XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Head's up on X300 coils

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 559 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Japthug
I made a contact with Diamond Electronics in Japan. They say they are still making the coils for X300. I am asking them where they supply the part. They might not tell me the source abroad, but at least they will provide me a wholesale company in Japan. I will keep informing when I have got an answer from them.

Thank you, thank you, thak you!!...I have been buying the Diamond coils thru Eurospare, but if you can get them directly from the source at a lower cost you will be doing a great service to everyone who owns a AJ16 engine....Please update us on this as soon as you have ANY information

The following users liked this post:
mgb4tim (10-01-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 04:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by marke
When I first bought my X300 almost 2 years ago I purchased 6 new coils to have on hand. So far I have not needed to use them. But now with my stalling issue discussed in a post a few days ago I may have to change the coils.

I bought theses:
6 Pack NEW Jaguar XJ6 X300 Ignition Coil Pack 94 97 | eBay

I thought I was getting a bargain at the time but now I'm not so sure! Has anyone had any experience with the coils from this seller? The coils come in a white box labelled YB-A247. There is no brand or any marking on the coils so I haven't a clue who made them or where
These are listed on Ebay UK and you can buy one of their 3 year warranties for an extra £18 on the UK listing. Seems good to me.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,944 Likes on 7,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
Heh heh....

Well, I have my first Lucas DMB411 coil failure. This is the type that comes in the green Lucas box and has "Lucas DMB411" markings.

Ha! What's it's been? Five months? These are no better the the Beck Arnley type.

Just for the record I should report that the Ebay seller replaced the faulty coil with no argument or difficulties at all. They sent another DMB411, as expected. I'll toss it in the boot. I'm sure I'll be needing it.

As the other DMB411s fail....and I'm pretty sure they will, just as the Beck Arnleys did.......the seller might not be so kindly

I'm sticking with my plan to NOT purchase any more new coils but, rather, just lay in a small inventory of used OEMs

Cheers
DD

Old 10-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

I made a contact with Diamond Electronics in Japan. They say they are still making the coils for X300. I am asking them where they supply the part. They might not tell me the source abroad, but at least they will provide me a wholesale company in Japan. I will keep informing when I have got an answer from them.

Any updates yet?

Cheers
DD

Old 10-12-2013, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

Any updates yet? Cheers DD
Waiting for updates too Jap

Old 10-13-2013, 04:36 AM
Received 210 Likes on 133 Posts

Hi Doug and Mark, sorry, they said they would answer this week but had no reply yet.
Tomorrow is a holiday in Japan, so I will call them on Tuesday.

BTW I now have as stocks the coils from British Parts UK which has a logo "SMPE", I think somebody wrote about it in this thread. I found they are made by Standard Motor Products Europe. Standard Motor Products and Intermotor are the brands of the same company, I have got in and sold several parts from them in Japan and they are not so bad. I have few complaint.

On the other hand I sold 6 Lucas coils to my customer and 4 of them has gone bad in half a year! I will never buy Lucas coils for X300 again.

The following 2 users liked this post by Japthug:
jvitez (10-18-2013), Spikepaga (10-13-2013)
Old 10-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Doug and Mark, sorry, they said they would answer this week but had no reply yet.
Tomorrow is a holiday in Japan, so I will call them on Tuesday.

BTW I now have as stocks the coils from British Parts UK which has a logo "SMPE", I think somebody wrote about it in this thread. I found they are made by Standard Motor Products Europe. Standard Motor Products and Intermotor are the brands of the same company, I have got in and sold several parts from them in Japan and they are not so bad. I have few complaint.

On the other hand I sold 6 Lucas coils to my customer and 4 of them has gone bad in half a year! I will never buy Lucas coils for X300 again.

Thanks for the update. I guess the jury is back on the "new" Lucas coils. Aftermarket crap boxed in green Lucas boxes.....sigh

Update us on Diamond when you find out.

Thanks!!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Thanks for the update. I guess the jury is back on the "new" Lucas coils. Aftermarket crap boxed in green Lucas boxes.....sigh

Update us on Diamond when you find out.

Thanks!!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're the same as what Beck Arnley sells and, as you say, thrown in green Lucas boxes.

Remember the days when "brand name" actually meant something and we actually knew what we were buying? The days when certain brands stood out as superior and you had confidence in them?

Cheers
DD

Old 10-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Remember the days when "brand name" actually meant something and we actually knew what we were buying? The days when certain brands stood out as superior and you had confidence in them?
That would be when 12 percent return on equity was considered a superior return.

