XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

help with where to post this please

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with where to post this please

Could someone kindly tell me where the best place to post the following is? I appreciate the problem is on my xj300 just thought that its not specific to that model and was hoping to get a wider audience in the hope someone has suffered the same and managed to resolve. Apologies as am new to this -

Hi again everyone been looking everywhere for advice on my predicament, even youtube but to no real avail, and on here including a search which sadly came back 'no results'..

Fatally as it turned out, i turned on the rear window switch so my eldest toddler could wave off his aunty. The window went down ok but is refusing to budge back up the swine. Of course it has been raining here pretty constant since..

Pressing the drivers switch, can hear the relay in back clicking away but no noise from the actual motor. Tried pulling the window up whilst the button is pressed but no joy, and after looking around to find out how i removed the trim and weather shield which enabled me to get my hands under the window but alas it still wont budge.

As still raining and dark, have fashioned a temporary window with a trusty black sack. From everything ive read through today it appears the motor to be at fault, but any other experiences and tips would as ever be hugely welcome. Even if for now i can get the window back closed until i can get a motor, have seen that maybe the channels are blocked and need lubing though i would expected to hear the motor trying to work.

Left with a guess-timate that the wire has snagged/broke thus preventing me from manually pushing the window back up??

On the plus side have learnt heaps about oil changes to engines and trans whilst searching on here

Thanks and virtual beers in advance..

PS. No joy from either switch drivers/rear i might add, though the drivers control switch presses properly on the 'up' setting, when pressing for 'down' there seems no click/connection if this helps..

Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts

hi, but it section of the forum is for X308.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

It seems that the motor has stopped working or something is stopping the mechanism from rising.

The only option to remove the door panel to see what is actually happening.

The following users liked this post:
bertone19 (04-12-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 03:25 PM

Am at stage where trim and panel, weathershield is off and i can get my hands under the bottom rail, bugger still wont budge. Tomorrow when weather drier hopefully, i'll remove the motor and assembly see if i can get window back up until replacement motor arrives..

Like i say apologies for posting in non-xj300 section just wanted to see if anybody else has had si,ilar problem and theirs ideas albeit on a different jag. Thanks again for replies and will report back if i find a cure others may too find useful one day.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by bertone19
Am at stage where trim and panel, weathershield is off and i can get my hands under the bottom rail, bugger still wont budge. Tomorrow when weather drier hopefully, i'll remove the motor and assembly see if i can get window back up until replacement motor arrives..

Like i say apologies for posting in non-xj300 section just wanted to see if anybody else has had si,ilar problem and theirs ideas albeit on a different jag. Thanks again for replies and will report back if i find a cure others may too find useful one day.
No apology needed, You have posted in the X300 section.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:31 AM

When you get the motor off try putting a 12v supply to it and see it works. It may only need cleaning.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Black bag hey. I have a similar problem with my DD (not Jag). Black bag makes too much noise when driving. Have replaced with a bath towel (nice and quiet)

With all doors closed, insert your key into the driver's lock and turn to the lock position, hold it at this spot for a few seconds all windows should close as the car locks.

Maybe have someone inside the car when you try this, just in case....

PS, if the window is stuck then all you will hear is a click rather than a groan.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:32 AM

Hello all just wanted to give update on this issue, makes a better forum i hope where peole get back to the kind posters who offer advice!

Whilst I'll refrain from detailing which brand of sacks fit the xj300 window the best, i can say that after prodding around, checking the runners as much as one can likewise the wiring ie ensuring they pushed on ok both ends the window went back up at the push of the driver's button

I had tried all this initially but no joy, can only think that i thought i could see very slight errosion in one of the upright channels, and by trying to rock the window left to right it must have freed it up.

So my advice for what its worth is if it happens to anyone else would be to follow the logical route listening for relays/motors etc, remove the trim as per instructions and have a good look around. With mine there was no noise at all coming from motor itself only its relay, hence my almost ordering new motor but thankfully it didn't need one. All thats left to do is put trim back on as i want to 'lube' up the rails with a silicon spray and grease what cogs etc i can see. Thanks to everyone though for assistance

Old 04-21-2013, 02:34 AM

Thanks for letting us know. Glad it was a cheap fix.