XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

The Birthday Jag!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by b1mcp
Well done, it's starting to look tidy.

But please tell us that the steering wheel cover is just for protection while you're working on it, and that there isn't a matching nodding dog to go on the rear parcel shelf
LMAO.

No, the steering wheel cover is coming off and I buried the nodding dog in the backyard with the skull shifter knob....

Old 01-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ah, shucks. Just when I could see your vision of "Pimp My Ride" you dump the skull shifter.

You are keeping the fuzzy dice, aren't you? And the neon and spinner hubcaps? It is Vegas after all...

Your efforts continue to amaze and impress.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:10 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Coming along really nicely! You'll be right on time!!!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:21 PM

Got sidetracked for a couple of days when my waterpump failed on my BMW X5.

Finally got that all sorted now back to the Jag.
Passenger side is all done with door panels, locks, etc. the driver side is ready but I need to repair the door check on that side first. Then that will all be done.

From there I move on to the sunroof and headliner and then the output shafts.

I hope to fix the telescopic steering too and then I need to resolve the seats issue and we put her on the road.

B

Old 01-21-2014, 02:45 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I know that was fun to do on the X5...and there is so much going in the right direction for the Jag. Keep up the good work!!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by razorboy
Passenger side is all done with door panels, locks, etc. the driver side is ready but I need to repair the door check on that side first. Then that will all be done.

From there I move on to the sunroof and headliner and then the output shafts.

I hope to fix the telescopic steering too and then I need to resolve the seats issue and we put her on the road.

B
Alright Bernie! Light at the end of the tunnel, I like it!

Look for any rust hiding in the sunroof panel, very common. Also make sure the drains are clear.

The output shafts are a straightforward job, just be sure to drill holes or cut into the collar to relieve tension before trying to press it off. That mongrel is on there tight!! I assume you will be replacing the seals and the bearings? When reassembling, I found that sticking the output shafts in the freezer for and hour or so and the bearing and collar in a 150F oven for a bit helped make pressing a lot easier.

The following 3 users liked this post by AllanG:
4litre (01-21-2014), BigBossRadio (04-15-2014), razorboy (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by AllanG
Alright Bernie! Light at the end of the tunnel, I like it!

Look for any rust hiding in the sunroof panel, very common. Also make sure the drains are clear.

The output shafts are a straightforward job, just be sure to drill holes or cut into the collar to relieve tension before trying to press it off. That mongrel is on there tight!! I assume you will be replacing the seals and the bearings? When reassembling, I found that sticking the output shafts in the freezer for and hour or so and the bearing and collar in a 150F oven for a bit helped make pressing a lot easier.

Thank you sir!

OK, got the door panels all finished today and the interior is really starting to shape up! All locks, windows, ashtrays, etc. Everything works! Well except I have no sound from the driverside of the car stereo. I checked the speakers before I reassembled and they are good. Is there a separate amplifier for the stereo or is everything contained in the head unit?

RE: Sunroof.
Tomorrow I pull the sunroof assembly out and replace it with the new one. I need some help though as I need to swap over the roof panels. Whats the trick to pushing back the interior panels so I can access the torx bolts that hold on the metal exterior panel?

Headliner is all cleaned up and ready to apply new material. Just need to source that out here locally. Should have the roof done by the end of the week and then pull the output shafts on the diff.

Cheers
Bernie

The following 2 users liked this post by razorboy:
BigBossRadio (04-15-2014), JimC64 (02-14-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 09:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hang in there!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:56 PM

Hey Guys,

Well I missed my deadline of the 7th to get the Jag finished as my job makes me travel quite a bit. Wife is ok with it and she knows I will get it ready here soon.

I had installed a new sunroof as the original one was completely trashed but I am having an issue.

The roof won't stop on its way closed. It continues on and pushes up into vent mode. I have two modules and did do the setup procedure placing 8mm on the channel guide and then setting the 2 white dots on the controller. It doesn't do anything. The roof either slides all the way open and when I hold the button to close it, it rifles right on past the closed and goes directly to vent.

I have two modules since the replacement roof I bought came with its own module and they are both doing the same thing. No autostop at all?

Am I missing something here?

So I also received the parts to rebuild the one output shaft that's messed up and that gets done this week too. Headliner needs to be recovered this week and I have all new filters for the car. Air, oil, fuel, tranny, the whole kit.

Heading out to finally pick up a new battery for the ole girl now. The battery in the car was way too small for the task it has to accomplish. What a maroon would put such a small battery in there :P

Anyway, I am still kicking here but getting ever so close every day.

Bernie

Old 02-12-2014, 11:53 PM

Update,

Well that was silly of me?
I wasn't aware exactly how that sunroof controller worked and had figured it was electronically based. Turns out it is mechanically based and is driven off the sunroof cable. So after I mounted it back in position, my sunroof stops and starts the way it should.

A note to others working on their sunroofs, that little black box for the sunroof needs to be properly placed for the auto stops to work. Cool little design actually.

