hub mounted on the outer surface of the kick panel but cables were still exposed. Now it sits tucked within the kick panel area under steering column

I have only the dash camera and GPS connected at present and the wiring for those is totally concealed beneath various trim with the cables emerging at the kick panel area to meet the hub. The hub easily pulls out if I want plug in up to 2 more devices.

I'm really happy with the job now, hope this helps someone else!

Attached Thumbnails Auxiliary power supply, ideas?-image00001.jpg   Auxiliary power supply, ideas?-image00002.jpg   Auxiliary power supply, ideas?-image00003.jpg   Auxiliary power supply, ideas?-image00004.jpg   Auxiliary power supply, ideas?-image00005.jpg  

Auxiliary power supply, ideas?-image00006.jpg  
mtbadger (03-09-2014)