XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Im interested in purchasing one as well...how would i go about buying one? Thanks. Btw i have a 95 xjr 4.0 s/c

Old 10-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Hi XJR, I would like one of your brackets. The performance of the car (4.0L) is satisfactory but with the price of fuel better mileage is a very good thing. The car is a daily driver and is driven in a very modest way so as not to decorate the hood with deer antlers. Also, for the eight years I have owned the car I have always used regular gas 87. Tried premium a few times and fould absolutely no difference snice I never get to high cylinder pressures to need the additional octane. As an engineer also I have never seen the need in the additional octane with my driving habits.

Put me down for one of you brackets when you make a new set. At that time I will also replacer the CPS as I beieve I am having intermittant problems with it.

Take care.

Last edited by EZDriver; 10-14-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Received 661 Likes on 314 Posts

Anyone wishingto buy a bracket should contact me directly via andystodart@metronet.co.uk. I currently have a number in stock.

All AJ16 engines were mapped to run on 95RON fuel which would be about equivalent to 90pump octane, if there was such a grade of fuel. The knock control system will retard the ignition if necessary if the engine is run on lower octane fuel, such as 87pump octane. However, if the vehicle is to be run on 87pump octane fuel, then I would not recoomend fitting my revised bracket.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Andy!!! Got the bracket today in post!!! Gotta love the speed of delivery within UK! And love how easy and quick it was to replace it!!! I have not tested it on the road, as car is still untaxed and without insurance, but I'm hoping for really good results from what I've read here, and adding to it that since my last drive in it I serviced it properly and installed high flow air filter with direct cold air feed... When I drove it first time, it felt quite strong already, but after all that it should go like a rocket Uh, I can't wait It took less than 5 minutes to replace, without moving the radiator fans or anything (good to have slim hands) and my younger brother recorded few videos, so after we download it from his Sh*tberry, I'll upload here

Old 10-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Old 10-18-2012, 07:17 PM

I will be ordering one of these for the power gains, but having read the thread didn't see anything on how the mod may affect emissions. We still have testing here in Ontario and under load my 95 XJS 4.0 is just over the HC limit with a reading of 54ppm and only 50 allowed. All other readings are well within limits. While I'm chasing down solutions to this, will this likely help, hinder or have no effect on the vehicle emissions?
Thanks,
John

Old 10-19-2012, 01:50 AM

well, according to my logic, if the fuel consumption is supposed to be lower, then emissions should be lower as well...

Old 10-19-2012, 02:13 AM

Fule consumption is basically proportional to CO2 emissions. However, the mechanisms for the production of HC, CO and NOx emissions are much more complex.

I assume that the emissions test to which jcwells is refering is perfomred at idle. Other factors such as catalyst condition, lambda sensor condition, injector cleanliness, deposit build-up and the presence of any air leaks are likely to be much more significant factors than the effect of 5 degrees extra ignition advance on HC emissions.

Old 10-20-2012, 06:44 PM
The following users liked this post:
Greyhound (06-18-2020)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's about how I swapped out my bracket. However, I didn't remove the sensor from the bracket, just loosened the sensor bolt. I removed the sensor from the bracket once the bracket was removed, made it easier for me. Reversed the procedure, in that I put the sensor on the new bracket, got the bolt hand-tight, then installed the bracket and tightened the sensor bolt. Also, when installing the new bracket, I used blue Loctite on the bolts.

And yes, it's actually that easy to do as the video shows!

Jumpin' Jag Flash (10-08-2015)
Old 11-05-2012, 03:29 PM

I was asked by a Jaguar owner to make one of my brackets which provides an extra 7 degrees of ignition advance, instead of the usual 5 degrees. The owner is now not replying to my emails, so I'm offering this bespoke bracket to anyone else that wants it. Please contact me directly for more details.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:55 AM

Hi XJR Engineer. I have quick question associated with a long term problem I have had. I replaced the transmission of my 96 XJR two years ago. It has not run correctly since. Visited multiple repair shops to no avail. A friend recently questioned the compatibility of the replacement transmission (and its electronics) with the cars original ECM. My question... even though I purchased a transmission that bolted up and moves the car, could I have an incompatible transmission causing engine management issues? Many Thanks! Cheers, Dewayne Johnson

Old 11-10-2012, 06:27 AM

Yes, it is possible. The GM Hydramatic 4L80E transmission was used in multiple US vehicle applications, as well as Bentleys, Jaguar V12s and the XJR6. There are even differences between the Jaguar V12 and XJR6 applications. If your replacement tranmission actually came from another XJR then I would not expect there to be a compatiblity issue. However, there is a common issue with this transmission application in the XJR6. If the rear gearbox mount deteriorates it allows the rear of the transmission to move about too much. This in turn puts increased strain on the the connector between the gearbox harness and the gearbox itself. This can cause poor connections and all manner of associated electrical control issues with the trnasmission.

