XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 05:00 PM
Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi all,

I'm pretty interested in this bracket, even just to see what it does, all the speculation has peaked my interest haha.

I have one question before I order one.

My idle is slightly rough. I fixed it somewhat by cleaning the throttle body and setting the gap back to spec.

So with this bracket, has anyone found that their idle is less smooth? I wouldn't want to go backwards even slightly to the lumpy idle.

If this bracket doesn't effect the idle or even helps with the idle, I'd certainly be ordering one.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:12 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Harry Dredge
Hi all,

I'm pretty interested in this bracket, even just to see what it does, all the speculation has peaked my interest haha.

I have one question before I order one.

My idle is slightly rough. I fixed it somewhat by cleaning the throttle body and setting the gap back to spec.

So with this bracket, has anyone found that their idle is less smooth? I wouldn't want to go backwards even slightly to the lumpy idle.

If this bracket doesn't effect the idle or even helps with the idle, I'd certainly be ordering one.

My car runs very well and it's smoothness at low rpm is amazing. However the bracket has made it a little less smooth on my car in my opinion. If you want better performance don't let that stop you. I suggest if your idle is actually lumpy that you keep looking for the cause. Maybe invest in a spare coil and swap it into each of the six cylinders to see if it becomes smooth. Maybe try the same trick with the injectors using a spare injector.

An ODB2 BlueTooth (or USB) and a laptop could help you check your sensors. Mine cost £8 off ebay, the laptop was a little more.

The following users liked this post:
XJRengineer (04-25-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 06:14 AM
Received 661 Likes on 314 Posts

Wayland,
I'm a little confused about you observation on smoothness, as you have written "its smoothness at low rpm is amazing" and then "it is a little less smooth". Other owners who have fitted my revised crank sensor bracket have remarked that they feel that the idle quality has improved, though this was never the main objective in developing this bracket. My main target had always been to improve performance and fuel economy.

scarbro2011 (05-28-2016)
Old 05-14-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Well it certainly hasn't made my car lumpy or rough anywhere in the rev range.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:21 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I would like to buy one of these brackets, please check your email.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:18 AM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

i am also interested in buying one,i emailed a few weeks ago,and have not received a reply yet,tnx

Old 05-28-2016, 12:49 AM
Received 91 Likes on 57 Posts

Hi!
I purchased one of these little beauties 04/2016 and didn't install it
until today on my wife's 1994 XJS 2+2 (AJ6 engine).

It took about 30 - 35 minutes plus another 20 minutes to clean the
engine area around the bracket beforehand.
I spent an hour communing with the Jaguar Deities while performing
this rite. All was acceptable and good.

Removal Rite-
First, I used a 8mm closed end wrench and a 8mm socket to remove the actual
CPS assy. I moved the CPS assy out of the way for the old bracket removal.

Second, I Then used a 10mm socket to remove the 2 bolts holding the old
bracket and removed it from the guide mounts.

Install Rite-
I cleaned the CPS body because the new bracket opening is really snug.
I mounted the new bracket first using the original mounting bolts.

I then inserted the cleaned CPS assy into the new bracket using the original bolt.

Final Rite -
Check the work and started the cat. . .

Smoooooth !! Very, Very Nice !

Kind Regards to All and P O R - Press On Regardless

XJRengineer (07-02-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 10:23 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

i would like to purchase one of these brackets,where do i go to get one??

Old 06-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmedina2005
i would like to purchase one of these brackets,where do i go to get one??
This thread, Post #395; careful you don't use post #391, as it has a typo.

Old 06-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
This thread, Post #395; careful you don't use post #391, as it has a typo.
you do realize that the post# on the right edge of a post is a URL link to the post, right?

Linky to post 395

Old 06-03-2016, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Default Op

Originally Posted by caldercay
you do realize that the post# on the right edge of a post is a URL link to the post, right?

Linky to post 395
Nope, but thanks! I'd seen people link to specific posts and always wondered how?!

