XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Factory Radio vs After Market

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cstu
Bob, thanks for the links. I went to a well-known local installer and he wanted to charge me $250 to build a face plate for my XJR. ~$75 for a faceplate and harness isn't exactly cheap but it sure beats $250.
Ok, so I ordered the faceplate and harness and now the same place is getting me the harness isn't the right (c'mon...). They said that even if it was correct they will need 2-3 hours @ $125/hr. to install the stereo because they have to rewire it to hook it up to the amp.

I have a 97 XJR - anyone else had this kind of trouble replacing the stock unit or should I find a different installer?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 7,166 Posts

You are using an aftermarket radio with a facory amp? I'm not an audio expert and I don't know the details of what your installing but I *think* the OEM Alpine/HK set-up was unique in some way so the notion of some re-wiring doesn't seem far fetched. If it means running new wiring to the amp, a couple hours labor doesn't seem far fetched.

Or perhaps the issue is speaker wiring?

All the speaker wiring goes to the factory amp in the trunk. If, for your installation, that wiring needs to be brought forward into the cabin I can see a couple hours labor easily.

I'm just speculating. Someone who actually knows something will come along soon enough :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 11-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
You are using an aftermarket radio with a facory amp? I'm not an audio expert and I don't know the details of what your installing but I *think* the OEM Alpine/HK set-up was unique in some way so the notion of some re-wiring doesn't seem far fetched. If it means running new wiring to the amp, a couple hours labor doesn't seem far fetched.

Or perhaps the issue is speaker wiring?

All the speaker wiring goes to the factory amp in the trunk. If, for your installation, that wiring needs to be brought forward into the cabin I can see a couple hours labor easily.

I'm just speculating. Someone who actually knows something will come along soon enough :-)

Cheers
DD
Apparently the wiring harness I bought is for non-amplifier cars (XJ6 not XJR). I'm now looking for a wiring harness for a 97 XJR.

This is the only one I've been able to find but I'm not sure if it's legit:
Jaguar XJR 1994 - 1997 Car Radio Wiring Harness, ISO Lead - Car Hifi Radio Adapter.eu

Old 11-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,906 Likes on 7,166 Posts

Originally Posted by cstu
Apparently the wiring harness I bought is for non-amplifier cars (XJ6 not XJR). I'm now looking for a wiring harness for a 97 XJR.

This is the only one I've been able to find but I'm not sure if it's legit:
Jaguar XJR 1994 - 1997 Car Radio Wiring Harness, ISO Lead - Car Hifi Radio Adapter.eu

I don't think it'll work. I think that'll just cover power, ground, and lighting.

I recall two round multi-pin connectors in addition to the flat connector. Geeeez....as often as I've had the radio out you'd think I'd remember for sure! But there's at least *one* round connector required.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default speaking of speakers...

i just bought new pair of front door 5.25 speakers for my `97, because the R front sounded terrible, like "blown" or whatever. And the new Polk one I stuck in there sounds just as terrible! Yes, i tried the wires both ways. WTH? Do head units go bad on just one channel? Other 3 speakers sound fine?? thanks.

JB

Old 01-20-2013, 03:40 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnyb60
i just bought new pair of front door 5.25 speakers for my `97, because the R front sounded terrible, like "blown" or whatever. And the new Polk one I stuck in there sounds just as terrible! Yes, i tried the wires both ways. WTH? Do head units go bad on just one channel? Other 3 speakers sound fine?? thanks.

JB
Are you talking about the original Jaguar head unit? When I first bought mine, the sound was terrible and I replaced the speakers with Polk coincidentally. BTW I've always fitted new speakers to cars to replace the originals. The sound was just as bad. Replaced the unit with an Alpine one and all was OK.
If you're not talking about a Jag unit then I don't know what to suggest!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So - I have been following the thread and bought the wiring adapter from the UK that adapts the OEM radio harness to an ISO connector. Big problem - all the stereos I am looking at have a 16 pin connector? So now what? How have you installed a new stereo with the ISO? BTW - OEM radio tanked and would not even turn on so was looking at a Pioneer unit with Bluetooth that also can be green to match the other interior lighting.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:36 PM
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by oconpark
So - I have been following the thread and bought the wiring adapter from the UK that adapts the OEM radio harness to an ISO connector. Big problem - all the stereos I am looking at have a 16 pin connector? So now what? How have you installed a new stereo with the ISO? BTW - OEM radio tanked and would not even turn on so was looking at a Pioneer unit with Bluetooth that also can be green to match the other interior lighting.
Your head unit will come with an open ended harness (Pioneer socket on one end, bare wires on other). If you have an X300-to-something adapter, then just cut off the 'something' and make your own adapter with the Pioneer one.

As far as I know, a pre-made X300-to-Pioneer adapter does not exist.

The following users liked this post:
Papelione (04-22-2013)
Old 01-26-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Oubadah
Your head unit will come with an open ended harness (Pioneer socket on one end, bare wires on other). If you have an X300-to-something adapter, then just cut off the 'something' and make your own adapter with the Pioneer one.

