XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

brake/gearshift solenoid noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default brake/gearshift solenoid noisy?

Whatever contraption that resides in the gearshift area that switches on/off with the application of my brake seems to have suddenly made itself known. Did I just not ever notice it before and doomed to allow it to drive me nuts till the end of days or do these things get noisy before failing?

I've also noticed in the past months that I can't just push the brake down and shift out of park every time....some finessing is sometimes required with the pedal to get out of park.

Separate issues or no?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:42 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Bennett
Whatever contraption that resides in the gearshift area that switches on/off with the application of my brake seems to have suddenly made itself known. Did I just not ever notice it before and doomed to allow it to drive me nuts till the end of days or do these things get noisy before failing?

I've also noticed in the past months that I can't just push the brake down and shift out of park every time....some finessing is sometimes required with the pedal to get out of park.

Separate issues or no?

Thanks in advance for any info!
I'm sure the persnickety operation is probably a failing brake pedal switch.

The loud noise when it does release can be caused when a small rubber bumper that fits on a stop peg disintegrates. Then the release lever slaps the peg and makes noise. That little stop bumper is a bitch to find in the parts catalogue, but you can fashion one from a small vacuum hose. It's under the cover on the LH side of the shifter.

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:30 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm sure the persnickety operation is probably a failing brake pedal switch.

The loud noise when it does release can be caused when a small rubber bumper that fits on a stop peg disintegrates. Then the release lever slaps the peg and makes noise. That little stop bumper is a bitch to find in the parts catalogue, but you can fashion one from a small vacuum hose. It's under the cover on the LH side of the shifter.

Good luck!
What does the brake pedal switch look like? It doesn't have anything to do with lighting in this case does it? I've not noticed anything at least. Happen to have an IPB?

Thanks!!!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

It's above your brake pedal, sort of a greenish color. It's a two part switch that serves as inputs for several things, lights, ECM, trans, shifter and cruise inhibit/cancel. You might not notice anything from the drivers seat, except the shifter interlock. That's a classic symptom.

Cheers,

Old 07-29-2013, 03:10 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Old 07-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

There are two switches that are not connected with each other but they are part of the same system.

Switches :

- a switch for the brake pedal
- a switch attached to the J-gate

Situation:

Your car is parked, the gear is in park position. The switch attached to the J-gate is active now, because the metal from the shifter is leaning to the switch. Also notice that the P from Park is glowing red. This also gives an indication that the switch is pressed.

Now when you press the brake, the switch at the brake is pressed and making contact;

The switch at the J-gate is saying all is okay, gear is in park so when you press the brake, the brake switch closes a cycle and the module activates the solenoid, unlocking it so you can move your shifter to a different position, eg reverse / drive whatever.

Now when you are driving, the gear is set in drive for example.
The switch under the J-gate is not pressed, so when you now press your brake there should be no clicking noise from the solenoid, because if there is you would be able to switch the gear in Reverse or in Park while driving.

To examine your problem:

Check the light at the J-gate, P should glow red and when you set it in another gear also that light should come up, it should not make weird stressed noises and when everything looks fine its probably the brake pedal switch.

You now know what it does and how it works, so you can tell us

- Cheers!