XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Help with security system remote

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 02:26 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Help with security system remote

I have a new to us 1997 XJ6 base that came with no remotes. I determined that it was 433 MZ and that the security antenna wires had been cut by a window tint installer. I secured a remote and repaired the break in the antenna but could not get the remote to program. I tried disconnecting the battery for an hour and checked the fuses and they all seem fine.
Today I was taking the batteries out of the remote to check them and upon reinserting and pressing a button, the locks on the car unlocked! To my amazement they suddenly seemed to be working properly for no discernable reason. Better to be lucky than smart sometimes....right?
Well, it was short lived, after lunch I went down to see what I could now do with my remote and nothing is working again. I have installed new batteries, cleaned the contacts but, tried to reprogram (lights flash) and still no response from the car.

Any ideas where I should go looking? Never mind, it started working again. I pressed the remote three times and the trunk unlocked....we will see!

Thanks in advance,
CRVOLS

Last edited by crvols; 11-08-2016 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Started working again. Pressed the remote 3 times and it unlocked. We will see.....
Old 11-10-2016, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

They can be hissy. My 95 has generally worked fine, however, on occasion - and this only happens in the car park at work, for some reason - it will be unresponsive in the afternoon when I attempt to unlock it and will have to use the key-in-door method. However, when it does this, IF I stop at the grocery on the way home, the remote will lock the doors on the 3rd press. Never the first or second, mind you, but always the 3rd. After that, it works 4.0 until it doesn't...and again that only happens when leaving work. What if I don't stop at the grocery after such an event? Well, I never lock it at home, so the next opportunity to observe its workings is the next morning when parked at work. Always works then, although frequently it requires a 2nd press to lock - 1st press locks driver's door, but then you get the "I'm not locked" tweet after a few seconds....2nd press locks the other doors and the fuel flap and it's all good.
I have thus far, not noticed any correlation between it demanding 2 presses to lock in the morning and being unresponsive in the afternoon, but I'll start keeping a sharp eye out for that.

Old 11-10-2016, 08:48 AM
Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

One of my other cars, a Ford, sometimes had trouble responding to the buttons on the key and I needed to get in using the metal key part. It appears that I was suffering from radio interference from some local source such as a local taxi signal!

Old 11-10-2016, 12:05 PM
Default I wish I could say this is encouraging! We will see.

I am not sure I can replicate your experiences and hope mine is not as finicky. I love this car but the electrics are quite complicated with all the relays, fuses and control module scattered all over the car. Right now my tilt motor seems to be out, the seats don't respond to the memory and some of my dash LCDs are not very bright. However, most everything else is in good working order so I will keep trying to solve these one at a time. Thanks for the feedback.
Originally Posted by aholbro1
They can be hissy. My 95 has generally worked fine, however, on occasion - and this only happens in the car park at work, for some reason - it will be unresponsive in the afternoon when I attempt to unlock it and will have to use the key-in-door method. However, when it does this, IF I stop at the grocery on the way home, the remote will lock the doors on the 3rd press. Never the first or second, mind you, but always the 3rd. After that, it works 4.0 until it doesn't...and again that only happens when leaving work. What if I don't stop at the grocery after such an event? Well, I never lock it at home, so the next opportunity to observe its workings is the next morning when parked at work. Always works then, although frequently it requires a 2nd press to lock - 1st press locks driver's door, but then you get the "I'm not locked" tweet after a few seconds....2nd press locks the other doors and the fuel flap and it's all good.
I have thus far, not noticed any correlation between it demanding 2 presses to lock in the morning and being unresponsive in the afternoon, but I'll start keeping a sharp eye out for that.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Received 8,147 Likes on 4,915 Posts

My suggestion would be to look for the large file download area and spend a few hours reading the TSBs that I and others have uploaded.

Most all the problems you have or are likely to encounter might be addressed in one of those publications. There are HUNDREDS of TSBs.

Also a forum search will yield vast amounts of info from hundreds of forum members with their successes and failures.

GUS should also have most (ALL?) of them on his site.

bob

Old 11-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Default Thanks for that info.

I will certainly do that as winter is finally approaching in the Southern U.S. and I will be turning to car projects. I am a long-time owner of 3 MG's and a Triumph which I maintain myself.
The problem I had with my Jag was that my key fob searches returned a lot of information on programming and frequency. But, since it didn't work at all, I could not figure out if I had resolved the problem which is why I posted it.
Shortly after I posted, it suddenly activated which confirmed my fixes were working. Now I have to see if I have an intermittent problem as others have noted and, if so, how to solve it.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

It seems as if your problem lies in your remote being the intermittent problem. I'd try getting my hands on another remote(either as a spare or possibly borrow one if you know someone with an X300) and program that and see if the problem gets solved.There could be a slight break in the circuit in your remote that sometimes loses the contact,creating your problem.