XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Drivers Seat Busted

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 451 Likes on 293 Posts
Default Drivers Seat Busted

Hi.
New here and new to my 95 X300 Sov, just picked it up yesterday and need to do just a couple minor things to get it registered. one is fix/replace the drivers seat.
it is wobbly on the base and the electrics do not work.
as i am looking for a spare seat my question is this.
Is the seat out of a X308 or other jag going to fit and work?

Old 10-29-2021, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 857 Posts

308 is the same

The following users liked this post:
Spud Maat (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,012 Likes on 848 Posts

There are 2 versions for the X300

A electric seat translating position with position sensors in the seats and one electric seat translating without position sensors

This has to do with the driver side door controller having memory ( return to ) buttons as 1 , 2 , 3

I found on mine the connector on the door controller had a pin locking bar migrated loose which alolwed the electrical pins to migrate away and loose contact

When removing the lower door card there is a screw hidden on the top edge toward the back

There is a good step by step on removing the door card

While you have to door card off inspect your speaker for dry rot , there are cheap repair kits while keeping the original speakers

You may be able to just swap the lower metal framework between 2 seats and keep your original seat pan and back with it's internals that may or may not work with your door controller

These are new seat skins over the foam and not just covers over the original skins

Your interior color code is on your data plate on the driver door

I think they will mail you a color sample before they send your order

Request Free Sample (lseat.com)

I wouldn't expect the sample color to be on the best leather picked for production of the product

1995-1997 Jaguar XJ6 Custom Real Leather Seat Covers (Front) - Lseat.com

Last edited by Parker 7; 10-30-2021 at 01:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Parker 7
There are 2 versions for the X300

A electric seat translating position with position sensors in the seats and one electric seat translating without position sensors

This has to do with the driver side door controller having memory ( return to ) buttons as 1 , 2 , 3

I found on mine the connector on the door controller had a pin locking bar migrated loose which alolwed the electrical pins to migrate away and loose contact

When removing the lower door card there is a screw hidden on the top edge toward the back

There is a good step by step on removing the door card

While you have to door card off inspect your speaker for dry rot , there are cheap repair kits while keeping the original speakers

You may be able to just swap the lower metal framework between 2 seats and keep your original seat pan and back with it's internals that may or may not work with your door controller

These are new seat skins over the foam and not just covers over the original skins

Your interior color code is on your data plate on the driver door

I think they will mail you a color sample before they send your order

Request Free Sample (lseat.com)

I wouldn't expect the sample color to be on the best leather picked for production of the product

1995-1997 Jaguar XJ6 Custom Real Leather Seat Covers (Front) - Lseat.com
Some nice info there thanks.
I havn't yet taken the seat out to inspect everything.
What i do know is that the base only tilts up and down, so likely only 1 motor is working. There is no forward or back, the back rest does not tilt the headrest will not move up and down, so it is possible that is just loose wires also.
the bottom seat frame is cracked and that is why the seat wobbles and would need welding together,
There is a big tear in the leather (along with the leather overall just showing a lot of wear) and behind that tear there is a small amount of missing foam.

i was thinking it may be just easier to replace the seat.
but finding the right one in the right colour, it may be easier to repair the seat that is there.

Old 10-30-2021, 02:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,012 Likes on 848 Posts

See page 28 for a 1996 model year

RH seat relays which are probably the same as left even thou your steering column is right

You can drive the seats with a battery charger

There is the question as to which seat model has a module under the seat , I am assuming the memory model with the position sensors

Driving the seats to the desired position may be a short term solution

Last edited by Parker 7; 10-30-2021 at 02:44 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Parker 7
See page 28 for a 1996 model year

RH seat relays which are probably the same as left even thou your steering column is right

You can drive the seats with a battery charger

There is the question as to which seat model has a module under the seat , I am assuming the memory model with the position sensors

Driving the seats to the desired position may be a short term solution
Will hopefully take the seat out and look at in on the weekend.
What i have realised is that the seat base up and down on both the front and back of the seat is working,
but the slide forward and back, backrest tilt and headrest up down are not. when any of these controls are operated there is no sound of any relay clicking or motor actuating so hopefully with any luck it is the easy option of cleaning connections and reconnecting.

Old 11-13-2021, 02:54 AM
Veteran Member

so discovered today that the motors seem to be ok.
i hotwired the forward and back motor so that i can atleast adjust the seat forward and back,
i temporarily metal putty welded the broken edge of the seat frame together,

and i discovered that the seat module has been replaced with a non memory one even tho my car has memory.
i wonder if this is alone the reason the controls don't work.
guess next step is to get a seat module with memory and then go from there

The following 2 users liked this post by Spud Maat:
Mkii250 (01-28-2022), Parker 7 (11-13-2021)
Old 01-26-2022, 03:01 AM
Veteran Member

so i have had no luck with the electrics and getting the seat to function properly, maybe one day i will get a new seat/seat module.
the metal putty i used to "fix" the seat base frame before was not very strong and did not hold for long.
so i got around to a better repair today.
i got a steel reinforcing bracket,
and with a combination of screw, bolt, steel-weld epoxy i have given it a rough looking but very very solid repair that should hold up aslong as required.

Old 01-26-2022, 05:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 375 Posts

Check the switch for your forward and back issue: mine responds to a light press rather than the intuitive firmer press.
Seat backs, complete with foam are easily removed from the seat frame, and are interchangeable with passenger side seats. These were available second hand on ebay, and I now have a former passenger seat back on my drivers seat, addressing the bolster wear issue.

Old 01-26-2022, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by countyjag
Check the switch for your forward and back issue: mine responds to a light press rather than the intuitive firmer press.
Seat backs, complete with foam are easily removed from the seat frame, and are interchangeable with passenger side seats. These were available second hand on ebay, and I now have a former passenger seat back on my drivers seat, addressing the bolster wear issue.
Nope. Unfortunately not that simple. Certainly not the switch. I have tested swapping the switch packs between the front two seats and that does not resolve the issue. Its not just the forward and back not working. Its also the backrest tilt and the headrest.

Just trying to find the parts locally is being a bit of a pain atm.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:59 PM
Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

try here for new skins:

sales@lseat.com

you can get a swatch sample for cheap