XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Garage mate

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Garage mate

I had a '91 Saab 900 turbo convertible, red body, black top, gray leather interior. Installed a front-mount intercooler, upgraded Saab "twisted" 3-spoke wheels, 2.5" exhaust, etc. Drove it back to CA in early Aug, and my youngest daughter, who's a senior in high school, totaled it in an accident about a month later. She's fine, but the car's a goner, and finally settled with the insurance company for $3300.

So after looking around on Craig's List, cars.com, and eBay, I finally got a garage mate for my Jag. It's my first car purchase off eBay, and I picked it up today in the Washington, DC area (Falls Church). It's a 1986 Mercedes 420 SEL (1-owner, non-smoker, clean vehicle history), 100K miles, kind of a silvery color on the outside, dark brown leather on the inside. Drove it for 4+ hours back to Norfolk, and it drove great. Quiet, smooth, no warning lights, no funny noises, gauges worked like they should, etc. The radio/cassette will be replaced with an iPod capable unit, and I'll probably change the plugs, air filter, fuel filter, get an oil/filter change and tire rotation done, and see what maintenance things are due at 100K (timing chain, water pump, t-stat, belts, etc). I'll get it professionally detailed as well, which should make the paint look even better, take care of some minor scratches, and get the interior looking like a new car, especially the wood.

After I got the 420 home, I adjusted the front passenger front seat, then sat in the back. Wow, that thing's got a LOT more room than the Jag. Probably not a fair comparison, and an "L" version would be more comparable, but still, that 420 has a ton of room back there. But I still have to give the edge to the Jag as far as "elegance" goes, and having an overall "tighter" ride. The steering on the 420 feels like a truck compared to the Jag. Granted we're talking 10 years difference between the two, and the 420 will probably end up being driven twice as much as the Jag, but the Jag is definitely the nicer ride. The HVAC controls are better, the steering is better, it has a more "intimate" cabin, the abundance of real wood really adds a touch of elegance that the 420 can't match, etc. And the seats on the 420 sure feel 10 years older, like you're sitting on a recliner, with big springs underneath, versus the much firmer seats on the Jag. But hey, it's only 20 minutes to work, so I can live with that...

Here are some pics from the seller, and they're fairly representative of the overall condition of the car:

Name:  MBZ420b.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  70.3 KB
Name:  MBZ420g.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  48.1 KB
Name:  MBZ420e.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  49.2 KB
Name:  MBZ420f.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  43.4 KB
Name:  MBZ420c.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  63.3 KB
Name:  MBZ420d.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  66.6 KB
Name:  MBZ420h.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  65.6 KB

Last edited by socal1200r; 10-16-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:04 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Looks to be in solid and sound condition. Sadly I have to admit it will probably still be going strong long after the XJ6.

Graham

Old 10-17-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Looks to be in solid and sound condition. Sadly I have to admit it will probably still be going strong long after the XJ6.

Graham
That's a distinct possibility...but when I think about things like which car SHOULD be easier to do major maintenance on (timing chain, intake, exhaust, head gaskets, etc), the Jag SHOULD win hands-down. When I look at both engines, that big straight 6 in the Jag SHOULD be a LOT easier to work on than the V8 in the MBZ. However, one rarely hears of Jags hitting the 500K mark, so I'll take that for what it's worth. If I still have the Jag and the engine finally gives out, a small-block V8 swap might be in its future. And if I still have the MBZ at that time, I'm sure it'll just be chugging along...

Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Very nice. I quite fancy an old Merc V8 at some point, but for me it would have to be instead of the Jag so I can't see it happening any time soon!

The other car in my garage (also a red convertible!) is a nice contrast from the comfort of the Jag - despite lots of similarities: Front engine, RWD, 3 and a bit litre straight six, 4 headlights, 2 exhausts, chrome grill & bumpers... Oh, and they're both red with beige-ish leather!

Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,876 Likes on 7,153 Posts

My uderstanding is that those 80s vintage MBs were the last of the "greats". Solid engineering, solid build quality, solid materials.

Keep us posted on repairs and servicing. Seems to me that parts can be wayyyy more expensive than on our Jags but I've never truly researched that to any great length.

Cheers
DD

Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Nice pick up Socal. Course I'm a sucker for older cars. I'd like to get a mid 80s Alfa Spider as a garage mate for my XJ6

Old 10-17-2012, 09:25 PM

This was interesting. There's a couple of MBZ dealers in the area, and I emailed both of them, asking what a 100K service would cost, parts and labor. Heard back from one of them, and their estimate was $860. However, their service manager suggested bringing the car in for a 7500 mile service instead, to get a baseline, and they'd go from there. That service cost $212, but it seemed like it was nothing more than a glorified oil and filter change. It also included a tire balance/rotation, fluid check/top off, brake check, 27-point inspection, etc. But, since I have to get the car to pass a Virginia safety inspection, they'll check a lot of that stuff anyway for $18. I can get an oil/filter change and tire rotation done for less than $30, so I'm going to leave the big stuff (timing chain, water pump, etc) for the MBZ dealer or an indy shop. I'm going to change the sparkplugs and air filter myself, and if it's not too difficult, the fuel filter too. I might even be able to do the belts, I'll have to take a look-see.

I figure any money I can save by doing a lot of these things myself, I can put towards some new tires, maybe some new wheels off Craig's List, and replacing the stock radio/cassete unit. The stock tires are 205/65-15 on some plain Jane stock wheels, so I'm thinking of either going with 225/60-15 tires, or getting some later model 16" MBZ wheels and 225/55 tires. No chrome wheels, regular alloys will do.

Drove it again for a few miles tonight, to get some new wiper blades and sun shades. Still think the Jag has a tighter, more sporty feel to it, and more elegant interior as well. But there's something about driving that big old 80's vintage S-class V8 that just can't be duplicated in the Jag, lol! It's even a different drive compared to my wife's '92 MBZ 400SE. Guess that 420 SEL really is a "classic", in more ways than one!

Old 10-18-2012, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

That's a solid MB and I know people can still go crazy about W126s lol
It looks like a decent car from your description and the pictures suggest

Old 10-20-2012, 04:03 PM

Took the 420 SEL to a local Firestone place on Thu to get an inspection done, and she passed. Only thing that came close to failing were the rear brakes. $85 labor cost from them for rear brakes seemed pretty reasonable, but pads ($50) and new rotors ($125) seemed a bit high. Found some Duralast pads ($14) and rotors ($54) thru the local parts store, so I may just order those and have them install them, since their labor charge seemed reasonable to me. Will try to get that done in the next week or two.

They also recommended a tuneup, which would include a new air filter ($43), sparkplugs ($120 parts + $125 labor), plug wires ($87 parts + $175 labor); front shocks ($155 parts + $145 labor), rear shocks ($155 parts + $175 labor); and a few other assorted cats and dogs. I was planning on doing the air filter, plugs, wires, and fuel filter myself anyway. I can get some KYB gas-adjust shocks for less money, so again, maybe just have them install my parts.

So today (Sat), I just finished changing the air filter, plugs, and wires. Total cost for parts was about $135, maybe two hours of my time going at a leisurely pace. I figured I just saved myself $400 doing this myself, so I'm going to take that money and get an AmFm iPod head unit installed this week.

Aahhhh....the fun of wrenching on a car that you can actually work on!

Old 10-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

They call that tuneup? I'd just call it a proper service! Anyway, good thinking mate, save dosh by doing it yourself! That's the way to do it! You could probably get brakes done yourself easily as well Shouldn't be that difficult on old Merc

Old 10-26-2012, 02:59 PM

Got the rear pads, rear rotors, and fuel filter installed. Also got a new set of tires and alignment done. All that lightened my wallet by about $800. Also got a new Kenwood AmFm iPod head unit installed, which set me back $200. Last thing I'm waiting on is an eBay auction for a set of stock 15x6.5 alloys, later model style (like on my wife's 400SE), which will make the car look a LOT better. If I win (auction ends 10/26), that will be around $260 including shipping, plus maybe another $80 to get the new tires swapped and re-balanced (weights on the back this time!).

I do like driving this 420SEL, but after driving it for a few days, then hopping inside the XJ, it's like night and day! The 420 drives and handles like a truck, the XJ is MUCH more sporty. The seats in the 420 feels like you're sitting on a Lazy Boy recliner, the XJ's cradle you in that stiffer British leather. The 420's interior comes across as being very functional, whereas the XJ's is much more elegant. I'll probably get the 420 professionally detailed here soon, after I get the new wheels, and she'll be pretty much done. It'll be the daily driver, with the XJ only coming out on those dry, sunny days. Now if only the paint job on the XJ was as nice as the one on the 420, and the selection of stock and aftermarket wheels was extensive as the 420!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 PM

Won the auction for my replacement MBZ wheels. I was the only one who put in a bid, so I got them for $175 plus $80 shipping:

Name:  MBZwheels420SEL_sm.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  43.3 KB

These wheels are 15x6.5, and I think the stock ones are 15x6, maybe 6.5, guess I'll find out after I get them and swap the tires. The ones on there now are in a lot worse shape than these, and they're the plain vanilla looking wheels from way back when. So these should dress it up quite nicely, without having spent a whole lot of money. And I'm sticking with 15's, because I just bought a new set of replacement tires the other day. Plus, this 420 SEL is definitely built more for comfort than high-speed canyon carving, so the 15's will do for now. If I remember, I'll try and take some "before and after" pics...

Old 10-27-2012, 03:44 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My brother owns a 2006 Chrysler 300 Special Touring edition. My dad and I agree the 1996 VDP is a way better overall ride, my car is also a little faster too. The VDP feels heavy but very smooth compared to his ride. The interior on the x300 is very clean and warm feeling compared to the bland black/grey plastic pieces in his car. Sorry for venting lol

Socal, you should dip those rims in chrome! It be a nice touch. I've been toying with the idea of getting my rain gutter above the hood sprayed or dipped in chrome also.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:05 PM

Nah, I'm not a fan of chrome. I've found that no matter what, chrome will discolor, flake, and turn to crap after a few years, unless you spend an ungodly amount of time and money in keeping them clean. My wife's '92 400SE has wheels just like these, but in 16" and chromed, and the chrome in the slots have all flaked off. I ended up scraping the slots with a wire brush and painting them black. Looks okay for now, but the next set of wheels on her car are going to be stock 16" MBZ wheels, painted silver or polished, not chromed.

Looks like the seller of these wheels shipped them today, so hopefully I'll get them and be able to swap the new tires over by next weekend. I had to move both the MBZ and Jag to a parking garage because of this Hurricane Sandy storm that's supposed to hit the east coast. The Navy here in Norfolk has repositioned their ships, and I'm sure the Air Force up at Langley and the Navy out at Oceana has repositioned their jets. So I moved the cars to a big parking structure, parked them in some interior spaces, away from the exterior walls, so they should be able to ride out the storm without getting damaged.

Once I get the wheels swapped, I'll post pics. Again, driving both cars to the parking structure further reinforces how different they are. The MBZ would be the car to take on long road trips with passengers, it's got more room, somewhat more comfortable seats, and at least the new radio with iPod hookup works great. The Jag, on the other hand, would be great for those short jaunts around town, on curvy roads, etc. If I had to keep just one, it would be a VERY difficult choice!

Old 10-30-2012, 07:37 PM

Taking the XJ6 in tomorrow morning to an indy shop, to have them look at a couple of things. The car shifts hard when going into 4th, and makes this clunking noise from the back like I'm carrying around a bunch of 2x4's in the trunk. I'm thinking it could be a driveshaft bushing or something along those lines, and maybe some shock or subframe bushings in the back? Guess I'll find out soon enough.

So while the Jag's in the shop, I get to put more miles on the MBZ. But, now I'm noticing this slight burning smell when I put the blower motor on. Wasn't there before I had the new stereo installed, so maybe it's not a coincidence. Man, if it's not one thing, it's another! But every time I drive these two cars, I can't get over how different they are. It's not different shades of gray, it's black and white, lol!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 PM

'Course on my way to the shop this morning, the trans is shifting fine, even when I'm shifting with the J-gate, lol! The shop calls me a few hours later, and says they couldn't duplicate the hard-shifting problem, but they did recommend replacing the shock bushings, rear transmission mount, and upper radiator mount. Estimate on that was around $850 parts and labor, which I know is mostly labor, so I'm taking it back next week for them to do those repairs. My hope is that clunking sound I've been hearing will be gone, and I'll enjoy driving the XJ even more than I do now.

Did figure out what the burning smell was on the MBZ. There was some slight oil spray up on the right inside valve cover, not sure if it was coming from the valve cover cap or what. I'll have to keep the car running and look with a flashlight, and see if there's any mist or spray that I can see. I did get the oil and filter changed last week, so maybe they slightly overfilled it? I'll check the dipstick before I drive it next time, and go from there.

This indy shop works on MBZ's too, but '86 is a little bit older than their mechanics have been trained to work on, lol! '95 and newer is about what they work on, but they did recommend a couple of other places that specialize in European cars, and one that does nothing but MBZs.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Friend of mine took the MBZ yesterday (Fri) to the tire shop where I got the new tires, in order to swap the wheels. Ran into two problems. One, the wheel bolts on the stock rims won't work on the newer rims (odd design, and not enough threads on the back). Two, the center hub section isn't as deep as the stock wheels, and the front grease cap was pushing out the center cap on the new rims.

So this morning (Sat) I parked the MBZ in the garage, jacked up the left front, and took the left front wheel off. I put the newer wheel on, and sure enough, the center cap popped off. The grease cap pushes out by about 1/4", so I decided to look at getting some wheel spacers front and back that were at least 1/4" thick. Also was going to get some new wheel bolts that had at least twice as much threaded length as the stock ones.

After looking at three different auto parts stores, I found what I needed at a local tire/wheel place. They had buckets of wheel bolts and lug nuts in the back, along with wheel spacers, so I got 20 new wheel bolts (12x1.5x55mm threaded length) and 4 wheel spacers (5/16"). I plan on taking the car in tomorrow (Sun) and getting the tires swapped over, and with the spacers and new wheel bolts, they should have everything they need to do it. If the front center caps still look like they're pushing out just a tad, I know a couple of raps on that grease cap with a ball peen hammer should flatten it enough to keep those caps on!

Old 11-05-2012, 03:28 PM

As promised, here are the "before and after" pics:

BEFORE
Name:  DSCN1246s.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  39.1 KB

AFTER
Name:  DSCN1248s.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  39.1 KB

BEFORE
Name:  DSCN1247s.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  57.7 KB

AFTER
Name:  DSCN1249s.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  58.2 KB

My wife's '92 400SE has these same wheels, but in 16" and chrome, but the chrome has pretty much flaked away in the "scallop" part of the wheel. Next wheels on her car will be MBZ wheels, either factory painted or polished.

Too bad it's not this easy to "upgrade" the wheels on our X300s!