XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Faulty steering lock

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 01:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Faulty steering lock

Hello!
I recently purchasesd a 97 XJ6, 3.2L automatic. Everything works flawlessly for now, except for the steering lock. My key does not unlock the steering lock all of the time, it needs some (sometimes 10+ minutes) jigglig to be performed for it to turn past the steering lock part, but everything after that works as intended.
I have tried using both of my keys, tried the usual wheel jiggle and made sure its in park, nothing seems to help with the issue. I was thinking it might be something to do with the steering lock mechanism being worn down (the locking pin getting stuck or something) and I would need to replace it. Maybe someone here has a better idea of what might be the problem and it has nothing to do with the steering lock, but something else. Either way, I could not find anything on the steering lock mechanism or its replacement in the service/owners manual.
Ive tried removing the bottom cover from the steering wheel and removing the ignition electronics part of the ignition chamber, it somewhat helps with turning the key more reliably more often than not. Turning the ignition electronics starts the car normally with no fault, the switch is not stuck or anything. Its some problem between the lock itself and the small pin turning the ignition electronics switch, so I was thinking its the steering lock, as I can not turn the key after that point. Both of my keys work flawlessly for the doors. One of them seems to be a custom made key, as it does not have the jaguar logo, so that key might not have the right credentials for access. I am not sure at which stage the key validity gets checked though.
I am very new to messing with my own cars, so bear with me. Thanks!

Old 06-13-2022, 09:53 PM
Received 1,067 Likes on 625 Posts

Have you tried lubricating the lock ?
You may have sticky tumblers etc.
Powdered graphite is the first choice for lubricating lock mechanisms.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Mac
Have you tried lubricating the lock ?
You may have sticky tumblers etc.
Powdered graphite is the first choice for lubricating lock mechanisms.
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I did try lubricating the lock using some wd-40, but without opening up the slit, as i wasnt too sure if any electronics are inside or near the mechanism. Now that i have looked at the schematics, lubricating seems very safe. Ill try powdered graphite. It did seem like there was some already inside the lock, as the wd-40 turned grey-ish.

Old 06-14-2022, 11:24 AM

No luck. Tried lubricating the lock with both a graphite spray and afterwards a silicone spray. It did seem to become slightly easier to turn it than before, but it did not solve the issue completely. Should i try taking out the lock cylinder?

Old 06-14-2022, 01:27 PM

Okay, so I did some further testing. The lubrication of the key chamber seemed to be only a part of the problem.
Now, when the ignition switch is taken off from the key chamber, the key turns pretty easily (way easier than before), if I have locked the steering wheel after I pull out the key (move the steering wheel a bit so it locks). But if I dont, its still hard to get the key to turn (???). If I do ignition separately, with like a screwdriver or something, and the key is in and all the way turned inside the chamber, then, with the car still running, take out the key, the steering wheel doesn't lock, but its still hard to get the key to turn past the "steering lock" part. This makes me think its an electronic lock, not a mechanical one. Anyone have any idea what fuses or connectors I could remove to disable the steering lock completely?
With the ignition electronic part attached to the ignition chamber, its still impossible to turn the key no matter what I do. Thing is, the key mechanism does nothing to the electronic part until it is turned past the part where it gets stuck for me, except for moving a small plastic pin up, which leads to 2 wires inside it contacting (within the electronic part of the ignition chamber), after the key is simply inserted into ignition.
Could it be that the pins don't contact properly when the electronics are attached to the key chamber, which leads to some internal check not getting passed to release something that prevents me from turning the key? It would make sense, seeing as its very random if I can turn the key or not with the electronics attached (the wires making contact at the perfect time I am turning the key or something?). Would it be wise to solder then together permanently?
Does this make sense or should I first try replacing the key chamber itself? Then if it doesn't do anything, replace the ignition electronics, as the plastics moving the pins to contact might be worn down and not do their job properly.

And yes, only with the "original looking key" inside the ignition (so its close to the transponder receiver ring) I can bypass moving the key at all and turn on the car by turning the ignition switch, the steering is still locked if I don't turn the key.

for reference, this is the "electronic part" I'm referring to - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400991279...sAAOSw9EZZjKNd
and judjung by this listings pictures (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185393220...MAAOSwBUViX8xu), there is some extra mechanisms inside the "steering lock" part of the chamber that actually move the pin that is connected to the ignition electronics.
PS - If I simply bought this set above and brought it to a locksmith, then programmed the new key fob, would that be enough for the transponder to be recognised and the ignition switch to work properly, or some deeper level reprogramming would need to be done?

Last edited by xj6_x300_1997; 06-14-2022 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 02:21 PM
Received 212 Likes on 112 Posts

Just a thought, but would it help to disconnect the steering column from the rack from underneath?
I know this won't solve the steering wheel lock issue, but it might help to get the car moved around..

Old 06-14-2022, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nobeel Masri
Just a thought, but would it help to disconnect the steering column from the rack from underneath?
I know this won't solve the steering wheel lock issue, but it might help to get the car moved around..
The car runs fine, I have ways to turn it on reliably. I would just prefer to do it like a normal person, by turning the key.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:48 PM

What does a keylock binder do? There are several solenoid-sounding clicks when a key turns successfully

Old 06-20-2022, 10:53 AM

Just wanted to update that it works now. The fault was a worn key barrel. I got it refurbished and cleaned, now everything works flawlessly.

The following 2 users liked this post by xj6_x300_1997:
littlelic69 (06-21-2022), watto700 (06-20-2022)