XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

The Birthday Jag!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

If only my cover had a handle....................lol.

Well, just another point of neglect on this beautiful old car in that the handle to open the center console box was not just broken, it was gone completely. That is why I could find it.

I managed to open the box after fishing through the hole where the handle used to be to reveal a bunch of sunflower seed shells, a bolt and a bonus of .25 cents. Doubt it will cover the parts needed to put the box back to proper working order.

Onward and upward as they say.
At least I know now where the valet button is

Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Bernie,
Fiddle with the adjustment a bit and you mayn't need parts. Mine has the release button, catch, and all that, seemingly all pristine. AFAIK, it has never actually "latched."
Hence my puzzlement at your post (why don't he jus' lif' up on it?) Doesn't cause a problem, gravity keeps it down. ;-)

The following users liked this post:
razorboy (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Bernie,
Fiddle with the adjustment a bit and you mayn't need parts. Mine has the release button, catch, and all that, seemingly all pristine. AFAIK, it has never actually "latched."
Hence my puzzlement at your post (why don't he jus' lif' up on it?) Doesn't cause a problem, gravity keeps it down. ;-)
So yours has all the proper bits and doesn't latch and mine is missing the primary bit and does............lol.

Yes, that one is getting pushed way down the priority list. Going to probably either do as you suggest and fiddle with the assembly or just removed the latch on the console altogether. Either way, its good to know I have found out why it wasn't opening.

Thanks !!

Bernie

Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 AM

Latest update.

Got the radiator bushings in yesterday but having a bitch of a time finding grommets for the AC condenser. Going to head over to ACE hardware today and see what I can dig up for those. Not a complicated piece but I want the fit to be snug.

I also have a new lock assembly on its way for the passenger door but the rear door on the passenger side also has been basterdized by someone who wasn't willing to fix it right. I hate that crap more than anything else. Looking forward to having the door lock situation resolved here soon.

Got to snap a pic today of a random connector on the driverside under the front that looks to have its wires torn out but doesn't lead to anything? Hoping that someone recognizes the connector and what it used to be attached to?

Cheers
bernie

Old 11-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

Bernie,

See: More Information for ÜRO PARTS CBC1448

on RockAuto Parts Catalog

under "Heating and Air Conditioning"

(Sorry if I was too generic in Post #54 on 10/29)

Last edited by aholbro1; 11-06-2013 at 11:42 AM.
razorboy (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 12:06 PM

Bernie,

See: More Information for ÜRO PARTS CBC1448

on RockAuto Parts Catalog

under "Heating and Air Conditioning"

(Sorry if I was too generic in Post #54 on 10/29)
My fault!

I have so many posts already and so many different things I am working on, I forgot that you had suggested these guys as a source for the grommets.

Going to order them right now so I can finish that work off and move on to the next lovely probelm.

Going to grab a new thermostat as well.
Can anyone tell me what I need with it? Looks like an o-ring?

Thanks a bunch!

Last edited by razorboy; 11-06-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

If you HAVE an o-ring, you'll NEED an o-ring...if you don't, you'll probably get one with the new T-stat anyway...RUN, don't walk away from it or you'll crack an ear off the t-stat housing. I never saw a gasket on any of the sites for the non-o-ring version, though I suspect they exist. Couldn't be too hard to cut one out of a flat sheet of gasket mat'l while you have the housing off...but I reckon a dab of RTV would do just as well...

razorboy (11-07-2013)
Old 12-10-2013, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 995 Likes on 676 Posts

It's been 30 days Bernie....

Is the Birthday Jag going to become the Christmas Jag?

You were making quick progress before. All finished yet?

Old 12-11-2013, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
It's been 30 days Bernie....

Is the Birthday Jag going to become the Christmas Jag?

You were making quick progress before. All finished yet?
Ha!

Thanks for checking in on me.
Had to table the work for a while due to other commitments but I am going to start working on it again over the holidays. I think Feb 7 is still the target but I did get further ahead than I thought I was going to by now.

Its down to parts to get a lot of the stuff done. Ordering some more things this week.

I will post up progress here in a week or so.

Old 12-19-2013, 01:38 PM

Hey Guys,

Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the washer nozzles? I live in Vegas so I don't need the heated variety anyway and I can't justify dropping 50.00 a piece for something so insignificant. Hoping that someone has found one that works instead. Can pick up all kinds of alternatives off ebay for 15.00 a set.

Bernie

BTW - I have the remaining doorlock assemblies being shipped this week so that will hopefully remedy all the door lock issues. A few more amenities and then I move on to the suspension which needs some love for sure.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 995 Likes on 676 Posts

Thanks for the updates Bernie.

How do washer nozzles break anyway?

Question: Is this work going on with or without your good wife's knowledge? I would bet she would eventually wonder where you are... occasionally?

Old 12-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts

If you HAVE an o-ring, you'll NEED an o-ring...if you don't, you'll probably get one with the new T-stat anyway...RUN, don't walk away from it or you'll crack an ear off the t-stat housing. I never saw a gasket on any of the sites for the non-o-ring version, though I suspect they exist. Couldn't be too hard to cut one out of a flat sheet of gasket mat'l while you have the housing off...but I reckon a dab of RTV would do just as well...
I had to cut my own, they do not in fact exist anywhere.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

When I did my thermostat I also could not locate the gasket. The factory part was a thin steel gasket with a thin rubber material on both sides. Although it had not yet started to leak the rubber had started to deteriorate. I VERY-VERY carefully wire-wheeled the old rubber off of the old steel shim. I recoated it with a thin coat of Permatex Water Pump & Thermostat Housing RTV as I reassembled it. After it was tight, I just cleaned up the squeeze-out creating a small fillet of RTV around the seam. (The RTV is light grey). It has not leaked a bit since.

