XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello, I've emailed you from 2 different addresses (one of them tends to be identified as spam I'm afraid) as I'd like to buy one of these. Please get back to me asap and we'll sort the rest out. I live in Nottingham. gimenofm@gmail.com
Ta.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Received 661 Likes on 314 Posts

Thanks for your order. Your bracket has been despatched.

The following users liked this post:
gimenofm (07-10-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I will definitely order one after i get my Jag back on road again.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
Thanks for your order. Your bracket has been despatched.
Received. The missus took the car for work and won't be back until tomorrow eve...I shall then install it and report back after a few miles.

Cheers!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 302 Posts

Installed my bracket today and very happy. Beautifully made and install on my 94 XJS was a snip. There was a palpable improvement in throttle response and acceleration. Fuel economy seems to have improved by a little over 1 MPG based on a 150 mile drive today that included lots of full throttle acceleration A definite win-win scenario.

Thank you Andy!!

Cheers,
Allan

The following users liked this post:
XJ-Executive (09-10-2016)
Old 07-12-2013, 03:04 AM

I installed it yesterday and it's as easy to install as everyone says, just depends on how rotten your bolts are.

I also have to join the club of the ones who say that the throttle response is significantly improved. About fuel economy I can't give any feedback just yet. Will try and go for a 100 mile ride next week.

I broke the old bracket so it's not like I'm going back to the original anyway haha.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:58 PM

Dear All,
I've only got 3 brackets left from the current batch, so if anyone is thinking of ordering one, then don't delay, if you don't want to have to wait till I make some more.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:33 PM

I am now out of stock of these brackets, but I'm getting another batch made, which should be ready in about 2 weeks. Please get in touch if you would like to order one.

Old 08-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Received 351 Likes on 224 Posts

Can I chip in?
Andy's bracket improves power and mid-range response. My car will happily run on 98 RON petrol with no 'pinking', using this bracket. My 0-100km/h times dropped 1 second (from 9.9 to 8.9 secs - a 3.2 X300).

Coupled with a K&N pod filter (remove airbox), top end is markedly better, and I would advocate bracket plus pod filter (no 0-100 km/h time yet).

Old 08-11-2013, 04:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AL NZ
Can I chip in?
Andy's bracket improves power and mid-range response. My car will happily run on 98 RON petrol with no 'pinking', using this bracket. My 0-100km/h times dropped 1 second (from 9.9 to 8.9 secs - a 3.2 X300).

Coupled with a K&N pod filter (remove airbox), top end is markedly better, and I would advocate bracket plus pod filter (no 0-100 km/h time yet).
Sorry to ask what might be an epically dumb question, but does a pod filter not suck hot air from the engine bay? Is this not a thing to avoid?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by zathras
Sorry to ask what might be an epically dumb question, but does a pod filter not suck hot air from the engine bay? Is this not a thing to avoid?
Well, the car definitely goes better. More surface area than a panel filter in a box, and less restrictive pipe length.
The pod sits in the front left corner of the engine bay, gets a bit of cold air through from the lights - just like the standard filter box pipe does. It is on the inlet side of the engine, so the exhaust is on the other side, and has heat shields.
Having said all that, it is winter, and things might be different in a typical Hawkes Bay or Hamilton hot summer. But I don't spend much time in traffic, usually moving, and I doubt a 3.2 generates anywhere near the under-bonnet temps of an XJR or V12, so I am not too worried.
As far as I can tell, the X300 engine bay would be a difficult one to get good cold air in to, short of removing a headlight.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:50 AM

Well, the car definitely goes better. More surface area than a panel filter in a box, and less restrictive pipe length.
The pod sits in the front left corner of the engine bay, gets a bit of cold air through from the lights - just like the standard filter box pipe does. It is on the inlet side of the engine, so the exhaust is on the other side, and has heat shields.
Having said all that, it is winter, and things might be different in a typical Hawkes Bay or Hamilton hot summer. But I don't spend much time in traffic, usually moving, and I doubt a 3.2 generates anywhere near the under-bonnet temps of an XJR or V12, so I am not too worried.
As far as I can tell, the X300 engine bay would be a difficult one to get good cold air in to, short of removing a headlight.
Cheers

I might see if I can get my friendly local sheetmetal man to make me up a baffle to keep the hot air away and then I will get a pod filter for it...

