XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Harmonic balancer delaminated...Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harmonic balancer delaminated...Help!

My balancer has come delaminated. Rattling real bad and outer ring slipping,and slipping progressively worse causing alternator output to be low at idle. Need advice please.
1. Are they available after market or dealer/n.o.s. I know they're nla. I have a wtb ad in the marketplace. I also just found out they can be rebuilt.
2. How to lock motor for crank bolt removal. Also breaker bar and sissy pole or impact gun?
This car is my daily driver with right at 200,000 miles,it's been very good to me and I would love to return the favor and push her to a quarter million miles. Anything else I might need to know as I'm 59 y.o. and lost my garage and working outside and I work an average 11-12 hour day,and as I can't afford an F type I guess it's me and the tools(in the winter,the only time this car ever needs work).
thanks in advance,ramble switch deactivated.
Artie C.
p.s. oops forgot. It's a 1995 xj6 with the 4.0 liter

Last edited by Artie C; 12-07-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 996 Likes on 676 Posts

Hello Artie,

Do a search in this forum and you will get hundreds of results. All of these cars need the balancer rebuilt eventually. Amazing yours lasted to 200k!

It is very unlikely that you would find another balancer out there, good or bad. Plan on rebuilding your own. Dale Manufacturing in Oregon is a good place to consider.

In a nutshell:
Defuel by pulling the fuel pump relay while running. Get a 1&5/16" six point socket on a 1/2" breaker bar, braced on the frame. Then half-to-one-second kicks of the starter will release the big bolt. For installing, the flywheel can be jammed from underneath to hold the crank steady while tightening.

Others have used an impact wrench and that is a good option too. You can do this job without removing the radiator.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:15 AM
Default Thanks Sleek Jag 12

Thanks for the response Sleek Jag. Looked on Dale manufacturing website,they're closed every 3rd month and December is one of them
"look at me go"

Old 12-08-2018, 08:23 AM
Received 8,110 Likes on 4,895 Posts

DAMPER DOCTOR is another alternative.

bob

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Best of luck to you, Artie. I don't envy you doing this one outside in Baltimore...in winter! IIRC, Dale is a bit cheaper but Damper Doctor is open year round. You can count on the Doc having it 3 days - one to receive it in, one to refurbish, and one more to ship it out. So likely a full week of downtime by the time you ship it out and receive it back.

I'm apparently the only guy on the forum that the starter-trick didn't work for dis-assembly. As such, I highly recommend the impact-wrench approach, particularly for the re-assembly! Here's the whole sad removal saga: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roject-100618/
If you go this route, make sure you get the short socket, not the deepwell.

This may be of some help on re-assembly: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...74/#post802973

motorcarman (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 02:58 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

There's a couple brand new options on eBay but They are $289.99 so about 2x the cost of having yours rebuilt. Just search "damper pulley" or "harmonic balancer" in a search set to match your vehicle info.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:30 AM
Veteran Member

I see that listing 96, sold as "new", no core needed either! Looks like someone finally noticed the need in the market and was able to produce. A bit late though. Wonder how well its made? Time will tell. Dale's has a lifetime warranty.

Holbro.......

You must have done all three by now... did you man-up and finally use the sissy pole? Or did the impact wrench spoil you?

No doubt the impact wrench will tighten it up in a quick hurry!

I remember the Doctor painted the inside mounting surface on mine too, even after I asked them not to (after seeing your post back then). Oh well, not a big deal.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:02 AM
Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

Do the same year V12's (6Litre) suffer this too?

Old 12-09-2018, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Holbro.......

You must have done all three by now... did you man-up and finally use the sissy pole? Or did the impact wrench spoil you?

No doubt the impact wrench will tighten it up in a quick hurry!

I remember the Doctor painted the inside mounting surface on mine too, even after I asked them not to (after seeing your post back then). Oh well, not a big deal.
Only two complete R&R's thus far, Richard...and only one rebuild. Bob had a customer with one that sounded horrendously bad, it was her only car, only way to work...and I don't recall...she may've been elderly, as well. Anyway, knowing I can't drive them all at once...he requested to borrow one (a damper, not a car) while hers was away for rebuilding.

The one we call "Spruce Bruce" was out on the gravel with no battery installed. So yeah, impact wrench for sure on that one, too! Actually impressed that even I, known far and wide for slow-wrenching, had it off and on the way to Bob's within a half-hour! To be fair, I took some shortcuts - Having stock in drive belts on-hand from a wholesaler closeout at Rock Auto, I just cut those. Additionally, with a coolant leak and a known lack of refrigerant in the a/c system, I quickly detached the Radiator and a/c condenser attachments and pulled those out of the way. Didn't need to do that to get at the crank nut with the impact wrench and short socket, but it sure cut down on the time required to install the puller to the two threaded holes in the pulley...because I could actually SEE THEM!

We marked it and the damper checked good, so when I got it back from Bob, inside 2 weeks later, it was ready for installation. Naturally....it was nearly a year before I got round to it..but it's on there now, and I've pulled the car round and into the shop where I've taken numerous other pieces off either to repair...or to fit on one of the two runners in the stable. But I hope to eventually bring it up to daily-driver and give the 95 a rest.

The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
motorcarman (12-09-2018), SleekJag12 (12-10-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 07:35 PM
Received 8,110 Likes on 4,895 Posts

I love friends/customers with SPARE PARTS.
I even keep things in stock for aholbro1 to borrow.

bob

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
aholbro1 (12-09-2018), Don B (08-10-2019)
Old 12-09-2018, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by motorcarman
I even keep things in stock for aholbro1 to borrow.

bob
As GySgt Kerr, USMC used to put it, "No $h!t screamin' eagle!!!"
Don't know what my youngest lad would be doing for transportation at college between Thanksgiving and Christmas this year if you hadn't been carrying stock on rear wheel bearings, seals, and those ever-precious single-use nuts!

Old 12-10-2018, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robert Laughton
Do the same year V12's (6Litre) suffer this too?
Yes, they do. I did mine earlier this year while you were shopping for your XJ12!

My XJ12 balancer rebuild

It's almost the same job as the XJ6. Correction: In my post #2 I recommended a 1/2" breaker bar, but it should have read 3/4". The big sockets usually have a 3/4" drive. I'm not so sure a 1/2" drive bar would be up to the task.

That is a neat story, Holbro. What a nice favor you did for the lady. It's great to have friends in the business, right? That's what I feel like I have here too.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member

I broke a 1/2" breaker bar trying to get mine off with the starter. Even so, I'm persuaded the starter was never going to get it. Breaker bar didn't break until about the 30th hit or so. Just lifted the left front corner of the car a lot and exercised the left front shock.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

That was quite a story! Your stories always seem to be exciting and dramatic. I didn't remember that the 1/2" bar broke! The starter must have been ready to burn out too.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:23 AM
Default Thanks

I want to thank y'all for the excellent advice and apologize for my absence. Not too closely linked to my computer but learning. Will follow up when I have achieved success.
Artie C.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,186 Posts

I haven't tried this but I heard somewhere that giving the harmonic balancer a really good drink of Krazy Glue (while it's on the car) can fix the delamination ...worth a try?

Krazy Glue is only a buck a bottle at the dollar store after all ...

ok, flame away!!!

Larry

Old 12-20-2018, 01:20 AM
Veteran Member

Larry. You know better. This job is to be done once, and done right. It is no picnic to remove and reinstall the balancer. It is an important component that deserves the appropriate treatment. Why on earth would you use super glue from the dollar store?? If you are going to go thru all of this trouble, at least get yourself some 3-packs of Walgreen's super glue. I heard somewhere it is really strong stuff, and its on sale this week! Please let us know how this works out for you. After all, I also love no-cost/low-cost fixes!

Old 12-20-2018, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Rich - thanks for the tip and setting me straight ...luckily my XJ40's balancer is still stuck together -good news because the nearest Walgreens is in a foreign country.

Y'know, if my car's harmonic balancer was moving around and squealing, I wouldn't remove it to do the glue thing, I'd just stick my arm down there and squirt the stuff all over it and let it suck itself in ...if it didn't work (pretty sure it would) THEN I'd take it off and send it away. Whaddya got to lose .. $3? ($10 Canadian)

BTW - Pretty sure that the Walgreens gipe comes from the same factory as the dollar store stuff ...you know, a factory in the country that everything comes from

Larry

SleekJag12 (12-20-2018)
Old 03-11-2019, 11:52 AM
Default Finally an update.

Ok got my balancer back from Dale manf. Almost missed the cutoff for his march closing. It was snowing and hadn't removed it till feb 22nd. Any way $185,give or take and its back on. Breaker bar trick worked a treat and balancer came of easy. Put it on this past sunday,put fans back on and the belts and "IT'S ALIVE". I missed the old gal. On a scale of 1-10 i think it was about a 2na half. Getting my old but outside and under the car was about an 11!. Thanks all for the advice and encouragement.
Artie C.

SleekJag12 (03-17-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 11:57 AM
Default Also.

Oh and i miss my garage. Someone sideswiped the car while it was on the street on the ramps,and broke my drivers mirror. Will fix that when i can get my drivers door open(as per my other post on here).

Quick Reply: Harmonic balancer delaminated...Help!