Then the "investment bankers", aka speculators moved in and 100 percent year over year became the new 12 percent. It's tulip bulbs all over again.

You can only squeeze so much profit out of a piece of plastic and some wires. The whole thing, meaning current business practices, is a house of cards waiting for a breeze. The only nice thing to come out of it will be that bankers have no real skills to turn to in a failed economy. There were some very scared bankers in Greece when barter looked imminent.

Remember when coils sat on the firewall and were connected with sparkplug wires? One coil and it almost never failed. If it did, $20 at the parts store would fix you up with a nice upgraded one that would last until the car went to the scrap heap.

Coil packs were the next step, but since they sat in a cooler location, and could be as big as required, they too lasted the life of the vehicle.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

That was me. And interestingly enough, my XJR was back at the mechanic again, all fixed, drove it home, and it drove fine. Next day, whump whump whump when I accelerate. Take it back to the repair shop, axle hanger bearing bushing torn. And as I'm driving it back to his shop, the Check Engine Light illuminates. Arrrrrrh! Guess what? Cylinder number 6, again! The coil I installed in April was fried, so a whole 6 months of life.

Now the good news: the mechanic has a supply of coils, and the one he installed is.........a made in Japan Eurospare. Yay!!!! And he offers a one year warranty, parts included. I hope he has at least two more and then they've all been replaced.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:10 AM

ooh, so the SMPE coil want good enough... that's too bad.

I finally got answer from Diamond Electronics, they told me that TWR Japan handles their coils here in Japan. I haven't contacted with TWR Japan yet, when I figure out the price, I will post again.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 AM

By the way how much is the Eurospare coils in average?

Old 10-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Eurospare

I see 2 available from a local distributor for shy of $60 ea.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

British Parts are currently selling coils for £25 (so, $40?). I'm guessing I should avoid?

The ones I bought last year from them for £60 ish said "Made in Japan". When asked about the price reduction British Parts simply said "The parts are a direct replacement part from our supplier."

Old 01-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

"....direct replacement part..."?

That means it'll fit....and suggests nothing else.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-03-2014, 03:43 AM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Exactly.

I spoke with another supplier charging around £25, and they insist they're selling genuine Lucas items.

Which as we know, means ****.

Doesn't anyone sell the good ones anymore?

Old 01-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by theJPster
Doesn't anyone sell the good ones anymore?

That's what we're trying to find out !

It would be interesting to see what we'd get if we ordered an actual "Jaguar-boxed" coil from a dealer. I don't have enough money to experiment that way.

Or, of someone has a Jag dealer close by maybe ask if they have one "on-the-shelf" and go take a peek at it?

Cheers
DD

Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 530 Likes on 276 Posts

Hello all,

Very interesting thread. Just thought I'd let you know our OEM coils as linked below are marked with the following:

"44430036 - 1001568 - Made in Japan". The picture on our website is somewhat generic and will have it updated with a more detailed version asap.

www.sngbarratt.com/AlternativeItemDetails.aspx?id=43151348-891a-43b2-9a38-617ea71443cb

I hope this helps, if anyone has any questions regarding please do not hesitate to drop me a PM.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SNG Barratt USA
Hello all,

Very interesting thread. Just thought I'd let you know our OEM coils as linked below are marked with the following:

"44430036 - 1001568 - Made in Japan". The picture on our website is somewhat generic and will have it updated with a more detailed version asap.

www.sngbarratt.com/AlternativeItemDetails.aspx?id=43151348-891a-43b2-9a38-617ea71443cb

I hope this helps, if anyone has any questions regarding please do not hesitate to drop me a PM.

If you have a minute go to post #30 in this thread and look at the first pic.

Do your coils, by chance, have that black label? That seems to be a key distinction.

If your coils are truly from the same OEM that supplied Jaguar when these cars were being built I can just about promise you'll have plenty of takers !

I know you requested a PM but this is of interested to many people.

Cheers and thanks
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
IvysMommy (01-08-2020), SNG Barratt USA (01-03-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 530 Likes on 276 Posts

Hello,

No trouble at all. Ours does indeed have the same black sticker, all be it ours is applied straight

I don't have the ability to upload pics here unfortunately due to our server restrictions but feel free to email me and I'll send you some detailed pictures. I currently have 3 units in stock with plenty more available.

Regards

William@SngBarratt.Com

The following 2 users liked this post by SNG Barratt USA:
Doug (01-03-2014), Shelby676 (02-16-2015)

Quick Reply: Head's up on X300 coils