XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Bearing rattle on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 03:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same noise and a starter change had no results and all of theses works :

new AC compressor
new belts (alternator/water pump and AC compressor)
new A/C pulley
new water pump
new starter
new upper timing chain tensioner

I will be crazy with this noise

Old 12-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I have the exact same sound sometimes when i first start the car as the video posted up by Oubadah. I thought it was the starter too, but i havent purchased one just yet until i can get a confirmation. Times are rough so i dont want to fix what isnt broken, anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-07-2011, 03:12 AM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts

OK, I reread all this thread, as I lost what was going on via all the addons along the way.

Listened to that video numerous times, and memories came flooding back, well nightmares really.

Just to clarify, mine is a 3.2ltr (big block haha), and I purchased it 2 yeras ago at 138000kms, and heard this same rattle at inspecion, and starter disengage issues screamed in my head, so I smacked the seller around and got money off the price.

Drove it the 2000kms home and investigated in the peace and quiet of my home workshop, and the starter was VERY quickly eliminated. The noise was more at the front, so timing chains etc came into the process. Much searching, here and the other one, and good old google helped also.

Top tensioner replaced and some difference noted, BUT, still not as quiet as the V12's or any of the other Jag engines in the fleet.

Timing cover off, things noted at that time:

Crankshaft pulley bolt, "not so tight", mmm.
RTV in some weird places, mmm again.
Someone has been here before.

Inside the cover the mess was of real scary proportions:
Sludge of momumental proportions.
Timing chain guide/damper/blades with the "rubber" facing material missing.
Oil pump chain damper nowhere near the chain.
Lower chain damper in a very sad state.

End result:
Much consumption of Johnny Walker, just to clear the head, and settle the nerves.
New chains (all of them).
New damper blades (all of them).
New lower tensioner piston assembly, and the housing bore honed VERY lightly, just to clean up some marks I was NOT happy with.
Obviously all washed and scrubbed of the scaly sludge stuff.

Once assembled, and fired up, SILENT.

Now at 181000kms, Full Synthetic 10W/40 oil, changed every 6 months, and still SILENT.

That video is identical to mine as far as noises go, and my opinion is the blades etc inside the timing cover are a tad sad. Also the lower tensioner is possible partly jammed.

Ask away if more clarification is required on what I did.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

i TOO HAVE THE SAME NOISE BUT ONLY SOMETIMES ON STARTUP. SO FAR IT HAS GONE AWAY BUT I THINK WHEN THE CAR IS WARM IS WHEN ITS MORE LIKELY TO DO IT. ANYONE HAVE ANY DEFINITIVE IDEAS?

Old 12-11-2011, 12:37 PM

Hi,

Like me, no on a cold start (more than 2 hour stop) and not on hot start (between stop and 20 minutes).

I'm investigating the damper pulley. I've palced on order for a rebuilt unit because Jaguar don't provide now this part. I'll be delivering under one month. I will say if it's cure the problem but with all the other jobs I've done due to this noise, I hope.
After I think only one other job to cure : timing chains, chains dampers and tensioners.

Best regards,

Originally Posted by etaent
i TOO HAVE THE SAME NOISE BUT ONLY SOMETIMES ON STARTUP. SO FAR IT HAS GONE AWAY BUT I THINK WHEN THE CAR IS WARM IS WHEN ITS MORE LIKELY TO DO IT. ANYONE HAVE ANY DEFINITIVE IDEAS?

Last edited by ocourquin; 12-11-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Hi all,

Damper Pulley then changed and given the state of the rubber not regret my noise persists, however, so I summarizes the interventions since I have this car for the noise:

change starter
Change air conditioning compressor (I had a leak)
Change belt tensioner air conditioning
Change water pump
change calorstat
Changing belts
Change water pump
Change upper chain tensioner

Further details: noise present without belts, lower noise present when cold weather, less noise from passing this 10w40 to 15w40

5 garages ....... no solutions

This noise does not appear hot (under 20 minutes after engine cut-off) or cold (more than 2 hours after starting engine cut-off) and random

I give you the link to listen again : JAguar x300 - YouTube

I do not know what to do, I'm interested in tracks, apart from the noise the car is perfect

In your point of view: switch to 20W50 (for me it's too for the x300),

Thank you for your help, it irritates me so much that I think selling the car. with the care I have for this car and the culmination of my dream I am sick.

Last edited by ocourquin; 01-24-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:51 AM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts
Question

[quote=ocourquin;459422]Hi all,

Damper Pulley then changed and given the state of the rubber not regret my noise persists, however, so I summarizes the interventions since I have this car for the noise:

I just answewred this in the fresh post you made 1 hour after this one was posted, as did one other member.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:36 PM

Hi all,

I give you some news.
I found the problem was my secondary tensioner.
I redid the whole of timing chains, tensioners and dampers. It was a good idea. In addition to my mechanic is nice I was able to attend.

Then the oil pump chain was relaxed, the tension is not simple and psiton was worn but nothing serious my sound did not come from there: tensioner changed. The primary chain, guides and tensioner was worn but in good condition: normal and refurbished. When the secondary channel noise was coming from there (see photo). Although I Avias the new model of tensioner, it was not completely committed to where the noise, heat the oil pressure maintenanit stretched so no noise, cold thick oil pressure therefore not immediate noise and hot engine oil that cools down the oil pressure and play at the piston of the damper: so the video noise.

All new and reinstalled the sound although it is new parts ..... In fact the procedure Jaguar says to put further retracted, disconnect the fuel pump and kick starter to lock (which tapped damper and clicks) except that it does not switch completely .

So if you have the same noise or redone the timing chains with the new model of tensioner, remove the camshaft cover and snap the piston manually to be sure it is sufficiently activated, I was two steps before the final and now I'm on the penultimate and no more noise .....

Attached Thumbnails Bearing rattle on cold start-imag0447.jpg   Bearing rattle on cold start-imag0446.jpg   Bearing rattle on cold start-imag0441.jpg