XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Coolant Leak - Water Rail Gasket? Video!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 09:15 PM
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Coolant Leak - Water Rail Gasket? Video!

Hello everybody!!

I suffered a little setback yesterday.

I haven't had any problems for almost 1.5 years now , but now I'm back to normal

She is suffering from a rather severe coolant leak now. I can't completely pinpoint it right now, but I hope that anybody can help me out.

I've done some reading already, and I'm afraid it is coming from one of the the water rail gaskets.

Here's a link to a video that I uploaded on YouTube.

There is obviously a lot of corrosion around that water-rail bolt. However, based on the amount of coolant that is leaking out, I find it a little weird that I can't see any water right around this spot. So maybe the corrosion/built-up is just old, and not the the current leak?

Towards the end of the video, it does show rather clearly the path of the coolant down from that area and then drips down from the oil-pan.

Anyway, I hope anybody can give me his or her opinion of this!

Thank you very much in advance for your time and help!

Sincerely, Ingo

Old 10-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

The drip pattern sure looks a lot like when my son's 96 sprung a water-rail-gasket-leak. Glad I'm not you...that was a heinous repair!!!

Old 10-03-2016, 12:36 PM

Good morning!

Yeah, I was afraid so! I read all your old posts about that

Before I order the parts, I just wanted to be sure that this is the most likely cause.

I haven't done a lot of work in this area of the engine yet - so I don't know if there is anything else right above that water rail that could be leaking?

I replaced all hoses 2 years ago and they all look great still. The short hose that goes from the waterpump to the rail is also new and dry.

And may I also ask how you approached the repair? Did you end up removing the manifold for better access? Or did you do it from underneath?

Like I said, I haven't done much on that side of the engine. The only thing I did was revome the throttle body for some cleaning. So I have no experience in removing the manifold. Is that a difficult task? Do other parts need to come off also? If it's not a giant work-load, I would probably rather go this route, and not struggle with the tight space from underneath. So I would be very thankful for your opinion on this!

Once I get started I will take a series of pictures again and leave a description for future generations

Thank you very much again for your time and help! Ingo

Old 10-04-2016, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 996 Likes on 676 Posts

Manifold off, my man. Not too difficult. Just more things to take off and put back on. But it makes the actual repair of the water rail gaskets a real breeze! I had to replace the starter on this car and that was made easy too.

I didn't remove the fuel injection harness. I disconnected everything else, then just lifted the manifold and put it on top of the engine (although it is a bit heavy). You'll need a new manifold gasket. Be sure to block the intake holes while you work.

Take a look at the clearance of the manifold to windshield wiper unit. I remember taking that off too, but only for starter bolt access. I think!

Attached Thumbnails Coolant Leak - Water Rail Gasket? Video!-20140206_175329.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
dagny747 (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member

Like Sleekjag said, take the manifold off and roll it over on top of the cam cover. IIRC, there is a major wiring loom attached that makes it way advantageous to just roll it over on top of the engine vs. Remove and set aside on the bench. I looked at it long and hard and concluded it would not be possible without removing the manifold. Also, I never "found" the leak for certain before I tore into it......I wasn't even successful getting a good look at all the stuff you managed to video. So another reason for me to remove the manifold - to see what else might be responsible. (there's nothing)
I took a bunch of pictures, let me see if I can find a link.
I don't recall messing with the wiper motor.
http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/ho...0Rail%20Gasket

Last edited by aholbro1; 10-04-2016 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:19 PM

Hi guys!!

Thank you very much for your replies! This all makes me confident and I'm looking forward to getting at it on the weekend.

Thank you very much also for the photo-gallery that you linked.

I will keep you updated about the results next week.

If anybody else has any ideas / warnings or whatever for this procedure, please let me know

Thank you very much again for all your help and effort!!!

Ingo

Old 10-06-2016, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

Good luck, and let us know how you get on. My only tip is to make pictures/notes to get the vacuum lines back where they go - I had two other cars to look at and still got stumped by one line.....there's a post here somewhere discussing it....

Old 10-10-2016, 03:18 PM

Hey everybody!
I'm in the middle of the surgery. Facing a small problem: the old gaskets were basically gone. So I couldn't see which orientation the were installed.

The new gaskets are rubberized on one side, the other side is plain.

Any quick reply would be highly appreciated.

Also, does the orientation of the new intake manifold gasket matter? The appear the same. One side has writings on it.

Thank you very much everybody!

You may also call me at 7022017665

Thank you!! Ingo

Old 10-11-2016, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

I just saw this.....I remember the gaskets being one-sided, so-to-speak. I don't recall much puzzling over it. As best I remember, the block and the rail-flanges are both flat, so it shouldn't matter?

Old 10-12-2016, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 996 Likes on 676 Posts

I don't remember the gaskets being one-sided! I don't think it would make a difference anyway. Although I would prefer to have the lettering right-side-up!

Old 10-12-2016, 01:35 PM

I'm sorry for my late reply!!!

Thank you for messages SleekJag12 and aholbro1.

I had ordered the gaskets from Jagbits.com - so I called them to make sure I wouldn't make a mistake. On the second attempt somebody answered the phone and was very friendly and helpful!

Conclusion: the orientation on neither of the gaskets matters.

Everything went great and my baby is now completely dry again.

The research I did with all of your help made this task really easy. I was only struggling with one bolt. It was the bolt in the middle of the manifold. It sits right behind the EGR valve and there is very little room. I almost gave up during installation ( I really didn't want to take off the EGR and this holder ).
But then I was finally able to get it in and tighten it. The solution was to undo all other bolts and nuts as far as possible. this gave me that tiny bit extra room that I needed to reach the head of the bolt.

I ended up not taking as many pictures as I had planned. But it really was not as complicated as I had expected.

But still, maybe these images can still be helpful to somebody in the future.

Thank you again to everybody for your help and advice! :icon_trophy :

sincerely, Ingo