XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Drivers seat movement issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Drivers seat movement issues.

So i am having problems with my drivers seat not moving properly.

i have used a battery charger to manually test each motor.
unplugged the module and used the plug there and jumped each pin.
all
motors move and work correctly.

i thought maybe it is the module.
so, i replaced the module, have now tried 3 modules in total.
when i push the switch i hear a clicking inside the module but nothing happens.
the seat will not slide forward and back,
the headrest will not move.
the seat base will tilt up and down at the front and back however.
and with one module the backrest will tilt.
but i cannot control the seat properly.

when i push the memory controls on the drivers door the steering wheels moves (as much as it can the in and out is broken)
and the mirror moves
but the seat does not move.
there is no clicking in the seat control module either.

what could be the problem?

Last edited by Spud Maat; 12-26-2022 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Ok ignore me…..
i am a complete nupty…..

did not realise that half the motors are in one fuse whilst the other half are on the other….

so now it is working.

swapping my non-memory control module for a memory module was infact the correct solution i needed.

The following users liked this post:
Parker 7 (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts

Glad you solved the problem. I had similar problems before and after trying out two module replacements it turned out to be a bad harness. Got a good used one from a breaker and problem solved.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member

ok well i mostly fixed it.
so the seat is fully functional can can fully move,
but the memory function is not working.

the auto exit feature works, the seat will slide back for exit, but it will not move forward when the car is turned back on.
there are some memory presets in place atm as when i press 1 or 2 the steering when and mirror moves, but the seat does not.
when i press the memory button on the drivers door nothing happens so i am unable to save a preset.

from my reading i can only assume this is a problem in the drivers door switch pack??

Old 12-27-2022, 06:31 AM
Received 155 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Spud Maat
ok well i mostly fixed it.
so the seat is fully functional can can fully move,
but the memory function is not working.

the auto exit feature works, the seat will slide back for exit, but it will not move forward when the car is turned back on.
there are some memory presets in place atm as when i press 1 or 2 the steering when and mirror moves, but the seat does not.
when i press the memory button on the drivers door nothing happens so i am unable to save a preset.

from my reading i can only assume this is a problem in the drivers door switch pack??
It might be the seat potentiometers being broken - i think thats a pretty common issue.
there is a guy selling 3d printed parts on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143665520960

Cafcpete (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjarnetv
It might be the seat potentiometers being broken - i think thats a pretty common issue.
there is a guy selling 3d printed parts on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143665520960
they may potentially be broken.
not sure. i would have guessed that one or two would have worked.

but it is more than that.
when i press the memory button to save a preset the red LED does not come on. and pushing the memory button and then a number does not save the number.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:46 AM
Received 155 Likes on 82 Posts

The led not turning on is one of the things that happens if the potentiometer is not working.
There is a technical bulletin on the issue

Attached Files
motorcarman (12-27-2022)
Old 12-27-2022, 03:18 PM
Received 8,209 Likes on 4,950 Posts

We were issued a few more TSBs when I worked at the dealer.

Attached Files
Old 12-27-2022, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for those tsbs.
it makes diagnosing faults much easier.

interesting that one busted potentiometer may mess up the whole system.

i have discovered this morning that i can get the memory to work for the wheel
and mirrors, the light does not
come on and there is no beep but i can save and retrieve a preset for the mirror and wheel.

so yes when i get a chance i will definitely look at those potentiometers

Old 07-01-2024, 11:00 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 1995 xj6 x300 driver seat stuck all the way back, up and reclined

I'll try to be straight to the point here, the issue in the subject happened quickly, out of the blue. I can hear clicking when trying to move the seat forward, the back rest up, and the seat cushion up/down/flat/tilted back, but as I tried to do any of these, every movement forward or up just put the seat further back, reclined, and tilted. It's stuck in this position.

Is there a fuse I should be looking for first? The fact that I'm hearing a click when I try to move forward makes me think it's not a fuse.

Is it the seat control module, the 'black box'? If it's the actual button control panel on the side of the seat where contacts need to be cleaned or the unit replaced, why would all of these issues happen at once? If it does have to be replaced (and/or the black box), can anyone point me to a link showing how to remove the seat to get to it.