Bernie

BigBossRadio (04-15-2014), Stuart Beattie (05-01-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 08:28 PM
Default Output Shaft Rebuilt

Another step forward today as I got the driver side output shaft rebuilt and reinstalled. The bearings literally fell out in my hand when I pulled the shaft out so it was really shot.

I don't own a press so I took the shaft to my local shop where they removed the old parts and pressed on the new parts. Pretty easy job to do actually. The car now drives around without any clunks or rattles from the front or rear.

Next up is recovering and reinstalling the headliner. Got to purchase a few more parts but I see light at the end of the tunnel now. Car is driving smoothly.

Bernie

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Go on Bernie....nearly there buddy!!

Don't forget to add a dozen or so pics to show her off here when all is done!!

No pics = it didn't happen

Old 02-14-2014, 09:20 PM

Thanks Jim,

I am horrible at documenting things with photos. Once I get my head down on something, I tend to burn straight through to the end. Yes, I will update some pics here soon. The interior is looking sparky.

Bernie

JimC64 (02-15-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 07:20 PM

To think I am still going at it. Slowly but surely getting there.
I replaced the reach motor cable on the steering column and also went through the dash to replace lights, check things, etc. The dash is all done and so is the cable.

I am having a shop here in Vegas put the headliner material on for me. The shop that sold me the fabric said to forget it if you are using spray adhesive in the heat here. It will last for a few months at best and start to fall off again. Its just too hot.

So I found a local shop that does it and will put it on with sprayed on contact cement which is what they use here with a gun and air compressor. The fabric cost me only 35.00 for nine feet and the installation of the headliner and sunroof insert will cost me 85.00. I think that's a great deal to know its done right. I get the honors of putting it back in though

After that, I am down to just the seats and some small misc. stuff that I can do with the car on the road. Been a cool project and the car really is looking good. Can't wait to get the rest finished like wheels redone and tinting on the glass. Should make her look awesome.

Whew!

B

BigBossRadio (04-15-2014), Stuart Beattie (04-14-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Received 12,943 Likes on 6,467 Posts

[QUOTE=razorboy;953306So I found a local shop that does it and will put it on with sprayed on contact cement which is what they use here with a gun and air compressor. The fabric cost me only 35.00 for nine feet and the installation of the headliner and sunroof insert will cost me 85.00. I think that's a great deal to know its done right. I get the honors of putting it back in though

B[/QUOTE]

Congratulations on your progress, B, and on finding a shop that can do your headliner for such a fair price - sounds like they know what they're doing. Hope you can post some photos when you're done! :-)

Cheers,

Don

Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Wow Bernie,

You've had your work cut out here, but its an amazing somewhat tortuous road to trudge, but I'll leave the imagination to your long awaited epilogue!

Fantastic post and who knows, the XJ6 is a dream car for me and you've shown tremendous guile, humour and hard work in your ethic!

Well done, this is a superb reference tool and so much more!!

SUPERB!!! INGENIUS, SUPERB!!! Thank you so far and don't give up, we're all WITH YOU!

Regards, Stu

razorboy (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:40 PM

Hi to those that are still following!

Well today marked the first day of driving the car around. It was pretty good but I have now discovered more issues that need to be resolved.

The harmonic balancer needs to be rebuilt which I posted about in another thread. It is wobbling around so I assume the rubber has degraded badly.

I have also discovered that the alternator is not putting out. The voltage is erratic, never going higher than 13.5V but dropping all the way off at times. I guess a rebuilt one is in the future as well.

Finally, the output shaft that I had rebuilt and put back in is leaking gear oil. Not sure where or why yet as I haven't pulled the wheel off to get in there for a look.

Outside of those items for now, we have a runner. It drives smooth and straight with a minimum of annoyances. The ABS light came on for a while but once the alternator jumped up to full charge, it seemed to stop. The doorlocks are being a PITA on exit as they self lock on putting the car into gear but don't want to unlock when parked. Even when pulling the inside drivers door handle. Something is up there.

So I had to get it on the road to discover all the remaining annoying things but there really aren't many. AC blows cold and most everything is functioning. Newly covered headliner is back in.

I used the old seats for now until I am confident that the car is mechanically sound. Once all the other bits are done, I will circle back to recover those.

Thanks for following.
Hopefully, will post some pics tomorrow. Its dark out now.

GGG (05-01-2014), Stuart Beattie (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 02:59 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by razorboy
........ today marked the first day of driving the car around ............
Bernie,
It's taken some getting there. That deserves a bigger headline!
Graham

Last edited by GGG; 05-01-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 995 Likes on 676 Posts
Default "We have a runner"

Great news Bernie! Congrats on bringing her back. You're a dedicated man. The wife must love that about you!

Not so quick to convict the alternator! See my post in your thread about the balancer. The de-lam causes the belt to run slower than necessary for the alternator to put out. So the voltage will fluctuate at idle, but will come up to normal once at speed. Cause & effect. Your alternator is probably fine.

To be certain in my case, the VDP borrowed the alternator from the six. I had the exact same effect in the VDP as before the swap.

Last edited by SleekJag12; 05-01-2014 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:21 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

well done Bernie!!!

Quick Reply: The Birthday Jag!