XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Car rocks when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Car rocks when accelerating

I was driving the other day and I floored it to pass up a big rig but when I did it my car was rocking left to right, like a boat would in water. I slowed down and tried it again and got the same results. Sometimes my car swerves a tiny bit when I hit a bump. Is this suspension issues? My Rotors are absolutely shot too but I don't believe that would be the problem, also my motor mounts are pretty much gone too.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by SRL1990
I was driving the other day and I floored it to pass up a big rig but when I did it my car was rocking left to right, like a boat would in water. I slowed down and tried it again and got the same results. Sometimes my car swerves a tiny bit when I hit a bump. Is this suspension issues? My Rotors are absolutely shot too but I don't believe that would be the problem, also my motor mounts are pretty much gone too.
Try fixing what you already know is shot.

Or take it off the road before someone gets killed.

Last edited by plums; 05-03-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:50 AM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts

I agree, and agree AGAIN.

Fair Dinkum, you know it aint right, and it is only a mechanical machine, regardless of the badge on the front, and you still drive it at speed on the highway????????????????????.

I hear this a lot down here, and I get really MAD, so PLEASE fix the damn thing, thenif it still has issues lets address them systematically.

If you get in an accident and try and claim, the company will deem your car "unroadworthy" and NO PAY.

I lost a family member in exactly that situation, so sorry I have NO sympathy in this area.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I'll jump onthis bandwagon. Mechanical failures, without warning, are seldom the cause of car crashes. BUT YOU'VE HAD YOUR WARNING(S)!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:06 AM

I'm getting new rotors asap but does any of the problems I stated will make my car shake? I don't floor it as often so It was new to me 3 days ago.

Sorry to hear about your family member also Francis.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - Search Results

according to the above, the priorities seem to be:

headliner
backseat
speakers
audio system
chrome wheel arches
whiter light bulbs
powerfold mirrors

Old 05-04-2011, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I would say a good look at all of the suspension components is in order- Something is most likely loose in the rear end OR something is extremely loose up front. Or there is a nut loose behind the wheel.

Last edited by sparkenzap; 05-04-2011 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:36 AM

The rear suspension assembly is held in place by rubber bushes, and there are MANY, and they go off with age, oil contamination, etc, and then "steer from the rear" is a common feeling, usually under acceleration, and the more savage that acceleration the worse the sensation, and it is scary if you dont how it reacts.

The fact the engine mounts are "shot" is another fiasco, coz when you accelerate the engine "lifts" on the LH side, and if that mount is broken/soft, the engine will shake around big time. The RH mount will NOT hold it in place, trust me.

The "prop shaft" has joints that could be buggered. Some have a Jurid coupling at the rear that fails, again with age and abuse.

The diff unit itself is mounted on an item called a "pendulem" that is rubber bushed, and wear here can give what you got.

I would recomend a "trusted Jaguar workshop" and pay whatever for a suspension/driveline inspection, then address them ALL for your safety and ours if we are on the same road as that car, and I am not joking.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default pitching to and fro

I have to agree with Grant. One quick question tho, if you have chidren you don't haul them around in that sick puppy do you? Trust me the moment you get it fixed it will lbe a totally different beast. Trust me I hardly get to drive mine because my wife gets out the door like a shot and then I'm stuck with a '99 Tarus or the beyond gas guzzling '86 Corvette. Love the Vette, just don't like feeding it!

By the way, it looks like (according to your profile) you're somewhat of a "Newbie" so................................................ ....

Welcome to the "Forum"!!!!!!!!

Sometimes it seems like the guys get a little abrasive but they really do have your best intrests in mind.

Poor Boy

Old 05-05-2011, 06:02 AM

DAMN, I forgot that bit, SORRY, and WELCOME to the REAL WORLD of motoring.

My bark is worse than my bite, too many teeth missing, but I have NO time for shoddy cars ON THE ROAD, catch a bus, take a taxi (cab), but PLEASE get that car right, and ENJOY it.

I am 43 years with Jaguar, and they have been my DAILY driver at ALL times, old fart now, and NO "some other brand" in the driveway as a spare. I have always maintained them myself, still do, and waaaay back at 18 with a MK7m as my first car, I needed brain surgery to understand why I got it, but that apart, I have NEVER looked back.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 PM
Default LoL

Thanks for the Welcome! Yes, I am new to the motor world. This Jag is my first car and was handed down from my grandpa. I am 20 years old and pretty much don't know a thing besides oil change,brake pads, air filter, other basic stuff so sorry for my lack of knowledge. I checked my Rotors, the front left has a crack and the rest are deep shaved down, I still have good amount of brake pad left though. I don't haul kids around either and I have never got a ticket yet (Knock on wood), maybe that can make you guys sleep better at night lol. Also, thank you plumsauce for pointing out things that I wanted to be fixed. Is it a wrong to fix a saggy headliner? or fix blown out stock speakers? or just updating my car overall? These problems just started recently happened so maybe that's why they are not high priorities on my searches.

Thank you Francis for the useful reply.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member

srl1990:
Ok, your youth will get you a pass on the safety issues, but only once! Seriously, the cracked brake rotor is a bigg hairy *** deal. Imagine going down the road at speed and literally have no brakes at all, or have one side breaking, which will grab the wheel from your hand and steer to the side. No foolin!. The cracked rotor can break and jam the wheel, with a silmliar result. And all of that is without further warning. So, please, get the brakes fixed FIRST. It's good for you and good for everyone else. A brake job on a Jag is a pretty good first diy mechanical adventure. Read about changing disk brakes on the internat, then chck back here for advice. Tools needed include jack stands (NEVER, ever WORK OFF THE CAR JACK). Then you will need a set of good open end box wrenches from 13 to 18 or 19 mm. A 1/2 drive socket set is a good additon. The tools plus the parts will about equal the price of a brake job, but then you own the tools for the next issue. The headliner can be a cheap diy fix, but you have to have a gentle mechanical touch to get the interior trim pieces off and back on. The rear end bushings are probaly a little advanced for a new mechanic, but you can probably figure out what is wrong with the car up on the jack stands and "moving" the rear suspension parts with a crow bar. I would find some experienced help for that one.
From my experience a long time ago, but still valid, a young fellow who shows desire and interest can generally find some more experienced help for his first diys. But don;t just sit there as an observer, be sure to join in!
Good luck, and get those safety items handled!!!!!!