XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Fuel pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel pump issues

I have been perusing these forums for about a week now and I think I come across something close, but then it doesn't seem to fit my issue.

Long story, long. I have purchased a 97 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plaus with the 4.0 107k plus. I purchased the car knowing that it wasn't running and it might be the fuel pump stated by the previous owner. Even though he replaced it, according to him. As I searched the forums I got basically everything I needed to test the pump, I kinda went straight to the pump removal just to inspect everything. I bench tested the fuel pump and it worked just fine. So I reinstalled the pump. The next thing I did was test the relay and I could get it to click by bench testing it, and it would not click in the car. So I switched the relay with a similar one as stated in a previous post. No luck. I have power to the relay with the brown/yellow wire. I can jumper it and the pump will go on and I can start the car. I tested the grounds as well. So basically I'm assuming its the wires that run through the wiring harness pink/white and brown/pink (don't quote me on that but I know I'm close to the color I can affirm that later). These wires end up by the ignition or close to it in a schematic.

Here is the problem I came across as I was testing and searching for an answer. I'm not sure if this could be the issue with the pump. Even though I was told, and maybe not a Jaguar. I was told the airbag system has nothing to do with the car starting, because I can crank the car. I noticed the passenger side airbag had been deployed and he just cut the bag off and left it, explaining the light on the dash. So I checked the inertia switch and I think its okay. It doesn't look like its been in an accident and from being a novice body man I would say it has not. Is there a sensor telling the relays not to start? How do you get just the passenger side airbag to go off and not both?

Sorry lots of questions, I am in the process of ordering a new bag and dash cover for the passenger side. I have yet to attempt a hard reset but I might be inclined to do so. I would like to get it started first before I sink too much money into it. Any advice be much appreciated.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

Welcome to the forum. When you have time, please visit the new member area and introduce yourself. Link below:

New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I'm afraid I am unable to offer any suggestions, but your request seems quite detailed, so I expect others will be along shortly.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

could it be that when the air bag was deployed the fuel pump was shut down in order to prevent a fire. take a look at the fuel pump cut off switch, maybe thats why your not getting power. just reset it and give it a go. I use to activate the switch just to keep the girlfriend from taking my car. HA HA

Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

So, if I understand correctly, the car will run with the fuel pump jumpered, but you believe that the ecu will not signal the pump to run.

Your explanation does not make sense, though. The fuel pump relay is supplied power (12 v) on the white/pink wire and should measure 12 volts from there to ground any time the RH heelboard power relay is on. Power is supplied to the relay from RH heelboard fuse #10.

The ecu takes the other fuel pump relay coil wire (pink/ brown) to ground to make the pump run. So, with the car running by jumpering +12 v to the red /yellow wire, what voltage do you read to ground on the pink/brown and the white/pink wires?

As to the airbag shutting off the fuel- It sure seems like it might be possible, but I have never seen any documentation that hints at such a feature, and it would have to happen via a network connection between the airbag and ecu modules, rather than a hardwired connection. I seriously doubt they would have implemented such a function via network!

Last edited by sparkenzap; 08-06-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:17 PM

your car has a fuel cut off switch when it is in an accident to prevent it from catching on fire. it seems as the car was in an accident because the air bag was deployed. just reset the switch, its worth a try.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 PM

Where is the fuel pump shut off switch?

As to the power supply the smaller wires pink/brown white/ whatever it is, I will double check again.

Basically I get no click in the relay when turn the car on for those 2 seconds to prime the pump and when I try to start it I have no pump running. I have power to the relay (brown/ wire). Like I said before, I can jumper it and it runs and I can start the car. I have put numerous relays in that particular spot and tested them as well I know they get corroded or the spool inside sometimes gets corroded as well it I just find it hard to believe all of them would be bad. As for the air bag I also believe its not the problem, but I thought I'd ask.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:22 PM

Not the inertia switch? The one located on the passenger side front? If that's what your thinking I reset that one.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:56 PM

thats the one i was thinking, looks like you already gave it a try.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:54 PM

Sparkenzap, you are the man! It was the #10 fuse in the Rh rear kick panel. I swear, I checked all those fuses that were involved with the pump. Shame on me for not double checking. That is usually my quote "Its usually something simple." What a relief. Thanks a bunch.

I'll be back to the forum I'm sure. I'm currently in the process of figuring out whats wrong with the driver seat control module I better double check those fuses as well.

I'm still currently waiting for my parts for the air bag, then I'll deal with the fog lamps not functioning.

Again, Thanks