Last edited by n_sweeney; 12-22-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Thanks for the updates Bernie.

How do washer nozzles break anyway?

Question: Is this work going on with or without your good wife's knowledge? I would bet she would eventually wonder where you are... occasionally?
Not quite sure?
The windshield has been replaced on this car so maybe they cracked them trying to remove the cover? Could have also been helped along by the dry climates over here and the unstoppable UV rays that cars are subjected to. I am going to try a wrecker to see if I can find an alternate set that works.

No, the car is here and she is aware.
My original plan was to do it somewhere else but when I considered how much time it would take, she might start to think I was having an affair.....lol. That and the need for all my tools made me come clean up front.

Just waiting for my recently purchased lock assemblies to arrive to finish that project up and then on to the suspension a bit. Car needs some bushings on the sway bar and upper rear shock mounts.

Bernie

Old 01-01-2014, 09:43 PM

Well,

January 1st so I had better get on it.....lol

OK, today I decided to replace the thermostat and let me tell you that taking this off was a revelation of neglect. First of all, there was no thermostat. Well there was the top but the guts had all been removed. Seems as though someone thought there was a temperature problem I guess and maybe there is? Won't know until I get the new parts on there. The neck on the thermostat cover was so corroded with built up coolant residue that I had to scrape it all of with a razorblade. Now it is clean but there is some serious pitting all around the surface where the hose lays. Not sure I want to risk using it and may just get a new one. The upper rad hose is also toast but fortunately, they can be had off ebay for 15.00. The cover will cost me 50 on top of the 22 for the thermostat itself and another 5 for a flat gasket. I can see this is going to be a trend with this car for a while that whatever I look at fixing is going to be much further gone than I had anticipated. I am also seeing corrosion around the tops of other coolant hoses too so I may end up just replacing them all but I can't invest that right now. I need to get the stuff working that's not working and then doubleback to fix up the rest. I don't want to get in too deep on this car until it has proven itself.

Now if the seller who took my money for doorlocks would be kind enough to finally send them, that would be great!

BTW - Happy New Year to all my new Jag pals

Bernie

Old 01-03-2014, 07:24 PM

New update!

Got the parts I was waiting for and now all the doorlocks are back up and functioning! Super excited to see that.

Now I need to address all the doorcards. The front ones are going to need to be replaced as they have seen damage that I can't repair. Time to hunt for some more used parts!

Also ordering in sway bar bushings and rear shock mount bushings.

Parts to finish off the thermostat installation should be here in a day or two to finish that off. The car is idling a bit high at 900rpm. Going to wait until I get the thermostat in and see what it does when the car can warm up properly. I also read the thread about the return spring on the throttle body so I will check that out as well.

B

Old 01-06-2014, 06:11 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

This is exciting! We're all rooting for you!

Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by 4litre
This is exciting! We're all rooting for you!
Thank You!

Well I got the thermostat in with a new upper rad house. The thermostat cover turned out to be good so that job is done for now. Once I get the car roadworthy, I will circle back and change out the rest of the coolant hoses. The rest look old.

I went after the rear seats too as I realized I didn't know where the other sides of the seatbelts were....lol. Turns out the rear seats had been removed before for some reason and then just tossed back in trapping the belts underneath the bottom cushion. Another big cleaning job and getting that all looked after. The rear seat-back is done but leaving the bottom cushion out until I get the headliner done. Figured that if the rear cushion and the front seats are removed, it will help make that job easier.

I also got the swaybar bushings and installed them tonight. That was an easy job and the clunking is now gone from the front end. Now I move on to dealing with the rear upper shock bushings. That will obviously be more involved. Then gobs of amenities to get sorted out. Dash stuff, center console stuff, etc.

Cheers
Bernie

Old 01-09-2014, 04:40 PM

Hey Guys,

Found a larger issue with the Jag today on the differential.

The drive axle on the driverside has some major play in it and the passenger side just a little. Guess this is where all of the rear end noise was coming from

So I am looking for advice here on this repair. Is it the axle that needs to be replaced, something between or something inside the differential that is letting go? Not familiar at all with these diffs so don't really know what component is having the issue. The shaft itself pulls in and out of the diff when I lift the hub up and down.

Anyone done this type of job before?

There is also a noticeable whine coming from the rear driving the car around our streets. I would assume the two are related. Need some fast help here as this was not expected but then again, what ever is?

Bernie

Attached Thumbnails The Birthday Jag!-img_0114_zpsfc43d950.jpg   The Birthday Jag!-img_0116_zps586c8989.jpg   The Birthday Jag!-img_0115_zpsf01f0ede.jpg  

Last edited by razorboy; 01-09-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 919 Likes on 517 Posts

Don't panic just yet. The movement is in the Diff Output bearing which is replaceable with the diff in situ. However I've not seen one that has that much play before (maybe others have?). So either the bearing has completely collapsed or the locating collar has come off.

The repair is a fairly common thing and I'm sure there are lots of posts that cover it, but attached are a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what you are dealing with.

First picture shows the bearing and the splined shaft that sits inside the diff. In the picture, the flange just below the bearing is the flange that you see in your pictures with the spline headed bolts. This is showing the bearing collar being drilled before splitting with a chisel. This is the recommended way of removing the collar.

Second picture shows a new bearing seal fitted. This is in the same flange on the other side.

You can do this job without any special tools. A press is ideal but you can manage without it.

Attached Thumbnails The Birthday Jag!-diffoutput2.jpg   The Birthday Jag!-diffoutput3.jpg  
razorboy (01-09-2014)

Quick Reply: The Birthday Jag!