XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Door card woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 04:11 PM
Received 82 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Door card woes

Hi all

Leaving my house to go on my honeymoon (not even joking!!!) opened passenger door which did have a habit of catching on bottom of door card. "Pull it!!" I shouted to my bride. Door card hanging off on one screw was the result. Well lets say there was no time to lose so we "made did and mended". On my eventual return I discovered the card is hanging only from one screw towards the handle end of the door. Nearly all the plastic clips at the base and sides are broken. Trying to temporarily screw the thing up through the door handle worked whilst I closed the door but because it slightly dropped again pulling it open pulled the whole thing back off again. Very distressing!!

Seems someone has pulled the bottom out of the door panel to change a speaker (or perhaps recover their speakers as they are sh ite). Are the plastic clips standard where the screw parts can be replaced?

Thanks
Sam.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:04 PM
Received 253 Likes on 160 Posts

Don’t know if this will help. It explained how to REMOVE and REPLACE the door card. Should give an indication of what alt to be were!

The following 2 users liked this post by Cafcpete:
Don B (08-05-2019), sam1977 (08-06-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

The plastic Christmas tree clips can be found at the auto parts store

Take a sample clip with you

Old 08-05-2019, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Door card hanging up on the bottom is a telltale sign that someone has broken the clips along the bottom and not replaced them. Search here in the forum and you'll find the clip part number and some sources. THey ain't cheap, but there is no "workaround" either.

Old 08-06-2019, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the tips. Video was helpful. Here's a quick write up on how I fixed this temporarily and what I found.

First thing first was to get rid of the top panel even though this was not visibly part of the problem. Grub screw behind little cover in the "scoop" behind door handle. Wood trim is then loose. Push outwards towards outer edge of door to unhook it. This reveals two more screws. Remove. Should have been a screw where the rubber grommet is for air ducting. Remove, or in my case look at empty hole! Also further down close to hinged part of door is another screw. Remove, or again in my case look at empty hole! Lift off upper door card

This revealed the metal tab and screw that my lower panel was hanging on for dear life on. Removed this. You also need to remove a screw behind a small round cover on arm rest/handle although mine had simply pulled out the clip. Then you would pry on the clips to remove the lower panel completely. Disconnect electrics. I could see the speakers were non standard and it was whichever cack handed individual who had obviously messed the whole thing up who had installed these.

With the lower panel laid face down on the bonnet I could see I had 3 good clips left and I think 4 broken ones or missing completely. Clever little things that hook around a little "bar" in the door panel with the "xmas tree" part attached. Unfortunately my bag of assorted clips yielded nothing of the sort. However the most important and strongest "clip" is in the middle of the panel: a sturdy metal tang sticking out that slots into a white plastic retainer. Mine had come off with the door so the first thing I did was using a pair of channel lock pliers released the tangs and recover the white plastic retainer. This slots very securely into the door. I then arranged my three unbroken plastic clips as far apart as possible and as far away from that main central clip as possible. I then removed the screw and metal retainer that had pulled out from the arm rest/handle and re inserted that retainer back into the door.

Plug back in electrics and offer the panel up lining the plastic clips up (3 in my case!!) and then the all import central clip. As soon as you feel that engage the whole thing starts to already feel very solid. Replace screw in metal tab. Replace screw in arm rest/handle. Quick test closing the door revealed all was well and surprisingly solid given missing clips. Replace upper panel. Fit the two screws behind wood trim. Hook wood trim back in. Replace handle frame, grub screw and plastic cover and et voila job done.

I would now like to replace the two missing screws on the upper panel and the 4 broken clips. Searched ebay, can find nothing at all. In fact many misleading items under "X300 door panel clips" perhaps later model. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Lastly I was left extremely impressed with how well engineered this car is. I've stripped a few X Type Jags before and frankly it was never intended to be taken apart and put back together. Really plastic fantastic. X300 really well designed and solidly engineered.

Anyway hope this is helpful and I hope someone can help me in my clip search!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by sam1977:
Cafcpete (08-06-2019), SleekJag12 (08-09-2019)
Old 08-06-2019, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Have a fish:
There's this one in the how-to stickies:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-panels-52150/
This is the part number: W0133-1644025-OES
AutoParts Warehouse has 'em for less than a buck: https://www.autopartswarehouse.com/a.../w0133-1644025
I paid $3.69 ea from Amazon in 2011. Amazon now offering them for $10.10 + $14.99 shipping.

Learn to fish:
I clicked "Search this forum" sub-clicked "advanced search" and searched for keywords "Door Panel fastener" in "Threads posted by user Aholbro1"
Got 2 returns. One of them contained a link to the Amazon listing.That begat the OES Part number, and a Google search of the part number returned the AutoPartsWarehouse listing. There were others, APW was the cheapest that caught my eye in a cursory quick-scan of the returns.

Last edited by aholbro1; 08-06-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:35 PM

Thanks. It seems these parts are very easy to buy in the US but not in mainland Europe which is obviously odd for a car built in the UK!! I found for example on Walmart website but we don't have any Walmarts in Spain!! And it was about 25 dollars!!

However praise be! A new listing on ebay UK has 5 clips for sale £3 plus £7 postage to Spain. Obviously I've hit buy now so in about 2 weeks I should have a properly secured door card back to original spec!!

Part number was very helpful and i will take on board your advice about searching forum.

Old 08-07-2019, 02:35 PM

Sorry, forgot to ask. The two missing screws on the upper door panel you wouldn't happen to know the spec for these?

Old 08-07-2019, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

See if there are pics of it in the sticky thread....it's been awhile, but from my recollection, they were short, maybe 1/2" long, #8 or so sheet metal screws