XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Costly error of omission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Costly error of omission?

I'm storing my '96 XJ6/X300 for the winter. The battery went down and I bought a trickle charger for it. The first time I charged it, I disconnected the battery and ran the charge. It was fine.

This time I forgot about introducing electrical impulses into the system. I charged it for 24 hours. When I disconnected the charger and tried to start it, it was lifeless. No response from the starter, I think I heard the fuel pump run, the initial instrument panel lights all came on, but that was it. I just sat there in disbelief. Slowly I remembered the caveats about jump statrting and remembered disconnecting the battery last time. Also the shifter will not move from park.

I fear I have compromised the entire electrical system. I did just read some info from the forum suggesting the alternator diodes burning out, but I can't explore the forum fast enough to allay the creeping feeling of dom for my newly purchased (last summer) cat.

Costly error of omission?-96-jaguar.jpg

Will the funeral director please come forward?

sjagerson

Old 03-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Try disconnecting again and a full 24 hour trickle charge. Then measure the battery voltage. For all you know, the battery might be close to dead.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 PM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

+1 on a dying battery.

If you plan on storing for long periods, a battery tender is a good investment.

Graham

Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Received 10,544 Likes on 6,964 Posts

I add my 2 cents.

I reckon the battery has simply had enough.

I NEVER disconnect for charging, or minding.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,841 Likes on 2,658 Posts

Originally Posted by sjagerson
I'm storing my '96 XJ6/X300 for the winter. The battery went down and I bought a trickle charger for it. The first time I charged it, I disconnected the battery and ran the charge. It was fine.

This time I forgot about introducing electrical impulses into the system. I charged it for 24 hours. When I disconnected the charger and tried to start it, it was lifeless. No response from the starter, I think I heard the fuel pump run, the initial instrument panel lights all came on, but that was it. I just sat there in disbelief. Slowly I remembered the caveats about jump statrting and remembered disconnecting the battery last time. Also the shifter will not move from park.

I fear I have compromised the entire electrical system. I did just read some info from the forum suggesting the alternator diodes burning out, but I can't explore the forum fast enough to allay the creeping feeling of dom for my newly purchased (last summer) cat.

Attachment 36316

Will the funeral director please come forward?

sjagerson
I think it was me who mentioned diode burnout (XJS forum) I wouldn't worry too much, you probably only need to buy a new battery.

I used to keep charging my batteries in order to get my monies worth out of them but its really false economy when you have an expensive car, as the last thing you want is break down at the side of the road.

Where bad things can happen if you have to leave it to go and get help.

Buy yourself a New One if its past its best and as for myself I use the old ones on my diesel compressor where its not a problem if the battery fails and then weigh it in at the scrap yard when it does.

During Winter Storage, I always/always/always, take the battery off.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 03-14-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:15 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

What type of trickle charger did you use? Manual, or automatic with float mode charging? If manual you probably fried a weak battery.

I have several vehicles/tractors/snowmobile, so I'm always dealing with batteries. I finally bit the bullet and bought a conductance type electronic battery tester:

YA2612B, Tester, Battery, Electronic, 12 volt

I bought it used from another forum. It's saved me several times when I didn't believe the problem was a dying or dead battery but this tester showed the truth. I also have several battery chargers, and use two of these the most:

Home page - Batterytender.com

It might be worth your while to invest in an excellent tester and automatic charger if you will store any vehicle for a length of time. If you don't have a good tester, can you take the cap off and use a hygrometer? If not, remove the battery and have it tested at a garage. I bet that's the problem.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 AM
Default Costly Error of Omission

Wow! Thanks for all of the posted responses. After reading the info found on the forum (after 28 days of not being started it goes into "sleep" mode) I used the original key to unlock the cat and it started right up! It still had some problem locking from the remote on the first try.

My anxiety has abated, somewhat.

I will purchase another battery. I already had a battery tender, but was reluctant to use it full time as it is stored in another person's garage.

Thanks again. I'm sure to be asking more questions as I get back on the road this spring!

Costly error of omission?-96-jaguar-600x450-.jpg

Scott

Old 03-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

You won't fry an ECM with a modern low current trickle charger.
You certainly can fry it with a big beefy charger. I speak from experience.
It is important to make a 'clean' reconnection when replacing the battery terminal (-ve last always). Don't dither, that can cause spikes and problems.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:24 AM
Default Costly Error of Omission

To jvitez,

Thank you for your help. I was using a battery tender trickle charger which automatically shuts down after reaching the desired charge. It seems like the perfect tool. I'll get a new battery to start spring off correctly. Again Thank you all for your advice and support.

Costly error of omission?-96-jaguar.jpg

Scott

Old 03-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
You won't fry an ECM with a modern low current trickle charger.
You certainly can fry it with a big beefy charger. I speak from experience.
It is important to make a 'clean' reconnection when replacing the battery terminal (-ve last always). Don't dither, that can cause spikes and problems.
Steve:
What do you consider "beefy"? I used a common 2 or 10 amp selected charger from Sears, probably puts out more of a square wave than real DC. Is that a bad idea?

Old 03-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member

Paul, I honestly can't say.
If your battery is in good heart it acts as a huge damper so nothing bad gets into the ECM but if it is tired spikes from your charger can destroy the ECM.
There doesn't seem to be a sensible crow bar voltage limiter on the circuit board.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

First ... gorgeous colour.

The one thing to watch out for when disconnecting/connecting battery cables is to be swift and firm to minimise sparking. Once that cable is on the terminal, hold it firmly against the terminal while tightening so that contact is maintained. Again to prevent sparking.

If the battery is connected, it acts as a damper and the sparking of the battery charger cables is not really a big concern.

If you are concerned about imposing on your host you might consider using a simple household timer to turn on the battery charger for an hour every couple of days or once a week.

Your other alternative is to take the battery out and bring it home. Once there, ensure that the charge is maintained.

A brand new battery will only be partially charged. They benefit from a full 24 hour trickle charge before being put into service.

Old 03-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Plums,
I really like the 'be swift and firm'. A motto worthy of 'Who Dares Wins'
I will suggest it.