XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

bad fumes smell, not very good consumption, not good enough temp

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 02:30 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That rattling noise sounds like a dead water pump. Mine sounds just the same.
Take off your water pump belt and turn the pump by hand. It should turn nice and smoothly, and there should`nt be any play when tackling the pulley. If the pump turns roughly and pulley has a play in it, replace the water pump, before you overheat your car. You can do the same with the alternator, it also can become noisy, when bearings are worn out.

The following users liked this post:
Andreas Pavlos (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 01:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lambda

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
Sounds like you have a dead O2 sensor. The original equipment is NTK brand, they work well. Don't use a "universal" type sensor, as the Jaguar system uses a unique type of sensor. The only difference between the two sensors in the car is the length of the wire, the plugs are the same.

An NTK 25018 will work in both positions. You'll need a 17mm wrench to get them out. I'd replace both while you're there.
well i have the sensor but i cant find where the downstream is located. i can see 2 one per 3 cylinders from the engine bay top, but where is supposed to be the third one or downstream; mechanic said i should have 2 but these 2 i can see are both at the same level of the exhaust manifolds. i cant say that one of them is upper or bottom look the same.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:03 AM
Default dead;

Originally Posted by howitzer
That rattling noise sounds like a dead water pump. Mine sounds just the same.
Take off your water pump belt and turn the pump by hand. It should turn nice and smoothly, and there should`nt be any play when tackling the pulley. If the pump turns roughly and pulley has a play in it, replace the water pump, before you overheat your car. You can do the same with the alternator, it also can become noisy, when bearings are worn out.
well the car never gets warm enough, never goes at 12 oclock. can the pump be dead; how can i test it where is the pulley;

Old 03-25-2018, 03:47 AM

well, job is done! i am very happy finally...just came back from work and i was determined to finish with this now so it happened...i spend 1 hour to prepare the car and locate after al the "downstream" which was funny because i was looking for a further down the exhaust such a "downstream" without and googling but nothing.so i decided that downstream should be just the 2 from the top in matter of distance from my eye and 1 hour to take out the old and put the new and strange but putting the new was more difficult than take out the old...
maybe yes maybe not i replaced the one i decide to do so and i will go test the car. it smells for sure better!
some photos and video follow and my tools

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pz...OyogiMH8vzX8gk

thanks for the advice everybody and the help!!!

Old 03-25-2018, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Sometimes the connectors get crossed on the upstream sensor pair and the downstream pair as they have the same connector and this makes a difference in a rich fuel trim that someone noticed .

Old 03-25-2018, 04:44 AM
Default Expkain

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
Sometimes the connectors get crossed on the upstream sensor pair and the downstream pair as they have the same connector and this makes a difference in a rich fuel trim that someone noticed .
hey I didn’t understand this. What don’t mean??

Old 03-25-2018, 04:45 AM
Default Test

the truth is a can’t see any difference... still smoke and rich

Old 03-25-2018, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Andreas Pavlos

hey I didn’t understand this. What don’t mean??
The pic is on post # 12 and the wire color is the one with the dasher wire shielding . The earlier AJ6 engine cylinder numbering is opposite the AJ16 . Have you cleaned the shield grounds on the firewall as this is a very sensitive intelligence O2 signal it protects .

Ask questions

Old 03-25-2018, 05:37 AM

The pic is on post # 12 and the wire color is the one with the dasher wire shielding . The earlier AJ6 engine cylinder numbering is opposite the AJ16 . Have you cleaned the shield grounds on the firewall as this is a very sensitive intelligence O2 signal it protects .

Ask questions

i havent done anything inside the engine bay for as long i own the car...

Old 03-25-2018, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member

i havent done anything inside the engine bay for as long i own the car...
PM me with questions

Old 03-25-2018, 05:47 AM

Ask questions
i would rather say i have no idea... i dont know anything..i dont have any knowledge just googling and looking in the forum to figure out my problems, and workshop sometimes if i cant manage on my own. so any picture for the shields and firewall; where are these located and what should i check;

a comment: last week i was getting myself when i was opening the drives door in order to get out of the car while engine is on a "spark" in my hand, like getting out of wool clothes... after couple of days my sub went dead i assume is a fuse i will check tomorrow by replacing the fuse.
At the same time on new coil makes sparks if its not tight on the block. after asking the coil seller (a lucas one) if its broken he said something about electric problems that may ignite this problem. i can comment the email from him in case that helps.
so maybe its something deeper and not just a O2 sensor; just thinking..
No errors at the jaguar workshop but in the past they couldnt find any errors when i had rough idle and bad consumption. we replaced several pieces but nothing helped. in the end i fixed my self by replacing some of the coils. the scan is suppose to show coil errors and even though i had t didnt.so...go figure

now my consumption looks fine on the highway (500km at least) but inside the city at best case is 25l/100km up to 35/100 do u believe this is normal; maybe cold weather; (-5,-10) today is sunny and +4 after driving the car for 20 minutes i didnt notice the huge amount of smoke from the exhaust neither the smell...but again, its +4 ..bad timing for testing

Last edited by Andreas Pavlos; 03-25-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

well i have the sensor but i cant find where the downstream is located. i can see 2 one per 3 cylinders from the engine bay top, but where is supposed to be the third one or downstream; mechanic said i should have 2 but these 2 i can see are both at the same level of the exhaust manifolds.
I forgot you have a European spec car, they have 2 O2 sensors. North American cars have 4.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

now my consumption looks fine on the highway (500km at least) but inside the city at best case is 25l/100km up to 35/100 do u believe this is normal;
No, I would expect maybe 12-14 L/100km in the city in cold weather. On highway cruise (100 km/h) I could get 8 L/100 km.

25-35 L/100km is way too high unless you're doing a lot of idling.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:43 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

well the car never gets warm enough, never goes at 12 oclock. can the pump be dead; how can i test it where is the pulley;
If your pump would be dead, your engine would boil up and overheat.
The pulley is the circular metal thingy on a water pump on which the belt runs. Loosen the alternator tensioner (metal rod with thread with bolts on it), take the belt off and twist the pulley with your hand. This is how your water pump looks like.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:40 AM
Default Idle

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
No, I would expect maybe 12-14 L/100km in the city in cold weather. On highway cruise (100 km/h) I could get 8 L/100 km.

25-35 L/100km is way too high unless you're doing a lot of idling.
well i idle a lot since its cold i have some brakes inside the car. Is that much fuel consumotion on idle?? I thought the opposite !!

Old 04-03-2018, 09:18 AM
Default After

So after Installing the new o2 sensor I had a trip 1500km and on trip I had 25-34 miles per gallon or 8-10/100l/km which was pretty fine I guess.
But still I have bad smell from the fumes. Maybe a visit on a exhaust workshop will help?