XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Hi Everyone!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:34 PM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Hi Everyone!

Greetings to you all! I've been here as a guest for several days and I think this is a great forum!!

Currently, I've been in the market for an XJR6 and it amazes me that I haven't gotten one before!!
I work on my own cars and have been for the last 15 years and have owned so many different marques in the past! I currently have a 2000 SAAB 9-5 Aero 5 speed (which is on the market to acquire my Jaguar) and I wanted a rear driver but, I want something different and beautifully understated.

The X300 chassis has what I like...a robust drive train and efficient electrical system!! I've been researching for some time and parts are priced nicely and they look pretty straightforward to work on. Members seem to very knowledgeable and friendly also.

I look forward to being a resource of info and helpful when I can and to a be part of a unique community. Oh, here are some pictures of my SAAB... Wish me luck on finding my Jag!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Hi Everyone!-img_2592.jpg   Hi Everyone!-007.jpg   Hi Everyone!-120429_240.jpg  

Last edited by JimC64; 08-24-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: big pics in post
Old 08-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome aboard...I just picked up my '95 XJ6 a few months ago, and like a Saab, they're an acquired taste! I drove my '91 Saab 900 turbo convertible from VA to CA a few weeks ago, and my daughters were thrilled to see it when I pulled into the driveway (red body, black top, gray interior). A car like that will be much more in its environment in southern California than in southeast Virginia, and my youngest daughter, who will be a high school senior this year, is already eyeballing it as her "senior" car, lol! Just noticed your "prancing moose" decals on the side, I have the same on my '91 convertible, and my kids think it's so funny!

My '91 Saab turbo convertible, with Saab "twisted" alloy wheels (before I put the decals on):
Name:  DSCN1106s.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  57.8 KB

Front-mount intercooler:
Name:  DSCN1219s.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  50.2 KB

The infamous "prancing mouse":
Name:  DSCN1217s.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  33.7 KB

Different take on the typical Saab griffon
Name:  DSCN1216s.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  36.9 KB

The first of the "Ford" Jags are a nice improvement over the Series III, without losing what Jags are known for. To me, after '97, when the venerable Jag straight 6 was no longer available here in the US, ended the "true" Jag's presence here in the States. But that's just me.

My initial impressions of my '95 though are not all that glowing, in that Jag still hasn't figured out how to make a good, long-lasting paint job. The clear coat on the roof is shot, and the hood is next to go, with LOTS of crows feet visible. My wife's '92 MBZ 400SE's paint job is in MUCH better shape at 132K miles, whereas my '95 XJ6 only has 94K miles. Also, Jag apparently hasn't quite figured out how to make a good, long-lasting sound system either, as this is another common problem that you'll see lots of comments about as well, particularly about the radio/cassette unit itself.

On the plus side though, I love driving my XJ6. It's a solid, quiet, well-mannered car, with a very elegant interior. I love the abudance of real burled wood, the leather, and plush carpeting. My wife's 400SE is a big luxury car, quite capable of hauling around us two and my two daughters in relative comfort. But to me, the Jag is more elegant, if that makes any sense. It has a smaller, more intimate cabin, but doesn't give up anything to the MBZ on luxury. I think with all the wood and better quality leather, it even one-ups the MBZ in a smaller package.

We're not wealthy by any means, we got the MBZ less than a year ago for $4100, with the insurance settlement from when my wife's '98 VW Bug was wrecked when she ran over a large rock on Pacific Coast Highway just north of Malibu. And I got my Jag for $3400 with part of my tax return this year. Two different cars, from two very storied marques, but to me, I enjoy driving the Jag more than the Benz. Be patient with your search, check Craig's List (that's where I got her Benz and my Jag), and good luck!

Last edited by socal1200r; 08-24-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:58 PM

Thank you for the welcome to the club!! I like your SAAB 'vert!! Looking really sharp and with a front mount intercooler upgrade!! Very clean!!! The prancing moose is a must for the SAAB driver lol!!!
Your Jag is beautiful, I love the color combo, very stately!! I can imagine the paint would be a tad thin maybe the factory wasn't expecting it to be so sunny here! I'm sure at some time or another, you'll get her resprayed. It may cost you less to prep her thoroughly yourself then, let a shop shoot her over. A good paint job costs a lot mostly because of preparation and you can give her lots of clear coat with the savings!!!
The stereo's yeah, I can imagine they would be acting funky at this stage. Unless there is a person who can fix them without spending a lot of money, I would remove it completely and install a modern sound system. Nothing crazy but, just something decent to entertain myself and my family. The internet has plenty of discount sites and flea markets are just as good!
Ah I see that you have a W140 Merc too...almost grabbed a '92 500 s for chump change a few years ago but, after checking out the car, there were too many electric issues due to the wiring harness made of biodegradable insulation had rotted away. I hope yours holds up and there are youtube vids that show one how to correct and make new harnesses..still a great car!!! Very roomy and a joy to drive and the factory gave them lots of paint and a good detail twice a year will keep them shiny! I've owned 4 300 e W124's and 3 560 sec W126. Great cars!!
Like you, I'm not wealthy and far from it. I just like nice cars and I keep them running to enjoy them. It makes me feel good!!! I believe the Jaguar will make it so!!!
I've been on craigslist and I stay there keeping my eyes peeled. Diligence is the only way to!!!
Hopefully, I can sell the SAAB or trade it for a Jag and I will be patient and thank you!!!

Old 08-25-2012, 08:24 AM

Couple things to be aware of when trying to do something as "simple" as a stereo upgrade. One, the factory deck will be difficult to replace and not have it look all ghetto, because of it's rather large and curved shape. Two, you'll need to get some kind of wiring harness adapter in order to run most after-market head units, and these are not readily available. Do a search in here, and there's some folks who sell the wiring harness adapters for a good price. From what I've read, seems that the culprit in most of the decks not working correctly are bad solders, so not sure if that's something that can even be fixed. In Jag's defense, these decks are made in Japan (IIRC), so it's not entirely their fault. Just surprised that a car of this quality has such crappy sound system components.

Oh, and did you know these cars have FIVE fuse boxes?! WTF, over?! But being a current Saab owner, you'll grow to appreciate the "uniqueness" of owning a Jag! And yes, I'll admit it, when I'm out driving my Jag, I do in fact feel like I'm better than everyone else, lol! Just kidding...no, not really...

Old 08-25-2012, 10:30 AM

Hmmm... yeah I saw that somewhere. I'd replace components from Ebay or someone parting their car. I'd check the wiring layout thoroughly if it comes to that. Wouldn't want to wreak havoc on the electrical system by taking short cuts!

Old 08-25-2012, 12:27 PM

Just a short story on my radio problem. The stock radio had a mind of its own, in that when it did eventually did come on, it would only play one station at one volume level, and wouldn't turn off. I found a seller on eBay who was selling a factory replacement radio, said it worked fine when he removed it, had it tested at a Jag dealer, had nothing but positive feedback, etc., so I bought it.

There's a GREAT video in here about how easy it is to remove the stock radio, and following those steps, I was able to remove the stock radio in about 15 minutes. I put the eBay radio in, turned it on, and everything seemed fine. Later that day, I noticed that the sound only seemed to be coming from the back, and isolated it to the right rear speaker. All the other functions worked, but I was only getting sound from that one speaker. So I had to make a decision - keep the eBay unit in, and only get sound from one speaker, or put the stock unit back in, hope that it comes on, and adjust the volume so that when it gets stuck, at least I'll get sound out of all the speakers. So I removed the eBay unit and put the stock one back in, and I've been driving around listening to one radio station at one volume level.

What's weird is when the AC has been running, the stock radio sometimes will all of a sudden start working like it should. I can change stations, adjust the volume, etc. But I don't change anything, at the risk of it getting stuck on a station that I don't like, at a volume level that's too low or too high, so I pretty much leave it alone.

Just one of those Jag things I've learned to live with (for now)...

Old 08-25-2012, 11:01 PM

Oh man they can be funky!! HOLY SMOKES!!!! What a lot of trouble the radios can be!!!

Old 09-07-2012, 02:44 AM

...still haven't sold my SAAB yet...sigh. If I don't move it by the end of the month, it's a wrap because everybody will be buying Christmas presents. When the New Year comes, the refunds start coming in and I'll have a better chance. It just seems to be that way :/ wish me luck!

Last edited by 4litre; 09-07-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,858 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Luck wished and fingers crossed for you.

Shifting used vehicles seems to be getting harder everywhere and the 'Christmas factor' gets earlier each year as budgets are stretched tighter.

Graham

Old 09-07-2012, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Luck wished and fingers crossed for you.

Shifting used vehicles seems to be getting harder everywhere and the 'Christmas factor' gets earlier each year as budgets are stretched tighter.

Graham
Thank you, maybe the car gods heard us and will make a way lol! Much thanks again for the encouragement!