XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

The Birthday Jag!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:39 AM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by notthemaniusedtobe
Hey Bernie, greetings from just down the 15 in San Diego!

Congratulations on all your successes with your Jag, and on your totally compelling thread, you're an inspiration!

Anyway, to your question: From all the XJ models I've seen, I can assure you that the ring part you seek will NOT work from any MY after 1997, when it changed to XJ8 and the interior trims all became "softened" with more rounded shapes. What I've found though is that it appears the XJ40 has exactly the same center console and related parts and pieces around the j-gate for the shifter. This is confirmed by pics in the following links:

Sport Mode Switch-Automatic Gearbox - Parts For XJ6 (2.9, 3.2, 3.6, 4.0) from (V)500001 to (V)667828 | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

Performance Mode Switch - Parts For XJ Series from (V)720125 to (V)812255 (X300) | Jaguar Heritage Parts UK

So hopefully that should allow you to broaden your search.

Just FYI, I'm not sure if it's much use to you, but there's a junkyard advertising here on craigslist claiming to have 60+ Jags, they're just north of LA in the Sun Valley/Burbank kind of area, you could always give 'em a buzz.

1996 JAGUAR XJ6 SEDAN *PARTING OUT* EXCEPTIONALLY CLEAN!!

Good luck mate!
Thanks John,

This is helpful.
I will check around and see if I can get a decent price on one to have it shipped to me.

Cheers
Bernie

Old 01-28-2015, 08:16 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Bernie,

While searching for parts for my own console, I think I may have found what you're after. Check this out: https://jaguarpartsinternational.com...Finish%20panel

Search the page for part number GNA7826ACLEG.

Cheers,
John

Old 08-14-2015, 03:11 PM

Just a quick post to update the forum on the birthday Jag.

It continues to evolve having recently had a window tint done.

I have some issues to address still but things are going well.

1) Will be replacing all front end bushings and balljoints
2) Will be replacing AC compressor
3) Differential needs to be rebuilt or replaced
4) New shocks all around

Everything else seems to be done.

I would like to replace the carpets in the car as they have stains that will never come out. Does someone make a carpet kit for the 96? I haven't been able to find one.

Name:  IMG_1596_zpshzaddfgz.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  164.4 KB

Old 11-18-2015, 05:17 PM

Hey Everyone,

Thought I would update this thread to show you had the Jag has progressed.

Some of you helped me through a couple of tight spots with the car recently as I was having issues with my temp gauge and also some rough idling. Turns out everything traced back to the ground strap again! I swear that so many issues are attributed to that damn strap. If you are having funky temp issues like the gauge saying you are overheated when you are not, the 32 second dip in idle and general rough idle issues, please check that strap from the engine to the chassis.

The car is currently at my shop getting all the bushings and ball joints replaced up front. I was going to do it myself but I have been super busy at work and I needed to get it done. The car clunks when you hit the brakes hard and its my wifes car - I need it to be 100%

So anyway, I just wanted to give you all an update of what is actually left to do on the car so here it is:

1) Rear differential is still whining so I suspect that here soon I will have to rebuild or replace it.
2) All bushing and balljoints up front need replacing (currently being done)
3) Cruise control vacuum actuator is dried out and torn. Need to replace
4) Starter motor has developed an issue so needs rebuilding.
5) have some pulsing in the front brakes so rotors need turning or replacing. Will clean up calipers and replace pads at the same time.

And actually thats it!
After all this time and work, the car is approaching completion.
I know it will still be a source of routine repairs but it has been one helluva transformation. Here is a pic of how it looks now and I also need to take some new pics of the interior. Managed to score an exceptionally nice set of seats from a VDP front and rear for only 400.00

What do you guys think?

Name:  IMG_1698_zpspdpw41io.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  165.0 KB

The following users liked this post:
overtheatlantic (11-19-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 03:06 PM

The build continues!

Ok, this past weekend marked the biggest repair bill I have put into the XJ. I bought the complete front end rebuild kit from a vendor online. Came with upper and lower control arm bushings, upper and lower balljoints, tierod ends and new drop links. My car was in serious need of a front end rebuild. Clunking when hitting the brakes and darting left or right when hitting potholes.

I thought seriously about doing all of the work myself but after some deliberation, decided to just have my local boys do it for me. Good thing too because they jokingly cursed me when I picked up the car. I could have done it myself I know but I am a pretty busy guy and just could not commit the time it would take.

So now all the parts are replaced and the car is transformed! It now feels like a 50,000 dollar car like it is supposed to and I am so thrilled with it. No running issues, no suspension issues, life is good.

So the total for this was:
1) 240.00 for all the parts
2) 450.00 for installation of all parts
3) 150.00 for a 4-wheel alignment

Grand total of about 840.00 all in.
This is by far the largest repair bill I have put into this car but it was the right thing to do. The wife loves it even more now and she is thrilled with the way it handles.

