XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Gearshift J Gate Facia

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 11:15 AM
Z55
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Gearshift J Gate Facia

Good day Gents,

Had to take my car back in for a snapped upper transmission Bell House bolt (to engine block).

Shop snapped it but didn't tell me at the time .., long story!

Left the car there for 8 days and got it back today .., I noticed that the workshop for some reason I am not aware of removed and or tried to remove the J Gate Facia. Now the top left (plastic) are damaged (3 small chips). See pictures of the facia (not mine).

So my question is have anyone tried to remove the facia? is it easy or are there some trick to it? and does anyone possibly have one lying around that don't mind parting with it? I am willing to pay postage .., and will be extremely grateful!

I cant seem to find any locally but see that there is “used parts” supplier in England that have a few on hand. It does cost quite a bit when shipping, taxes & duties are included.

Any advice and or help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,004 Likes on 680 Posts

It is only difficult because it is tedious. There are some small hard to reach screws which might fall in and the plastic trim pieces are fragile. On reassembly you have to get things to fit just right so that you have the gear indicators lit properly and the trim pieces fit well. That fascia is held in place by 3 small screws going in from underneath.

I had mine apart earlier this year to make a small adjustment to the shifter cable. The gear indicators were not exactly right due to a slight difference in the cable position after my transmission removal/rebuild. I also wanted to see if I could make the holes for the bulbs bigger so the digits would light up brighter. I abandoned that idea, but while I was reinstalling I used a candle and a file to bend and shape the outer black trim ring claws so they would clip into the wood panel and not allow it to pop up. I had this all apart for the new head unit last year too. I'm glad to be done with it and it all works as it should now!

It might be hard to find that fascia piece alone, it is usually a part of an entire used shifter assembly. Maybe you can find just the upper assembly as in my photo.

The following 2 users liked this post by SleekJag12:
Parker 7 (09-21-2023), Z55 (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 452 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
It is only difficult because it is tedious. There are some small hard to reach screws which might fall in and the plastic trim pieces are fragile. On reassembly you have to get things to fit just right so that you have the gear indicators lit properly and the trim pieces fit well. That fascia is held in place by 3 small screws going in from underneath.

I had mine apart earlier this year to make a small adjustment to the shifter cable. The gear indicators were not exactly right due to a slight difference in the cable position after my transmission removal/rebuild. I also wanted to see if I could make the holes for the bulbs bigger so the digits would light up brighter. I abandoned that idea, but while I was reinstalling I used a candle and a file to bend and shape the outer black trim ring claws so they would clip into the wood panel and not allow it to pop up. I had this all apart for the new head unit last year too. I'm glad to be done with it and it all works as it should now!

It might be hard to find that fascia piece alone, it is usually a part of an entire used shifter assembly. Maybe you can find just the upper assembly as in my photo.

i had mine apart at some point with the thought of trying to make the letters brighter as you can't see them in the day, i was going to piggy back a birgther LED onto them but it did not illuminate.
i never tested the voltage but i guess the LEDs there are really low voltage.

The following users liked this post:
Parker 7 (09-21-2023)
Old 09-21-2023, 10:05 AM
Z55
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks a lot SleekJag12, much appreciated.
Will definately come in handy when I'll be doing it!
Found a few available options ..,
Yip you are right about the "faint" bulbs especially in bright daylight ..,