XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

That "floaty" feeling

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts
Default That "floaty" feeling

So, having just very recently passed my annual NCT/MOT, I can't imagine that there's a whole lot wrong with my car, but, I am constantly aware of what I describe as a "floaty" feeling. Not quite tramlining, but more of a "wandering" sensation, with little corrections sometimes needing on the steering, or so I imagine.
The car drives straight, with no uneven braking or pulling, but it just doesn't always seem to be fully connected with the road, if you see what I mean. I have a complete rear end overhaul in the pipeline to deal with a clunking suspension/shock and intend to replace all bushes etc, including anti roll bar etc.
Will be taking a look at the front end also, but any thoughts on any specific areas worth investigating?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

By floaty feeling do you mean, for example, going over railroad tracks at right angles causes the car to feel like the front wheels will leave the ground? Or needing to continuously saw on the steering wheel back and forth to keep it going straight?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Received 315 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by jvitez
By floaty feeling do you mean, for example, going over railroad tracks at right angles causes the car to feel like the front wheels will leave the ground? Or needing to continuously saw on the steering wheel back and forth to keep it going straight?
No great help probably, but it's a bit of both, with perhaps the emphasis on the steering. It's like as though, for such a heavy car, it feels very light on the road and not always in solid contact with the road surface. It also seems worse when started up first, but seems to settle a bit after driving for a while.

Crazy? Paranoid? Possibly, or maybe just an overactive imagination, but nothing I have experienced ever in the past with any other cars I have owned.

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

From your description it's probably a combination of worn out bushes and worn shock absorbers. That could explain both symptoms. I would check the shocks themselves, but also shock bushes and front subframe bushes. Repair/replace what's needed, then get an alignment.

For the age of our cars it's often an interplay between several worn items.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-12-2019)
Old 03-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, steering rack is only held on with two bolts, check to make sure they're snug!

Ask me how I know..

The following 2 users liked this post by imagineaudio:
Don B (02-12-2019), Paulofvfreitas (02-08-2019)
Old 10-11-2014, 05:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grab the rear wheel and pull in and out hard if there is play (loose)
You have a loose axel nut /fix it before the wheel falls off

If not that you have bad bushings in the drag braces

Old 10-13-2014, 08:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do the front and rear suspension including shocks, springs, bushings as much as you can then it will float real good fer ya...

Old 02-08-2019, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 626 Likes on 414 Posts

I can drive around shirtless in my 4.2 but cant seem to pull it off in the 5.0. Thats the biggest difference Ive noticed.

Old 02-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

i also feel the same on my 96 x300 3.2, if feeld floaty and steering feels light and has no road feel.

I guess my shocks have gone....even though they are good for MOT

Old 02-08-2019, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

If you say that it seems worse when first starting up then it could be worn power steering seals; the oil will be cold and viscous at the start and will thin out and work better once it has warmed up.
We get the same effect of the ship when we first start the steering pumps, it takes a little while for everything to warm through.
You could try some power steering additive to see if that helps.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,145 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Check the wheel alignment too, not enough camber can give that feeling.

Old 02-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Received 223 Likes on 138 Posts

I usually only get that at around 130mph and above

Old 02-11-2019, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts
Old 02-12-2019, 09:09 PM
Received 12,952 Likes on 6,470 Posts

Originally Posted by jvitez
From your description it's probably a combination of worn out bushes and worn shock absorbers. That could explain both symptoms. I would check the shocks themselves, but also shock bushes and front subframe bushes. Repair/replace what's needed, then get an alignment.

For the age of our cars it's often an interplay between several worn items.
Hi Sogood,

+1 on jvitez' suggestions.

From your description, my money would be on the front subframe rear pivot bushings, the rear subframe bushings, and possibly insufficient toe-in of your front wheels. Many of the other bushings impact steering precision, but from my own work replacing bushings these are the ones I believe impact steering most when they perish. Worn shocks can also contribute to the floaty feeling, of course.

It's not necessarily easy to determine whether the front subframe rear pivot bushes or rear subframe bushings are sagging with the car on a lift, so even a good MOT inspector might miss them. The front ones are mostly hidden by their mounting brackets. The rear subframe bushings can be checked with the car on the ground to see if the bushings are allowing the body to come into contact with the subframe. There should be a noticeable gap or the bushings have failed, and if you are hearing any differential gear noise in the passenger compartment, they have definitely failed.

Cheers,

Don

MountainMan (04-04-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:10 AM
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

I know what you mean. I'm sorry to say it might be a combination of several issues. I've just been through this process and I'm still not happy. Changed all the shocks. That made a big difference. Then changed the rear subframe bushing. Better but still not there. Changed all parts in the front suspension with a full kit from britishparts. Again, better but not perfect. An alignment helped of course but still not perfect. Even added the steering rack spacers. Made the steering more precise but it was still floating. Tried different wheels as well and still the same even though some wheels made it feel worse. Now I guess it's only the steering rack itself that is left ..

Old 02-14-2019, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Tcasmarcus
Even added the steering rack spacers. Made the steering more precise but it was still floating. Tried different wheels as well and still the same even though some wheels made it feel worse. Now I guess it's only the steering rack itself that is left ..
You can often adjust some of the play out of the steering rack. The adjusting screw is on the pinion housing. It has a hex head that I think is 17 mm, and a graduated ring. The screw preloads the rack against the pinion, reducing lash. Here's the illustration from the manual:

Make alignment marks with paint or a center punch so you know the original position of the screw. Then turn the screw clockwise one or two graduations and take a test drive. Repeat until as much play as possible has been removed. Don't adjust the screw too much at one time and take care not to overtighten it. You'll know you've gone too far if the steering wheel will not re-center when coming out of turns.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-14-2019 at 08:56 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
MountainMan (04-04-2019), SleekJag12 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:09 AM
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Don B
You can often adjust some of the play out of the steering rack. The adjusting screw is on the pinion housing. It has a hex head that I think is 17 mm, and a graduated ring. The screw preloads the rack against the pinion, reducing lash. Here's the illustration from the manual:

Make alignment marks with paint or a center punch so you know the original position of the screw. Then turn the screw clockwise one or two graduations and take a test drive. Repeat until as much play as possible has been removed. Don't adjust the screw too much at one time and take care not to overtighten it. You'll know you've gone too far if the steering wheel will not re-center when coming out of turns.

Cheers,

Don
Seriously? Never heard about this before Thanks! Can't quite envision where this pinion housing is located at the moment but I'll figure it out

Old 02-14-2019, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tcasmarcus
Seriously? Never heard about this before Thanks! Can't quite envision where this pinion housing is located at the moment but I'll figure it out
Follow the steering column down to the steering rack. The column connects to the pinion shaft. Look for the adjustment nut on a side 90 degrees to the pinion shaft. On most LHD Jag saloons it's on the rearward side of the housing but I can't remember if that's true on the X300 rack.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 02-14-2019 at 10:59 PM.
MountainMan (04-04-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 08:20 AM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Surprised no one has mentioned this.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...es-diy-134396/

I used plastic wire ties in mine as a temporary test....and they are still there a year later. Will probably machine some soon.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ric in RVA
Surprised no one has mentioned this.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...es-diy-134396/

I used plastic wire ties in mine as a temporary test....and they are still there a year later. Will probably machine some soon.
Tcasmarcus reported that he had added the "steering rack spacers" in post #15.

Cheers,

Don

MountainMan (04-04-2019)

Quick Reply: That "floaty" feeling