The car also shuddered under braking. A lot of it is gone now but some still remains. It will be back in my hands next to go through the rotors looking for runout and doing all pads plus changing the fluid. Thorough cleaning of everything and that should take care of any issues.

I love seeing this car coming back to life! Its been such a great journey getting it there. Sometimes frustrating but that all goes out the window when you drive it. Glorious auto.

Big thanks to the team here for helping me through all the major issues. Not I am going to need to start nitpicking to look for other thngs to work on...lol

Old 11-23-2015, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

Mine shuddered under braking at 90k, new rotors solved that. Don't know if you've replaced your yet. Not pricy and about 15 minuets a side.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by JTsmks
Mine shuddered under braking at 90k, new rotors solved that. Don't know if you've replaced your yet. Not pricy and about 15 minuets a side.
Yea, I am going to check the run out first and then see if they can be turned. If not, I will just replace them.

Cheers
Bernie

Old 11-24-2015, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

I just read through all of your 9 pages, an incredible project, and great that you are still around.
Wish you all the luck with the car for the years to come!
And by the way, nice rims!

Old 11-24-2015, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
I just read through all of your 9 pages, an incredible project, and great that you are still around.
Wish you all the luck with the car for the years to come!
And by the way, nice rims!
Thank you Eric, much appreciated.
I remember the car that I first brought home on the tow truck. I was thinking then that there is a chance of bringing it back to life but it would never be what it once was.

All the little repairs do add up over time. Fixing little things here and there and replacing the worn and broken parts makes a difference. The coolest thing for me was the comment from the guy who did the alignment the other day. He went out to get the info off the car when I was dropping it off and came back in stating "that's one seriously nice Jag"! That really drove home for me how far I had come with this car.

I am sure the car will have other issues as time goes on but they will be new issues and as long as I stay on top of them, I am sure we will drive this car for some time.

Old 12-27-2015, 10:03 PM

Another quick update on the Birthday Jag!

Today I replaced the AC idler pulley with great info from the forum. It was making a noise and was worn. The original idler for this car has the bearing bonded into the plastic pulley which meant you cannot just replace the bearing. You are forced to replace the entire pulley and that can be north of 100.00 just for an idler.

Thanks to the help of the forum, I was directed to a Gates idler that worked perfectly. It is PN 38006 and goes right on there. The best part was that it was 20.00 and is all metal!

So here are a couple of new things I need to work on coming up.

1) Going to finally tackle the whining noise coming from the rear of the car. Not going to speculate but it might need the diff rebuilt. Going to hoist the car and run it to see if I can hear exactly where the noise is coming from. My shop will do it for me without charging me I am sure.

2) Noticed I am leaking a small amount of power steering fluid. I have to spray the area down to isolate where it is coming from. Its a very small drip.

3) On the hunt for a nice replacement steering wheel. Mine is worn and I would love to find the one with the wooden sections.

4) Need to get the displays fixed on the HVAC and the clock. Neither of them are visible anymore.

5) Also ordering new camcover gaskets. Found some oil in one of the spark plug holes last time I was in there and also started to notice some weeping around the cover. Maybe a good time to send the cover off to my friend and have it powdercoated. Maybe the wheels too

Old 01-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just curious. Is this car now in running condition?

Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by aacpa15215
Just curious. Is this car now in running condition?
Yes, car has been running perfectly for some time now happy to say

Old 03-26-2016, 11:07 AM

Well,

We have finally put 7000 miles on the XJ since putting it back on the road! Many little things fixed along the way but I am very happy to report that the car is dead reliable and my wife just left in it to drive from Vegas to Southern California and I have all the faith in the world with the car.

This is a very pleasant surprise. I plan to do an oil change on the car when she gets back and checked her fluid levels this morning. After 7000 miles of driving (all in town) and a motor with 180k on it, the car burned 3/4 of a quart of oil after all this time. Very satisfied!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-29-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

What a transformation! Great work!!!

Old 08-25-2017, 08:49 PM

Well fellas, the saga of the Birthday Jag has ended for me but has just begun for someone else! I sold the car to an outstanding young gentleman today and I am thrilled with his enthusiasm and respect for all of the work that was performed on this car.

As always, she didn't miss a beat and I had a difficult time even finding 1 thing wrong with the car to talk to him about but hey, that's the way it goes sometimes lol. I have invited him to join the forum and learn about these fabulous automobiles as I have - through the combined wisdom and experience of this forum.

My attention now turns to the XK8 and completing its journey to a restoration of JaguarForums.com perfection!

Thank you to everyone that assisted me in bringing this natural beauty back to life. Now another person gets to enjoy the fruits of my labor and I hope he has many years of learning and loving the car as I did.

The following 2 users liked this post by razorboy:
Don B (08-26-2017), littlelic69 (08-26-2017)