XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 03:11 AM
Received 661 Likes on 314 Posts

Thanks for the very positive feedback.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one of these brackets, unused, that I'm willing to sell. I bought it for a '96 VDP and never installed it.

To be clear, I'm not trying to undercut Andy here, I bought it from him and he couldn't have been more helpful, I just shelved the idea and never got back to doing it.

I'll give it up for the same price I bought it for, again, not to compete with Andy. Message me if you'd like to buy it. Thanks so much.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:16 AM
Received 351 Likes on 224 Posts

JoeP, it will take less time to fit the bracket than visit the post office to send it to its new owner!

The following users liked this post:
XJ-Executive (09-10-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 03:38 AM

AL NZ is right. I can fit one of these brackets in under 15mins on an XJR and that job that includes removing and refitting the SC drive belt tensioner. Fitting my bracket to a US spec cXJR is a little bit more awkward because the secondary air pump obscures the view of the bracket. However, this is not the case with the naturally aspirated engines as the air pump is mounted in the position occupied by the supercharger on an XJR. It should therefore be possible to change the bracket in under 15 mins, assuming nothing is seized.

littlelic69 (02-07-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 05:17 AM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I would like one of these brackets, I sent an email a few weeks ago but not had a reply so have just resent it, could you check please.
Thanks.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardhw
I would like one of these brackets, I sent an email a few weeks ago but not had a reply so have just resent it, could you check please.
Thanks.
Double-check your sent-mail. I believe Andy's wife Helen is handling sales now, and at one point in this thread her email address was posted wrongly, missing the "n" in Helen as I recall.

The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
XJ-Executive (09-10-2016), XJRengineer (03-14-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Double-check your sent-mail. I believe Andy's wife Helen is handling sales now, and at one point in this thread her email address was posted wrongly, missing the "n" in Helen as I recall.
Thanks for that suggestion, just checked and the info is there ! Dont have a clue why it didnt go to my inbox.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:50 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Fitted the bracket to my newly acquired XJR306 and, woosh, there she goes, smooth and swift like hell!

The following 2 users liked this post by haddock:
Old 03-13-2016, 04:13 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Revised crankshaft sensor brkt

Hello chaps just a quick update on my "Andy bracket" which has now been on the car for a couple of months. Firstly although the on board mpg calculator doesn't show any great change in fuel consumption, my own rather primative calculations do show a slight improvement of around a two mpg improvement, which means I'm now somewhere around the 26-28 mpg mark, that's general driving on UK (awfull) roads not steady distance driving,which would see this figure improve. The other point of possible interest is my MOT emissions results both prior and after fitment of revised bracket. My last MOT emissions test was two days ago and compared to last year's readings both CO and HC readings are better this year. I didn't use the same testing station each time, although the types of tester were the same, the car has the same exhaust and hasn't been serviced since last year too. This all could be completely meaningless I suppose as there could be so many other variables to take into account which I don't know about. Anyway a worthwhile investment in my opinion.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mr happy:
Old 03-13-2016, 05:45 AM
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey all, I fitted one of Andys Brackets about a month after purchasing my x300 a year or so ago, I fitted it along with a Short Ram Intake and although I noticed a marked improvement, at the time. I regrettably hadn't done enough driving pre-bracket to make a comprehensive comparison.
This may be a "yeah derrr" comment but I'm always amazed at an oil and filter change, Having just done one I've noticed again an immediate pick up in acceleration, smooth gear change and general feel. This may be a placebo effect but I'm convinced that general servicing is one of the best ways to maintain and improve the performance of our Jags. FYI I do the oil and filter change every 8000km and use a Penrite 20/60 mineral oil.

XJRengineer (03-14-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 11:20 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
Mina Gallery is the only one I know of that sells one specific for the x300 but they are over priced for what it is. I would rather buy a k&n universal pod filter and the elbow piping from an autoparts store. Will save you about $60-$70 honestly.
From what I have seen and read the Mina Gallery kit is not only overpriced, but also pretty cheesy. I took a slightly different route for my XJR6's cold air system from others and chose to retain the K&N panel filter installed by previous owner and added cold air intake ducting to the OEM air box. Incurred approximately $50 US in costs for the PVC pipe and flex piping. Removed the original air inlet horn and replaced with flex routed into the fender well opening. Cut hole in lid of air box and installed 4" thin wall plastic pipe routed down behind the driver side grill. A few photos so you can see what I'm describing.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines-20160317_100129_resized.jpg   DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines-20160317_100106_resized.jpg   DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines-20160317_100117_resized.jpg   DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines-20160317_100242_resized.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by John Dobbins:
al_roethlisberger (03-28-2016), XJ-Executive (09-10-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Finally fitted the bracket to my 95 VDP. I have to say, it was incredibly simple to do. It took me longer to find my 8mm socket than it did to install the whole thing!

I have to say, I've been driving the car harder, and have STILL seen a 3 MPG increase! That's damn near a 15% improvement! As for acceleration, I can't really say. I've also installed a carbon fiber air box with a cone filter inside, and the car feels different overall. A little smoother, but perhaps a bit slower in the low range. I've definitely noticed a big pickup in the higher RPMS however, it almost feels like a turbo. I'm going to try disconnecting my battery to reset the system and see what happens.

I'd definitely recommend this bracket to anyone. It'll pay for itself in no time.

The following 2 users liked this post by Malihide:
XJ-Executive (09-10-2016), XJRengineer (04-16-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Note of warning on oiled filters such as K&N, we've had a few reports of what appears to be the oil fouling our hot wire MAF sensors. Since the XJR version MAF is near unobtanium, that may not be a risk worth taking. As always YMMV

Old 03-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Thumbs up Cool, thanks!

Originally Posted by John Dobbins
From what I have seen and read the Mina Gallery kit is not only overpriced, but also pretty cheesy. I took a slightly different route for my XJR6's cold air system from others and chose to retain the K&N panel filter installed by previous owner and added cold air intake ducting to the OEM air box. Incurred approximately $50 US in costs for the PVC pipe and flex piping. Removed the original air inlet horn and replaced with flex routed into the fender well opening. Cut hole in lid of air box and installed 4" thin wall plastic pipe routed down behind the driver side grill. A few photos so you can see what I'm describing.
Interesting, thanks for the example.

I've tinkered with a similar idea for a while, but it concerned me how the two conflicting input airflows might interact inside the airbox.

If one looks at the airbox, it has embossed directions for the air filter pleats to be parallel to the airflow. And based on some related experience dyno testing stock airboxes, modified airboxes, modified inlet tubes, and no airbox on motorcycles... one might be surprised to find that seemingly obvious improvements such as removing perceived restrictions up to and including the airbox itself can often result in lowered performance. Big shocker, that the engineers sometimes actually knew better

Can't say that is the case with the XJR airbox, but it is one reason I haven't taken a drill to it yet

Ideally it would be great if someone had access to a dyno and could test several airbox and filter options to see what really delivered better performance. That's the only real way to know.

I can't find the thread at the moment, but there was a recommendation by someone (XJREngineer?) a while back that did some research that just cutting off the tapered "trumpet" on the inlet and extending it with some equal diameter tubing out in front of the radiator did seem to help some.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 03-28-2016 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Note of warning on oiled filters such as K&N, we've had a few reports of what appears to be the oil fouling our hot wire MAF sensors. Since the XJR version MAF is near unobtanium, that may not be a risk worth taking. As always YMMV

Read about that possible issue.
The previous owner had installed the K&N and was liberal to say the least with the oil, three washes to get clean. I then very lightly oiled and reinstalled at time of putting the whole system back together after cleaning the whole intake from air box to head intake ports. Amazing how much oil can accumulate in the intercooler. Catch can on order to prevent having to do that monster job in future.
I am looking at attempting to fit a dry type pod filter inside the original air box. Will keep all updated on how that goes.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:12 AM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

So a little update here.

I reset the ECU and fixed a possible leak in the new CAI (oops?). Immediately I could tell that something was different. Holy hell, it was seriously like having the car in sport mode! Except the milage increased AGAIN. I'm getting 25.6 miles to the gallon after a 200 mile cruise using a rather lead foot. This is compared to the 21 I used to get babying it. It's unbelievable.

I switched to 94 octane just in case, which has the added benefit of being ethanol-free! Being only a few cents more expensive per liter, it's hard to say no to. I really have to say that I'm blown away by the improvement from this little bracket. If you're driving an X300, this is an absolute MUST HAVE. It'll pay for itself pretty quickly. Thank you so much, Andy!

The following 2 users liked this post by Malihide:
XJ-Executive (09-10-2016), XJRengineer (04-16-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

I understand that the XJR ECU runs reasonably rich compared to a NA car. Andy, can you comment if the bracket makes any difference to the Air/fuel ratio?

I have seen a dyno test showing the bracket runs the car slightly leaner (which I would like to do), but I didn't know if it was valid data or not.

Old 03-30-2016, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
I understand that the XJR ECU runs reasonably rich compared to a NA car. Andy, can you comment if the bracket makes any difference to the Air/fuel ratio?

I have seen a dyno test showing the bracket runs the car slightly leaner (which I would like to do), but I didn't know if it was valid data or not.
My XJR6 still runs a bit rich. Have had the bracket installed for going on 4 months now. Biggest change I noted was the sharper throttle response.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:23 AM

Dear All,
Fitting my bracket has no effect on the air:fuel ratio that the engine runs. The engine does run richer than opotimum for best power at engine speeds above about 4000rpm and wide open throttle. Believe it or not, this extra fuel actual cools the exhaust system, which can be necessary if such conditions are sustained for long periods of time, as is possible on an engine dyno. It is not really neceesary if full throttle is only used during brief accelerations. This is why fitting a 10% larger crank pulley can be fitted without making any modifications to the fuelling control. This modification simply makes the engine run a bit less rich.

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback on the bracket. I have just had the 500th one made, which is something of a milestone, and reflects the continued support from Jaguar owners both here and on other forums.

The following 4 users liked this post by XJRengineer:
alcasey (04-17-2016), Jagboi64 (04-17-2016), smgdata (04-17-2016), XJ-Executive (09-10-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 09:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy: I like the idea of running a bit less rich with the larger crank-pulley. a) May I assume correctly that this improves gas mileage a bit? b) Does this have a +/- effect on responsiveness / performance? I don't want to compromise power. b) If i wanted to install one, do I just ask my jaguar mechanic to look for a pulley that's 10% larger? Or do you have a recommended source / part number? Clearly green-horn questions: sorry.

Quick Reply: DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines