XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Does the 4.0L I6 in X300 models have a Chevy V8 bellhousing bolt pattern

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:30 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Does the 4.0L I6 in X300 models have a Chevy V8 bellhousing bolt pattern

I joked in another thread about putting a Jaguar V12 in my Chevelle after reading about 4L80E's being used in a selection of X300's.

I considered the scenario reversed and wondered if the X300 would easily accept a Chevy V8. Then I wondered the same about other jaguars. Then I thought, what if the XJ8 that I just scrapped could have (making me an idiot for scraping it).

Essentially, my question is more about the V8 four-liter rather than the I6 four-liter and is really a series of questions:

Does the 4L80E have a Chevy-spec bellhousing?

if yes, then:

Does the 4.0L I6 have the Chevy bolt pattern in both natural and S/C models?

regardless of second answer, if first was yes, then:

What other Jaguars share this bolt pattern?

If the final answer is that the 4.0L V8 has it, I will be so sad.

I hope I did not just scrap my beautiful XJ8 with a brand new engine on hand.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts
Default No, on several fronts

First, the normally aspirated (non XJR) X300 did not use the 4L80E, only the XJR did. And no, it doesn't just bolt up a GM motor, which would be only a small part of your challenge. You would also have to deal with all the electronics to get a different engine to cooperate. While possible, it isn't a minor thing.

The XJ8 XJR used a Mercedes transmission.

The normally aspirated X300 and X308 use a ZF transmission.

Now, I'm sure people have swapped out engines in both X300 and X308, but I don't think there are any kits like there are for the SIII cars because again the X300 and X308 cars have so many electronic control system dependencies and it is such a small market.

Whether scrapping your XJ8 was a good idea or not, I can't say. But there are several threads on the X308 forum discussing replacing dead AJ26/AJ27 engines with used AJ26/AJ27 motors.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
First, the normally aspirated (non XJR) X300 did not use the 4L80E, only the XJR did.
I know, hence the second part of my question.

Are you saying no it does not bolt up or are you saying it does not "just bolt up."

Obviously, a Chevrolet motor is not a direct replacement for anything but the same type of Chevrolet that it came out of.

I am not looking for a engine swap tutorial, a multitude of people telling me about impossibilities, estimations of my abilities, or anything other than the answer to my question for that matter.

Lets assume I didn't even specify why I was asking and start over from here:

Jaguar engines use Chevy V8 bellhousing patterns?....Yes/No?

The ZF's will need an external vehicle speed input to the Trans-ECU from Motor-ECU or stand-alone sender then hardwired into modified harness (for starters).

Obviously non-ECU vehicles would be easier of course...so back to my question again, do they exist or not? (Jaguars that would physically accept Chevy V8 @ bellhousing)

If anyone is assuming I am an idiot, please do not respond.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:43 AM

I am sorry for being an a$$, but this is the second time this morning where it felt to me like the obvious was being overstated to the point of being demeaning.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:57 AM

Let me totally get away from the idea of having been able to do a SBC/BBC swap into an X308 as it is a past-tense done-and-over idea. The car is gone anyway and if even possible it would be a pain and a waste. I always understood this.

As for the X300, its my understanding these motors dont need swapping, so no discussion needed there. Non-ECU transmissions would be simpler receptacles of the donor motor anyway, so we will exclude X300 models as even possible.

Now none of us have to discuss electrical systems.

Assuming the answer to my question is not simply "no," there are Jaguars with fully mechanical transmissions that Chevrolet motors will bolt to...and the discussion begins:

Old 05-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,990 Likes on 7,217 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast71SS
Jaguar engines use Chevy V8 bellhousing patterns?....Yes/No?

No

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 126 Likes on 100 Posts

Just a story, Years back,around 1966 I had a machinist friend that did a 413 Dodge with a 727 trans in a 54 Corvette, the neat looking part was the old push button trans selector coming two feet out of the floor (ie: Rat Fink) . He also did a Packard V8 powered Jeep. I guess anything works.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,990 Likes on 7,217 Posts

I am sorry for being an a$$, but this is the second time this morning where it felt to me like the obvious was being overstated to the point of being demeaning.

Often the content and tone of replies is merely a reflection of how the questions are being asked.

Speaking for myself, but perhaps others.....

You have 4 or 5 threads going simultaneously with a mixture of commentary, direct questions, abstract questions, and (seemingly) requests for advice. It appears, in essence, that your looking for a $500 Jaguar that meets multiple different personal requirements. Or maybe not. I dunno. I'm having a hard time following. I find myself re-reading some of your postings 2-3 times in an effort to fully understand what you're asking and what form of answer you are expecting.

Try revising the style/manner/structure of your postings.

Just my 2-cents, and NOT intended as an insult or complaint towards you.

I think people are trying to help you as best they can.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 05-06-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: sp
Fast71SS (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 12:06 PM

Thank you Doug, everyone. Written text does not easily convey tone and often misrepresents it. I am sure I haven taken the comments of numerous members the wrong way and been overly defensive. For this, I apologize.

When I read about the 4L80E in your [Doug] X308 write-up, I wondered if it was the bellhousing that was different or not. I immediately thought could have, would have, should have in terms of playing around with a Chevy V8 rather than taking the last $100 for the body.

Then I thought, backup plan if the AJ16 should turn out unusable in the XJ6 should I get it.

Then I thought, if old Jags are only a few hundred dollars, I need to put a SBC in one. A pipe dream for me at this time of course, but I thought it to be an interesting topic of conversation if there was anything to it.

I had real trouble trying how to figure out what I wanted to ask about the XJ6 price, value, and reliability. As it turns out, there is no answer to my question.

In this specific circumstance; the market for this one broken down XJ6 has only two people in it, the seller and myself. The value is whatever I am willing to give him if he would accept it (increased offer of $400 pending, no response on the $300). My buying requirements are a spacious luxury sedan with modern safety equipment. My budget to start out was the $1200ish that they weaseled me into selling my 1967 Mercedes Hekfloose for. Now it is the salvage income from the XJ8 they sold me. Expected future life expectancy the biggest factor when comparing cars that are available, but I obviously do not have many to compare.

I started this as different thread because I saw this question all over the internet from Team Chevelle to other euro-car sites with various answers by application. I thought future web traffic may find useful info here. I started one thread about the price floorplan after the other went of course. Others where I though new threads were applicable. Sorry for bogging the board down.

In this case, the bellhousing (built into 1-piece housing) is specific to the Jaguar motors in the X300 (where applicable) or does the AJ16S have the Chevy V8? I am just curious at this point. Of course, nobody is loosing a AJ16S or V12 for a SBC/BBC.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:10 PM

Further, I apologize for being offensive.

FYI, I said luxury car in my buying requirements because I have to uphold appearances even if the car doesn't run. Antique Mercedes to clean XJ8 is good, but I can't very well park a rusted-out Honda in my private space by the dumpster. The neighbors will think I fell off.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:19 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

There was a time where installing a Chev V8 into an otherwise engineless Jag was fairly common and routine. Common enough that the practice got the nickname of LUMPing (Less Upkeep, More Power).

This was done on non-computerized era Jags and in parts of the world that had loose or no smog/EPA rules that would make such things illegal.

More modern Jags essentially cannot be LUMPed as the work required to get the engine to cooperate with the rest of the car or vice versa is overwhelming in terms of money and man hours. In many cases, even if the technical hurdles were overcome the vehicle could not be certified for road use anyway.

That's why the hot-rod hobby has pretty much died out.

Fast71SS (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
LUMPing (Less Upkeep, More Power)
That makes my day. Cool.

Here in Maryland, the X300 is the most modern Jaguar XJ6 generation that is allowed exemption from vehicle safety inspection and emissions testing requirements through limited-use registration options. Daily-drivers are required to comply at any age. The oldest of the X308 models should be this year becoming similarly reliable. Its an age cut-off.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
the hot-rod hobby has pretty much died out
That breaks my heart to think Canada has outlawed hot-rods. I know I must be taking this quote the wrong way though. They didnt make every part out their LUMPs or anything did they?

Old 05-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

That breaks my heart to think Canada has outlawed hot-rods.
In no way did I infer that this had anything to do with Canada nor were existing hot-rods outlawed. It's everywhere.

Again, you've got the wrong end of the stick.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:09 PM

I simply have no idea what you are talking about, not that it matters. I live in an area where people modify, including but not limited to, engine swaps of all kinds in all types of vehicles including ones with modern computer controls. There is an entire industry based around it that spans the globe. I assumed you were speaking from personal observations in your stated location. Here in Maryland, we hot-rod anything we can if we want to. We register it as a Street Rod and unlimited modifications are permitted. Hot-rodding is alive and well sir. I am glad to report that.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,225 Likes on 2,121 Posts

Just as an FYI, putting a non Jaguar engine into a Jaguar (and particularly a Chev engine) can be a very touchy subject with some Jaguar owners, enter that minefield at your own risk.

Best analogy I can come up with is would you go onto a classic muscle car forum and tell the owner of a perfect 396 Chevelle that he really needs to put a 4 cylinder Toyota engine into his car to make it more reliable? Or to the owner of a Plymouth Superbird than he should put a Ford Ecoboost in it?

Old 05-06-2017, 04:42 PM

Of course, nobody is loosing a AJ16S or V12 for a SBC/BBC.
Just to clarify my own viewpoint on this, see the above quote from me.

Your example of downgrading to an economy 4-banger and ruining an all original car is hardly comparing apples to apples here though.

I was talking about modifying a non-running salvage-price car, based on a hypothesis that is wrong about the bolt pattern allowing it. So again, quite an invalid comparison about ruining a classic Jaguar.

Besides, according to Mikey there is a global law against motor swaps or something like that.

To be clear on this: I did not come onto anybody's forum and TELL them them that they needed to do anything. If I were to suggest they swap their motor for mine though, I can assure you a faster car.

If you have a 600hp V12, raise your hand and prove me wrong. Otherwise, leave this thread as dead as it was before the last post came trolling through.

I am still curious to know if hot rods are illegal in your country? That is the only thing actively being debated here anymore, for those who can read.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:46 PM

FYI: Economy motors are swapped into Chevelles. It happens. The SS396 did not have any reliability issues to address with a motor swap, some Jaguars obviously do.

Old 05-06-2017, 04:48 PM
Old 05-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts

Apologies if you thought I wasn't answering your questions in this and other threads as directly as possible, but I did my best to interpret what you were trying to ask and provide reasonably thorough answers to the best of my knowledge.

BTW, I don't think anyone has been trolling, nor suggested you were

In the spirit of "hot rodding" a modern Jaguar, you may find the following interesting.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-xj8l-181218/

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 05-06-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Fast71SS (05-06-2017)