XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Best Gasoline for my 97' XJ6 4.0 Jag

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug

Shoot, in my neck of the woods we've had only E10 for umpteen years......certainly wayyyy before 2007. After all, my 1995 owners manual specifically mentions the use of E10 fuel, as I said above. I wanna say it became common up here in the late 90s.
Actually your area has the honour of being the first in North America to use E10 back when it was generally called 'gasahol'. An acquaintance in Seattle has been feeding it to all his vehicles, including an early '60s Corvette for over 30 years- and is still waiting for the sky to fall.

Amoco was the first retailer to sell it in any notable quantities, in 1979.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,936 Likes on 7,185 Posts

. A combined total of about 700k miles with no apparent fuel problems...

It dawned on me last night that I was wrong.

The combined total is about 840,000 miles. And that includes only the cars that are still presently in the family.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Actually your area has the honour of being the first in North America to use E10 back when it was generally called 'gasahol'. An acquaintance in Seattle has been feeding it to all his vehicles, including an early '60s Corvette for over 30 years- and is still waiting for the sky to fall.

Amoco was the first retailer to sell it in any notable quantities, in 1979.

I strongly suspect the sky will remain aloft.

It would be interesting, though, to find some research comparing this area to others. Perhaps data from manufacturer's (either of cars or fuel system components) warranty claims?

Straying a bit, I DO personally know of ONE fuel related problem pertaining to older Corvettes.

I *just yeterday* finished repairs on a '59 Corvette with fuel injection. The high pressure rotary pump inside the fuel injection unit seized up and snapped the drive cable. This is widely attributed to the lack of *lead* in the fuel. The lead served as a lubricant for the pump.

Of course, the fact that the car has only seen maybe 60 minutes of running time in the last 5-6 years, and the fuel was obviously stale and varnished, clouds the assignment of blame a bit.

But that sore subject.....unleaded fuel.... goes back to the 70s as we know! Gah! :-). The world didn't come to an end.....the overwhelming majority of people motored merrily along.

A few owners of the old "Fuelie" Corvettes might disagree.

Cheers
DD

Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Doug-

The FI drive cables have been snapping in the manner you describe long before the advent of unleaded gas or E10. Old stale gummy varnishy gas will do it every time irrespective of the presence of lead.

Standard procedure is to remove the drive cable before the first start of the season or any extended lay-up and see if the pump is free or not.

A friend of mine in Pennsylvania restores the units professionally if you ever need any parts or assistance.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Doug-

The FI drive cables have been snapping in the manner you describe long before the advent of unleaded gas or E10. Old stale gummy varnishy gas will do it every time irrespective of the presence of lead.

Standard procedure is to remove the drive cable before the first start of the season or any extended lay-up and see if the pump is free or not.

A friend of mine in Pennsylvania restores the units professionally if you ever need any parts or assistance.

Thanks for the info.....and it illustrates how easy it is to mis-assign blame.

And I may well ask to connect with your pal, as I presently have four old F.I. Corvettes in my care that I might some guidance on. I'm in the dabble-and-learn phase with them right now .

I'll send you a PM later

Cheers
DD

Old 06-14-2013, 01:58 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a top tier gas generally chevron supreme Plus 94 octane rating.
Chevron Supreme Plus

Octane rating of 94 recommended for cars where the utmost in performance and cleaning power is required.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

I won't say that ethanol *can't* cause a problem. But I also can't say that ethanol *will* cause a problem.
Yet you are quite willing to tell those who believe ethanol causes problems that they are somehow wrong to hold such a belief.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Yet you are quite willing to tell those who believe ethanol causes problems that they are somehow wrong to hold such a belief.

I think my remark is clear but I'll try it a different way.

If your belief is that ethanol WILL cause a problem then, yes, I'm willing to say you are wrong.

If your belief is that ethanol CAN cause a problem then, yes, I'm willing to say you are right.

As to the latter I simply don't believe the problem is as severe as you and others make it out to be.

When I perceive that remarks/opinions/assertions are exaggerated....from you or anyone else.... I generally respond with my own less adamant opinion. And, I'm very opinionated in those areas I'm not adamant about. Tee hee And I'll admit to being slightly in love with my own voice.

If someone offers up something as ....ahem....."proof positive" (grin) when I feel it's really "proof UNpositive", I have no qualms about saying so and explaining why.

No ill will intended, I promise.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Doug:
Logic is a science that transcends any discipline. You again have it right! I, too have used ethanol for as many miles as you, and unless you blame my XJR head gasket at 175,000 miles on ethanol, or a clogged fuel inlet sock, clogged with dirt looking stuff on a car driven daily, I have had no fuel related problems. So, one fuel pump sock in 750,000 miles is an indication of ethanol problems? I doubt it, but I can't prove it!

And plums, again, no ill will, and I am sure you have much more Jaguar experience than me, but if you could offer a little more valid background for your strong opinions on stuff, it would be helpful for us who could learn from you. The references you cited were for specific problems not related to materials or defects in our Jaguars. And 6 fuel pumps? wouldn't you admit there must be something at play besides ethanol? The experience of millions of drivers in areas with year round ethanol just do not back that kind of assertion.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 07-02-2013 at 11:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sparkenzap:
Doug (07-02-2013), Mikey (07-03-2013)