XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

how to dismantle dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

The dryer is very cheap. Pretty much a standard part on many cars. Clearing the system you can do yourself. I had the AC guy discharge mine. Took it home and did all the blowing my self. Put it back together and went back to him for an evacuation and recharge. My AC charge was less than a hundred bucks.

There is a trick to installing the dryer canister. Who ever did mine before installed it backwards which is the reason the pellets got loose in the system. Hope I can explain this OK. The pellets are located in one end of the tube over about a three inch length. They are contained with a mesh screen and a cupped piece of metal with holes in it on each end of the pellets (three inch length). You must install the tube so this three inch section with the pellets is at the exit end of the tube, where the flow exits the tube. This will lock the pellets against the end of the tube and no matter how clogged the screen becomes. If it is at the entrance end and becomes clogged there is room for the screen and the cupped metal piece with holes to be pushed out of the way and away go the pellets. Hope this is understood.

Last edited by EZDriver; 07-26-2015 at 06:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (07-26-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 10:51 PM
Received 86 Likes on 22 Posts
Default A picture is worth 1000 words

You did fine, but this will show what you're talking about very clearly.

Attached Thumbnails  how to dismantle dashboard-receiver-drier.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Guillaume:
al_roethlisberger (07-27-2015), EZDriver (07-29-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Gill. But that does not show which end the pellet 3 inch section is located. You have to stick a thin rod op the end openings to feel for the pellet pack. Which end you find it in that has to be the exit.

I have my old one cut open and will show pictures as an addition to this thread as soon as I can.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

I stand corrected. I have a new dryer canister ready to be installed at my next service. It is just like the one in the picture Gillaume presented above. There is a necked ring around the canister at one end. I just checked it and that is the end where the pellets and filter screens are located. That end must be mounted as the exit end. The one that I have in my car now and the one that I removed recently when I replaced the compressor did not have that necked ring. The only way you can tell which end the pellets are in which those is to strick a rod down the end and find it that way. I got the one I have now from Rock Auto and I definitely recommend going there.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:21 AM
Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Guillaume
FANTASTIC

Old 05-07-2020, 11:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have just come across your comments on removing the dash to locate and remove the Air Cond. evaporator.
I note that you mentioned you had taken a photo compilation of the process.
I have a 1995/6 X300 which has had the Air Climate control ruined by all the small pellets being released and corrupting the system.
I managed to locate a complete 2nd hand system from Triumph/Rover spares in South Australia, but cannot find any information on actually carrying out the removal/ replacement of the existing system. 3 days spent with JRT manuals and much frustration.
I would be grateful if you still have the photos available to assist me in this project.
Many thanks

Mike Dean, Jaguar 1995 X300.3.2. (I also have a 1986 S3 XJ12 Sovereign)

Old 05-08-2020, 12:49 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Dean
I would be grateful if you still have the photos available to assist me in this project.
Many thanks

Mike,
If you click on the link in the post above (no.25) it will take you to the set of photos and description you need.

I've added a few more photos and some comments about my recent AC rebuild experiences.

Last edited by Peter RM; 05-08-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Dean
I have just come across your comments on removing the dash to locate and remove the Air Cond. evaporator.
I note that you mentioned you had taken a photo compilation of the process.
I have a 1995/6 X300 which has had the Air Climate control ruined by all the small pellets being released and corrupting the system.
I managed to locate a complete 2nd hand system from Triumph/Rover spares in South Australia, but cannot find any information on actually carrying out the removal/ replacement of the existing system. 3 days spent with JRT manuals and much frustration.
Many thanks

It is still here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...0/#post1273629
Good luck.

Old 05-08-2020, 10:48 PM
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cool
Hi need dismantle procedure for dash board in order to access evaporator box. many thanks.
Hey Mate,
Found you the technical info on the Evap removal. Can drill deeper into things if need be on other items as well, lots of access to things here.. Some of the projects I can start won't stop till success Although that post with actual pictures is basically the holy grail of information as I am concerned so good on those folks for getting it done!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Evaporator Removal.pdf (580.0 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-09-2020, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Smile

I really do not think it is necessary to remove and replace anything other than the dryer canister that is located right behind the radiator grill requiring four bolts to remove the grill. I have several posts in this thread which you should go back and read. My cooling system went out on the 95 X300 due to the dryer canister releasing the pellets in the system. I did a lot of blowing back and forth through the system. Finally got them all out. Replaced the dryer canister in the proper direction and it has worked fine ever sense.

My motto is don't do things the hard way and screw up a lot of other things in the process. My unit is still working great.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:12 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by EZDriver
I really do not think it is necessary to remove and replace anything other than the dryer canister .
Aren't you a lucky fellow EZDriver! You should go and buy yourself a lottery ticket.

Of course we all tried to do the quick fix and blow the lines out before we started ripping things apart.

My compressor huffed and puffed and couldn't clear my condenser, nor my evaporator, nor the high pressure line to it. Back and forth. Even tried using solvent with compressed air to lubricate the way. All to no avail. Obviously the driver of your car must have shut the A/C down soon after the desiccant bag broke. Unfortunately mine persisted and it was unbelievably jammed packed.

I can assure you I don't enjoy pulling dashboards out of cars, probably my least favorite car related tasks. But I want effectively air conditioning due to the climate I live in so what was I to do?

I hope you really didn't intend your post to sound so condescending.

Last edited by Peter RM; 05-09-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by EZDriver
I really do not think it is necessary to remove and replace anything other than the dryer canister that is located right behind the radiator grill requiring four bolts to remove the grill. I have several posts in this thread which you should go back and read. My cooling system went out on the 95 X300 due to the dryer canister releasing the pellets in the system. I did a lot of blowing back and forth through the system. Finally got them all out. Replaced the dryer canister in the proper direction and it has worked fine ever sense.

My motto is don't do things the hard way and screw up a lot of other things in the process. My unit is still working great.
I think most people who are looking into dashboard removal have tried the easy stuff first. But if your expansion valve is clogged with those beads, then you'll have to take that dashboard out. And if you don't replace everything then, you might still have beads in the system, no matter how long you blow air into the lines and compressor. And then, you'll have to start all over again.

The following users liked this post:
Peter RM (05-11-2020)