My wife just got home from 6 months in the hospital after a stroke on Christmas Eve, and I don't remotely have the time to mess with this myself, and my 2 regular shops are just shrugging their shoulders and saying they have no idea about any of this and don't want to attempt anything. Any info I can forward to either of them to show them how to track this down and fix it would be appreciated. I need it fixed to make sure I have a 2nd reliable vehicle to get my wife back and forth to doctors and therapy sessions for months to come, asap.

Thank any of you as always.

EDIT: My apologies, I did find this thread explaining how to take the seat button/rocker panel out, but if someone could answer my question about why all of these issues would happen all at once, with no issues before, where pushing the switches/rockers forward or up for all functions only makes everything go in reverse, to where the seat is completely all the way back towards the rear seat, all the way reclined, and tilted all of the way up? Here's the link that's very helpful in removing the panel, but I have no idea if my issue is similar to what's going on in this thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ontrols-79341/

Last edited by skepcat67; 07-01-2024 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2024, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 986 Likes on 826 Posts

The single seat control module reverses the polarity on the same 2 wires to the motor to reverse directions

Best try first is to clean the switches or maybe swap with passenger seat switches

The control module comes in 2 versions off the top of my head

Old 07-02-2024, 09:59 AM

Thank you, that is very helpful.

I was going to ask if I take the one out of the passenger seat will the seat remain in the position I need to get my wife from the wheelchair to the seat, but even if it does she is obviously going to want to ability to adjust the seat once she's in it.

So I can have a buddy just pop the button module out and try to clean everything using the photos and guide in the link I posted above?

Also, is there just a replacement module/switches I can buy and just have him swap it out without removing the seat?

Old 07-02-2024, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 986 Likes on 826 Posts

The seat module is removable and is under the seat , you can remove the connector ( s ) to not move by her and be in a bad position on exiting

Do you have memory seats by the small round ( M ) buttons on the driver door master controller on the door ?

Old 07-03-2024, 12:22 PM

Correct, the small round M buttons, which by the way, haven't worked correctly for years. Memory positions don't save, you hit one of them that you've saved and mirrors move slightly, seat moves a bit, but none of them actually move everything to the saved positions. Common issue I'm aware.

As I mentioned, I figured if I had my buddy swap out the passenger switches or module, I assumed the seat would stay in the position (the lowest possible) to safely transfer her from chair to seat, but she is definitely going to need to then raise the seat up and have control over adjusting it for her comfort once she's in the car.

So I just need to focus on getting the drivers seat up and in a position to where I can drive without having a bunch of cushions behind me, reaching as far as I can to reach the steering wheel and the pedals haha. In fact, I would be happy if there was just a way to get my seat in my regular position and never have it move, but obviously we have to clean the contacts and get everything working to get the seat to move forward, tilt down, and the back rest up in to position, and doing that, I will be able to make further adjustments because the seat will be working lol.

So...what should I tell/show my buddy to make it easier for him to pop out the switch unit on the side of the seat, and access the module under the seat? I'm assuming that link I posted above is all he will need to get everything out and try to clean all contacts, reassemble and test it? Any tips on him being able to clean the contacts and test everything out before he actually puts everything back in place? Meaning, will he have enough "play" in the wiring to just have everything kind of hanging in place, but not screwed back into place, to make sure everything works?

Very appreciative to all of you, you guys have helped me so much during the most difficult 6 months of our lives. Parker, you especially. Many thanks. My apologies for repeat questions on threads I've started or commented on earlier, I'm doing this on the fly when I have 30 seconds to do it and I'm aware that I've been sloppy with repeated posts on existing threads, and that there are posts that I could search for to answer these questions without starting new threads or posting redundant questions to existing ones.

Taking care of someone who has had a massive, spontaneous stroke and wheelchair bound is something I would not wish on my worst enemy. But thank God my wife of 39 years, my soul mate, has finally made it home. It's truly miraculous what she has survived.

Nick

Cafcpete (07-04-2024)