As far as I know, a pre-made X300-to-Pioneer adapter does not exist.
Ok - that sounds like it will work. How do I know the functions of the wires from the Pioneer head unit? I assume they are listed in the manual. I have the Jag's functions from this forum.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:19 PM
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by oconpark
Ok - that sounds like it will work. How do I know the functions of the wires from the Pioneer head unit? I assume they are listed in the manual. I have the Jag's functions from this forum.
Yes, they will be listed in the manual, and the wires might even be tagged.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Oubadah
Yes, they will be listed in the manual, and the wires might even be tagged.
Great, thanks for the help. You saved me buying another connector - could only find them in Australia for some reason. Will post the results once I get the new unit installed.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bob5tafford
I had the clock reworked by ModuleMaster.com with a lifetime guarantee on the LCD unit, all for under $100.00. I'm sure yours radio does look good. You ought to post some pics so we all can enjoy. I'm am pleased with mine though. JVC has always been a fav of mine. Thanks for your opinion.
Thanks for the info on getting my clock reworked!

Here is mine...

Attached Thumbnails Factory Radio vs After Market-finished.jpg  
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Oubadah I need help.

Hi could anyone help me get in touch with Oubadah.
Have som dashboard lighting Q´s, I was hoping to get help with.

Best

Christian in Sweden.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Default Cd player

Hi I just wanna make sure with the harness in the link you don't need to cut any wires on your car with that rite? I really don't wanna have to cut any wires

Old 08-22-2013, 06:46 AM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagman99
Hi I just wanna make sure with the harness in the link you don't need to cut any wires on your car with that rite? I really don't wanna have to cut any wires
Hey Jagman99,

Correct, not wires have to be cut

Jagman99 (08-22-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VERY IMPORTANT: ensure you do NOT have the premium sound system.

If you do not, you'll only need the bare wire harness that came with your radio, the Autoleads harness from the links, and a crimping tool. It's easy-peasy from there on in.

haddock (01-16-2016)
Old 06-24-2020, 06:26 PM
Default Hi Bob. Where did you get the facia face plate and wire harness

Originally Posted by bob5tafford
I need to fill you guys in first about my story before I get to the meat of this Title.
When I first brought this amazing car (1997 XJ6 {X300}), I completely fell in love! She had a few issues, but she deserved to shine! I wanted to bring her back like as she rolled off the assembly line. No varying, no substitute, she had to be original. So, I hunted down part after part. When I came to the radio, I found someone on eBay, who had one that had been factory reconditioned with a year warranty; the one I had worked except that the display was out. With the ski slope bezel, I knew it would be difficult to go with an after-market one. That in itself confirmed my ideas to keep it original. I won that bid and received the radio in about a week. But I wanted to play my IPod, so I found an item (MONSTER iCruze) that allowed me to disconnect my CD Changer and use the M-Bus connector on the radio, to hook up this device to play my IPod and keep everything as original as possible. Sounds perfect, right? Wrong. Well the new radio wouldn’t recognize the iCruze interface adapter. The display shows ‘NOT CONT’. So, I installed the original one back in and it did work, but the display was still out. I contacted the guy on eBay and he gave me such a run around and finally after 3 weeks we worked out a compromise and had Alpine rework the radio. When I got it back, it would work intermittently. Sometimes the iCruze would lock up and wouldn’t turn off. This meant I had to pull the unit out again, to get to the area behind the radio so I could disconnect & reconnect it. Then the display lights started acting up…….. A guy can only take so much, so I broke down and searched the internet for an after-market radio that had all the features I was looking for but that wouldn’t look weird in my console. I found a fascia adapter in the UK with the harness adapter that meant I didn’t have to cut into the radio harness and if I should ever want it back as factory, I could do it without any problems.
I found a receiver that I think I can be happy with, A JVC Arsenal KD-A725, It has a lot features but I won’t go into all of them except a few. One that I like is it has a separated variable color display, so I can match my dash lighting, but it can also cycle through all the colors continuously for a really cool effect. It also has two USB inputs (front & rear), AUX input jack, and an Expansion port for other external components.
I had to change out the speakers also, because the front two were blown. So decided to change out the front and rear and I went with Kicker KS600. Overall it went well. I would have prefered to keep the original equipment but, it was not performing like I thought it should. so I've opt'd to change to after-market with the option to revert if need be.
Here is the final result of all my work. How does it look?
Where did you find the facia plate and harness?

Old 06-25-2020, 04:01 AM
Received 254 Likes on 161 Posts

The facia plate is available form lots of places, but I got mine here
https://incartec.co.uk/part-search?s=50-158

The harnes depends on which system you have, premium or standard.
This is the premium one,
https://incartec.co.uk/part-search?s=20-277
standard
https://incartec.co.uk/product/Jagua...Radio-ISO-lead

Last edited by Cafcpete; 06-25-2020 at 01:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cafcpete:
Scotlad (07-03-2020), V126man (06-25-2020)
Old 12-19-2021, 04:10 PM
Default Premium stereo options, keep factory or put in new head unit?

I just purchased a 96 XJR, stereo is amazing with all the tweeters and amp, even the display is fine, except for the....you guessed it, volume control button. It is wonky! I understand a wiring harness is available from the UK to switch out the head unit but I have some questions about that:

1. will that allow the original system to work properly, including the tweeters and amp?
2. Will the new/modern unit still interface with the antenna and CD player?
3. If I do refurbish the old head unit, is there and adapter that can be installed so that I can use the factory head unit and also plug into my phone? I have this on my factory Bose system in my old Acura, works great!

Thanks in advance,