XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

How To Change your oil and filter vanden plas 96

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Additional tips

Couple learnt the hard way!!

Be very aware the amount of oil the car will dump! Big cats will pee more than little cats! Have a drain tray that will hold at least 10 litres (more than a cat litter tray - I turned my street into a superfund site by attempting to use litter tray as ever so slightly overflowed - likely to dump between 8 and 8.5 litres)

Filter wrench always helps - can't speak for anyone else but couldn't get chain version to work so will be attempting again this week with strap wrench

New washer for sump plug! (Note to self - remember this time)

Yes, drain when at least warm if not hot - depends on access and how soon you can get out of the way

It's very doable without a lift (ramps or stands - NOT jacks - too dangerous) but much easier on a lift and you get the opportunity to see what else 'lies beneath' and there will be more needing looked at more closely

If you do get the car up on a lift (and haven't done it reasonably recently) check diff oil - easily drained and refilled (sort of - check filler first before draining as you don't want to drain and then find fill cap seized), and from personal experience it take a little over a litre to refill and that 'little' is a beggar - you haven't bought enough, and it's a nightmare to bring all the way up to required level (should be right at the 'no more, it's now coming out of fill plug' point or a hair below) - pump or syringe helps as access a nightmare. I think there's a breather at top of diff as well - pipe cleaner to clean if I remember right - but I also have a vague recollection of not being able to find damned thing)

Beyond the above, all easy (I think)

chris