Old 08-11-2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by zathras
Cheers

I might see if I can get my friendly local sheetmetal man to make me up a baffle to keep the hot air away and then I will get a pod filter for it...
when I lived in Hamilton I bought a sheet of 0.5 mm aluminium from somewhere, made up some paper templates, then fashioned my own brake ducts for my BA Falcon - easy.
the thin sheet cuts well with tin snips - have a go yourself!

Old 08-12-2013, 03:42 AM

when I lived in Hamilton I bought a sheet of 0.5 mm aluminium from somewhere, made up some paper templates, then fashioned my own brake ducts for my BA Falcon - easy.
the thin sheet cuts well with tin snips - have a go yourself!
Roger that

Old 08-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi I recently just did a lot of work to my 96 XJR to get it back on the road. Performance intake from Mina Gallery New Coil Packs plugs valve cover and gaskets along with cleaning the intake from the supercharger... I'm 26 years old and I have been doing all the work on my car and I am finding that these cars are not easy to work on (octopus hose).
Anyway I'd like to see what the difference is when you apply this upgrade to a supercharged x300. I haven't read any posts from any owners I'm only seeing the naturally aspirated comments. But I'd really like to get a little more out of this sweet engine. The stock low end torque always roasts the tires and I love seeing the look on peoples faces when you make a big car like the xj move. I've beaten Sr20 powered 240sx's and mustangs and camaros. But if i could get this puppy to run with the bigger displacement american cars I'd love it.
Also I'm looking into upgrading the exhaust too. What diameter piping would be best to use for this engine?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 AM

Thank you

Old 08-16-2013, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sikfc3s
Hi I recently just did a lot of work to my 96 XJR to get it back on the road. Performance intake from Mina Gallery New Coil Packs plugs valve cover and gaskets along with cleaning the intake from the supercharger... I'm 26 years old and I have been doing all the work on my car and I am finding that these cars are not easy to work on (octopus hose).
Anyway I'd like to see what the difference is when you apply this upgrade to a supercharged x300. I haven't read any posts from any owners I'm only seeing the naturally aspirated comments. But I'd really like to get a little more out of this sweet engine. The stock low end torque always roasts the tires and I love seeing the look on peoples faces when you make a big car like the xj move. I've beaten Sr20 powered 240sx's and mustangs and camaros. But if i could get this puppy to run with the bigger displacement american cars I'd love it.
Also I'm looking into upgrading the exhaust too. What diameter piping would be best to use for this engine?
Hi, I have a XJR, my comments is on post #130 if you want to read. I´m not sure how to quote that old post.

Anyway, the bracket is great.

I would also recommend to cut off the snorkel and make a big hole on the side of the air filter box. Then you use a flexible, spiral reinforced hose (Diameter 140 mm if I remember right) from kitchen ventilation.
The hose fits perfectly in the precut hole in the left inner ving. You just have to remove the rubber thing that covers the hole.
Voila! You got 5-10 degrees colder air coming into the filter box.
I was a bit worried that a lot of dust would enter via the intake but it have not yet on my car. I checked the filter after 1000 km driving and it looked completetly clean.

/Niclas

Old 08-17-2013, 11:32 AM

I don't have the stock intake anymore niclas. I have the mina gallery intake and it eliminates the stock box. Ill post a pic. And thank youvim going to read your post

Old 08-18-2013, 07:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like one of these brackets,

could you email me details to

corsa_jaymz@hotmail.co.uk

regards
James

Old 08-31-2013, 04:02 AM

Hi James,
I have emailed you directly.

Dear All,
I took delivery of another batch of brackets last week. This takes the total production to over 260. If anyone wants one, then please get in touch at andystodart@metronet.co.uk

Quick Reply: DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines