XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Got bored today. Now I have no headliner

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got bored today. Now I have no headliner

Don't know where to post or where the daily discussion threads are but I attempted to fix my sunroof today and got no where. I'm not worried about it right now honestly just had time to kill. Figured we could all have a laugh at my headliner fabric completely coming off the board and now I have a "hot boi" Jag with no headliner I'm considering this the first of many sketchy mods I'll embark on. So any one have recommendation for a good spray adhesive so I can go custom headliner in the future?

Old 02-25-2020, 06:59 PM
Received 8,079 Likes on 4,873 Posts

You need to use 3mm or 1/8" thick foam headliner or the sliding roof will not work properly.
The thick headliner material will bind the sliding roof panels.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 996 Likes on 676 Posts

Consider going with a black headliner. Sounds odd at first, but my old Vanden Plas had it, along with black floor mats and tinted windows. Surprisingly, I liked it! It'll help the Hot Jag Boi image too.

I also liked the way the headliner completely covered the broken-down sunroof like it was not even there!

Old 02-26-2020, 09:53 PM
Received 12,944 Likes on 6,468 Posts

Originally Posted by PunkLegacy
Don't know where to post or where the daily discussion threads are but I attempted to fix my sunroof today and got no where. I'm not worried about it right now honestly just had time to kill. Figured we could all have a laugh at my headliner fabric completely coming off the board and now I have a "hot boi" Jag with no headliner I'm considering this the first of many sketchy mods I'll embark on. So any one have recommendation for a good spray adhesive so I can go custom headliner in the future?
Hi PunkLegacy,

JoAnn fabric stores carry headliner fabric in tan and gray and it is affordably priced, but it is about 1/4 inch thick, and as Bob mentioned, that thickness will cause your sunroof to bind. I have had trouble finding thinner headliner fabric, so the solution I've used is to find a thinner knit or faux suede fabric that matches the color of the headliner fabric and use the thinner fabric on the sunroof.

I have purchased a lot of headliner fabric, faux suede and vinyl from yourautotrim.com. Their website is primitive, but I like their selection, the quality of their products, and their prices (typical disclaimers, no affiliation, etc.). They offer inexpensive sampler boards that make it easy to choose a color close to your original headliner or something dramatically different as SleekJag12 suggests. Most recently I did the headliner in an S-Type R and was able to purchase fabric from yourautotrim that was very close in color and texture to that of the original fabric, plus a faux suede fabric in the same color that I used on the sunroof panel. BTW, if you think this job is tough on an X300, try getting the fabric to lay smoothly and remain adhered in the deep grab handle depressions in an S-Type headliner. It's by far the curviest headliner I've ever done.

In terms of adhesive, the most important specifications are temperature rating and safe for use on foam headliner boards. Spray adhesives designed for headliners have higher temp ratings than standard products. 3M and Permatex make adhesives specifically for headliners and I have used both and highly recommend them. The more common adhesives like 3M 77 are only rated to around 43C/110F, and the Florida sun can easily heat the roof of your car to well in excess of that. The specialty headliner adhesives are rated to 77C/170F, and are formulated with fast-drying solvents that will not dissolve foam headliner boards. You can see the specs of various 3M products in the document at this link:

3M Spray Adhesives

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 03-03-2020 at 09:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
motorcarman (02-27-2020), SleekJag12 (02-27-2020)