DewayneJohnson (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Default XJR transmission issue

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
Yes, it is possible. The GM Hydramatic 4L80E transmission was used in multiple US vehicle applications, as well as Bentleys, Jaguar V12s and the XJR6. There are even differences between the Jaguar V12 and XJR6 applications. If your replacement tranmission actually came from another XJR then I would not expect there to be a compatiblity issue. However, there is a common issue with this transmission application in the XJR6. If the rear gearbox mount deteriorates it allows the rear of the transmission to move about too much. This in turn puts increased strain on the the connector between the gearbox harness and the gearbox itself. This can cause poor connections and all manner of associated electrical control issues with the trnasmission.
Thanks mate! I think you may have me on the right path after 2 years of wondering. My problem most certainly seems to be an interference with the timing of my 96 xjr6. Your helpful response makes sense since the behavior of the car is so inconsistent. I do have a few follow questions I am eager to ask: If I have installed a transmission that was not originally intended for my XJR... 1. where are the electronic components of the transmission located? 2. Can I retrofit the correct electronic components to the transmission I have currently bolted in? 3. Or should do I need to purchase a transmission specifically for a xjr? I truly appreciate your help!

Cheers! Dewayne

Old 11-13-2012, 02:28 PM

I'm not familiar with the different vehicle applications of the GM4L80E transmission. If the gearox came from a different vehicle it could have any number of different features including torque converter stiffness and internal gear ratios. These could affect the suitability of the XJR6 calibration. The transmission control modue (TCM) is mounted somewhere under the dashboard/ footwell on the LH side (viewed from inside the car). Provided this was not changed when you changed the transmission hardware then you should still have the correct XJR6 TCM in your car. However, whether that is compatible with the actual transmission hardware that you now have is another matter. I suggest that you try to find some part numbers on the transmission and see if they are the correct Jaguar part by going on the www.jaguarclassicparts.com website.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:29 AM

Thank you very much to everyone who has had the confidence in my revised crank sensor bracket design and fitted one to their car. I have now made over 200 of these brackets, which I think is quite an achievement. If anyone would like one, then please get in touch, as I have just had another batch made. (andystodart@metronet.co.uk)

The following 4 users liked this post by XJRengineer:
aholbro1 (12-09-2012), Alfisti (12-08-2012), Keesh (12-08-2012), XJ-Executive (09-10-2016)
Old 12-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
Thank you very much to everyone who has had the confidence in my revised crank sensor bracket design and fitted one to their car. I have now made over 200 of these brackets, which I think is quite an achievement. If anyone would like one, then please get in touch, as I have just had another batch made. (andystodart@metronet.co.uk)
Andy's received LOTS of testimonials about his bracket, and I'd just like to say again that it's great that someone like him took it upon himself to make something like this, and thru the beauty of the internet, X300 owners around the world get to enjoy the fruits of his labor. This is easily the best $100 (or so) investment that one can make in their X300, hands down. It's very nicely machined, and can be installed in a matter of minutes with simple hand tools, and there are several "how to's" in this thread that show how easy it is to do.

If anyone is sitting on the fence about whether to buy one of Andy's brackets for their X300, I can recommend, with any doubt, that this is a worthy investment. Take the plunge, and help support Andy is keeping our X300s purring like they should!

Old 12-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

My bracket came today and I installed in 30 min. A lot of that time was spent getting the sensor in the bracket. I finally used a fine file on the sensor to clean it off. This car was always in the Atlanta area and garage kept. Light surface rust on the suspension components only. Tomorrow I'll see how it runs.
I do have fuel trim issue, but that's for another thread.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hello.

Got rid of my `72 Jagrolet a few years ago, but liked it well enough that i just bought a new to me `97 XJ6 last week with 67k miles. It's a great car but I'm a little bummed about 16 mpg (according to the car's computer). I expected at least 17 around town, and the 16 is really in mixed use. Haven't checked air cleaner yet but the rest of the car has been so pampered I can't believe it would be filthy enough to impact mileage. Is 16 mpg for real? I did check tires just now and they are only a little low at 28 psi. The bracket sounds great but 0.5 mpg more is a little underwhelming.

Thanks!
jb

Old 12-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

16 is a bit sub-par. If you just got it....have you renewed all the filters and performed an oil-change already? May be due for throttle-body cleaning ...and I recall reading that some respond well to having the fuel-adaptations cleared periodically, especially after sprucing up the fuel-air path. This would require WDS or equiv to accomplish.

Don't know what's dragging your efficiency, or how it may interact, but Andy's bracket is by far the best bang for your $$ to boost a properly tuned and performing Jag straight six!

Quick Reply: DIY Modification to Improve Performance and Fuel Economy of AJ16 and AJ6 Engines