Old 06-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
Wayland,
I'm a little confused about you observation on smoothness, as you have written "its smoothness at low rpm is amazing" and then "it is a little less smooth". Other owners who have fitted my revised crank sensor bracket have remarked that they feel that the idle quality has improved, though this was never the main objective in developing this bracket. My main target had always been to improve performance and fuel economy.

I have only had this one Jaguar so I don't know if mine runs right. I have now had the car longer with your bracket than with the original. I do think the car produces a harder sound with your bracket. Not a bad thing just an observation. I think the softer sound is why the timing is not this advanced as standard or else it's to run on lower octane fuel.

I also think my car runs better on the standard UK fuel not the super. I got 20mpg by the computer on the last tank of super and I am getting 24mpg on the standard. I always get better MPG if I drive fast on dual carriage ways rather than drive 1 mile to the shops so this might be the reason. I should note the average speed as well as the MPG.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:45 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelmedina2005
i am also interested in buying one,i emailed a few weeks ago,and have not received a reply yet,tnx
This happened to me, in fact I had received a reply but for some reason the reply went to my sent box and not my inbox, don't know if this is your issue but it's worth a quick look.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:15 AM

Dear All,
Thank you all very much for the positive feedback. We have just had another batch of brackets made taking the total to 520. When I first started making them 7 or 8 years ago I never would have guessed that they would have proved to be so popular. Thank you to everyone for their continued support. As usual, if anyone wants one, then please email my wife helenstodart@gmail.com

Old 07-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default crank shaft sensor

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
People are welcome to attempt to modify a standard bracket rather than use one of mine, butIi suggest that you consider than the air gap between the sensor tip and the trigger wheel must be maintained at 1.0mm with a tolerance of 0.5mm. To maximise signal quality the sensor should be radial to the trgger wheel and in the middle of the width of the teeth in the axis of the cranksahft. All in all, you will find it much easier to use something that has been design specially for the job.
hi xjrengineer, i would like to find out how to buy one of your brackets i have a 1997 xjr 4.0 litre, with a broken bracket as you might already know from my post with a pic of bracket. thanks brian

Old 07-18-2016, 01:34 PM

I was sorry to read about your broken bracket. I have replied directly to your email.

Old 07-23-2016, 03:11 PM
Received 223 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Hole too small

Whoever made the last batch needs to make the hole bigger. I thought that it would have just slid in but no. I had to man handle it, put grease on it to get it in and in the process broke the sensor. Now buying a new one. But hey I will just chalk that one up to my stupidness....again. Should have just gave up and either had it machined myself or send it back. Oh well live and learn

Old 07-23-2016, 04:15 PM

I am extremely sorry that you have had a bad experience with one of my brackets. I have checked all of the remaining brackets that I have in stock from the current batch. As you say, the sensor hole is undersize. It should be 17mm, but it is only 16.8mm on all the brackets that I have checked. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Please contact me directly and I will arrange to reimburse you for the cost of your broken sensor. Please also return your faulty bracket and I will send you a replacement. In future, I will implement a 100% check on the hole size of all brackets prior to shipment.

To anyone else who has recently purchased one of these brackets, please do not try to force the sensor if it does not fit. Please return any brackets with undersize holes and I will exchange them for brackets which have been 100% checked for size before shipping.

Once again, I sincerely apologise to anyone who has been inconvenienced by this quality issue. This is the first time we have had any quality issues with these brackets in a production run that now totals 500 parts.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:26 AM
Received 197 Likes on 126 Posts

I have also heard several times here in Netherlands that the hole in the bracket is too small, even in my bracket. I have cleaned sensor with fine sandpaper and then adjusts the sensor correctly.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:28 PM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

This morning after loading my x330 with my golf gear, she refused to start. I had a good cranking speed, but no hint of a start. The rev counter barely moved. So after golf, I dug through my myriad spares and located a crankshaft position sensor with an Andy bracket! The worst part was to unlatch the connectors, I had to take the bracket off to get sufficient grip of the joint. Also, my right forearm has been savaged due to lack of space between the radiator fan assembly and the engine. The really good news is that the car runs very well, and appears sharper on acceleration.

XJRengineer (07-25-2016)

Quick Reply: DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines