XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Bad differential bearings able to cause Limp mode?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Bad differential bearings able to cause Limp mode?

So I have been thinking a lot about what big problem to tackle first on my 97 XJ6 w/ 127K. Does anyone know if bad bearings in the differential can in any way be related to cause the transmission to setting off the Trans. Fault Light on the dashboard and stay in a high gear?

I had the rear wheel bearing and hub replaced recently and yet when I jack up the car there is play when I push and pull on one of the the rear wheels, leading me to suspect the differential bearings. Is this for sure a separate problem from the transmission issue i'm having? I gotta make sure what priority my problems are in and if the play in the rear hub could have anything to do with my trans problem.

When you stand behind the car you can see the rim slanting in from bottom to top a good amount and on the opposite wheel the rim is lined up perfectly straight.
Could this extra play in the differential set off the three codes pertaining to high resistance at all 3 solenoids? Or is the valve body likely the culprit?
any advice much appreciated
Thanks!

Old 12-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,975 Likes on 7,210 Posts

Diff bearings won't induce limp home mode or trans fault light.

There is a very small amount free play by design in the rear bearings....003" or something like that....just barely enough to feel.

If wheel bearings are so bad that the wheel is abnormally tipped in then you'd know about it...because it would be about ready to fail and probably making all sorts of noise.

But even the rear wheels being tipped in a bit is normal to some degree as the alignment spec calls for negative camber

Cheers
DD

Old 12-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for clearing that up for me Doug.
I must have shot bearings in the differential then because the rim leans in A LOT and when you compare to the other side that is not leaning at all it looks dramatic. The only noise i've been hearing from that side is a metal clanking type noise, metal on metal. Is that a normal noise for shot bearings?
& I have a transmission problem to boot(hopefully not requiring a rebuild to fix). Keeping my fingers crossed that a rebuilt valve body will fix my transmission problem for good.
These are not gunna be cheap problems to fix.
Highly considering buying a cheaper car to fix for a daily driver. This Jag drains my wallet a little too much to keep as my primary mode of transport