XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

fuel tank implode?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 10:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey I guess My car will be the third on this thread. Just discovered it. I too just replaced the rochester valve, a few hundred miles ago. I hope I didn't install it backwards, I wonder how many miles till implosion with a backward installed rochester valve? I t has been roughly a tank or two of gasoline, and I just noticed the cover lifting about 40 or 50 miles ago.

My tank has imploded. its so crinkled, that the top of the tank is visible, and tipping toward the back, the straps are both loose, and there are a few sharp creases.
I did smell something electrical as as the car was giving her last few gasps. maybe it WAS the fuel pump or some other wire shorting out as it got stretched.
I will investigate further...

Old 06-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

For those that have recently replaced rochester valve, did you use the AC Delco generic GM one that is said to have worked or did you find OEM? And those that installed backwards, any pictures of correct install or best way to make sure you have done it right? I need to do mine and am now quite apprehensive about installing it backwards and imploding my tank.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 PM

I used the generic.
But it looked exactly the same, and I really don't think that it is on backwards. The positioning of the hose connections makes it so that there is really only one way to put it on...doesn't it?

Old 06-24-2014, 11:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wintookit wizard
I used the generic.
But it looked exactly the same, and I really don't think that it is on backwards. The positioning of the hose connections makes it so that there is really only one way to put it on...doesn't it?
It's my understanding from reading other posts that the connectors look exactly the same but are swapped somehow, hence the need for a modified hose to reach. Something akin to the one that normally would be facing rearward towards the tank that would get connected to the tank obviously is now flipped to the other end where there are two connections facing the other way. So you have to extend a hose or two somehow. I've yet to dive into this project but once I do i'll get some pictures to show what I encounter.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:15 AM

OH, thats just fantastic. It looks the same, but Is backward internally? wow, sure wish I had known that one.
can you send links to this info? or is it too obscure to find?
SO>>> a word of caution to anyone thinking about changing the Rochester valve should install it with extra hoses and make sure that you go against common sense and intuition, and install it backwards.
A sad day...

Old 06-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

I recently read the problems that a few members have had with the ac delco rochester vallve causing their fuel tanks to implode. I have not had this problem and removed my rochester valve in order to take a look at the orientation because I may have installed it backwards as some members have done. I found that the valve was clearly marked with VAC, TANK and CAN, on its connections and my tank was fine as I just connected each hose to its proper location. Sorry that some members ran into problems, maybe there new valves were not clearly marked.