XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Dead Security System

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 12:31 AM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Dead Security System

Hello guys. My security system does not seem to be active at all. There are no door chimes, no chimes when turning the key into the on position or starting the car, the central locking does not work via fob nor key, and the trunk will not open via either dash or trunk button. The security light on the dash is inactive and the fob reprogramming method in the "how to" section does not work. The trunk button on the dash did work once or twice when i first brought the car home, but that's all. I have attempted a hard reset with the terminals connected for a few minutes, with no luck.

For now I just use the small hole the previous owner dremel'd to pop the trunk open with a screwdriver, but for security reasons I would like to keep that covered up and, it will be a pain if i have to remove my license plate every time to open the trunk once I have the car registered and on the road. From what I've read on forums the security module is in the trunk, near the filler neck of the tank, however I have looked behind the carpet paneling and did not find anything aside from the gas door lock. What I'm looking for is what areas to check, what order i should probably check them in, and if I indeed have a dead security module - how to replace it with a second-hand unit. The car did have a bad BCM so maybe this module has left me as well? Also if someone has a picture of the security module, in it's home in the vehicle, that would be great. Thank you

Old 10-28-2018, 03:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

The SLCU is between the left hinge and the left body panel on my 96 by removing the trunk side panel , ir has about 30 wires

Sometimes placing a old towel on the battery and clamping cables together with a battery jumper cable overnight brings it back to zero state

Since the SLCU and BPM are hot at all times from the battery this is a valid approach IMO

The BT4 connector above the fuel tank becomes unlocked and the pins loose contact , ir's a pain in the *** and don'r try too hard and break the lock pins on the lock bar . mine had a tywrap to keep the var from swinging over unlocked

SLCU fuse off the top of my head is # 4 trunk fuse box

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 10-28-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:25 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I have checked the fuse and it's good, the connector is locked firmly in place with 2 zip ties. Upon closer inspection I do see the back of a module far up on the left hand side sort of tucked into the quarter panel up behind the filler neck, is this what I'm looking for or something else? I have yet to do the overnight hard reset to drain the memory but I will give it an attempt.

Old 10-29-2018, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

The SJCU is on a 30 degree mounting bracket with the 30 or so wires pointing out toward the back at you . There are 4 white connectors in a row that look like 1 single long connector . If the hard reset gives you nothing then we'll look at the power sources for the relays for the locks and such .

See page 28 and 198 for pic of rear seat left heelboard relays

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj1996.pdf

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 10-29-2018 at 12:45 AM.