XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Coil replacement '96 XJ6 VP 4.0L

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil replacement '96 XJ6 VP 4.0L

Hi folks,
I'm having a check engine light telling me that the #2 coil needs replacing.
The previous owner (family member) had been having this error and replaced the coil with the same error showing after random amount of time tho no change in mileage or running and thinks it may be a sensor error. He reports that changing the coil is about a 10 min job and that I can get one for less than $100, however when I checked with mechanic they want about $450 for the job. Am I missing something crucial? It seems a fairly simple procedure. I've been all over the forums looking for something that might warrant the time in labor but haven't found anything.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Also considering purchasing obdcom diagnostic system or prefferably a bluetooth model that works with ipad or android system to keep an eye on the cars systems, any ideas?

Thanks for any information and great forum
Stu

Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my first Jaguar few months ago. Beautiful car at ridiculous good price. Idled high with multiple random misfire codes and lean/rich. Im a mechanic by trade, but had no idea about Jaguars. Took 3 shops to figure it out. There are the ones that go by "flowcharts", and there are ones that actually test parts. The first shop said, well id start with plugs and coil packs at 470 a piece times 6. Trust me thats all parts cost because it takes 10 minutes to change all 6. He also recommended valve job, TPS sensor, and other stuff totallin about 6500 for a car i paid 2100 for. I took the plunge and bought all parts myself and replaced them myself. Got coils for 300 total, fuel pressure regulator, cts, fuel pump, egr, maf allfor 1500 total. Still threw codes like crazy. The 02 sensor plugs were swapped from previous owner. DO NOT let them spend your money. I could have fixed my car for free would I have known what I know now. Runs like new.

The following users liked this post:
Stu RRT (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 05:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Changing the coils is a dead easy job, anyone can do it themselves. I was in the same boat as yourself and I got the direction I needed from these chaps.

To gain access to the coils you need to remove the cover that says "jaguar 4.0," this is held on with 3 screws (if you don't have a ton of tools you can use an Allan key to loosen/remove the screws).

Once removed you'll see all 6 coils right there, all lined up perfectly. The coil closest to the fan/front of the car is #1 and the once closest to the windscreen is #6.

Located #2 and removed it but unbolting the two bolts (I believe those bolts are 8mm, but I'm drawing a blank), carefully remove the bolts and undo the wiring (simple clip, undo it), then gingerly pull the coil straight up and off the spark plug. Be careful not to break the flimsy paper seal, those are a pain but not the end of the world either.
That's it.
Though I suggest while you're there you might as well replace the plugs (champion only, no NGK)

Also you can buy the coils from rockauto.com for $65 each
Hope that helps

Stu RRT (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,895 Likes on 7,163 Posts

Be wary of inexpensive coils. Over a period of time I bought 6 Beck Arnley coils from Rock Auto and all but one failed within less than a year. Most of those were replaced under warranty but now those replacements have failed as well....now out of warranty....and I'm running good used Lucas coils in their place.

How much longer a "good used Lucas coil" remains "good" is a mystery :-)

One of the Beck Arnley warranty replacements seems to be holding up OK (fingers crossed) and, interestingly, has a slightly difference appearance then the others....suggesting, perhaps, some sort of production change? The potting material at the top of the coil is black rather than translucent white.

<shrug>

This change also prevents observing the internal arcing that makes it easy to identify a bad coil

<shrug>

Anyhow, my experiences with inexpensive coils are not unique. I hope others have better luck than I did but, again, don't be surprised if problems come up.

Cheers
DD

Stu RRT (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard that from folk too Doug. My new coils are aftermarket for $50 apiece. So far, so good, but at least if they go out after warranty i have the set of Lucas' in the cabinet that weren't bad in the first place. Hell now i have a spare fuel pump, TPS, EGR, MAF sensor that weren't bad in the first place as well. I should be set.