XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

How do XJ6's die? What is X300 Kryptonite?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 11:51 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default How do XJ6's die? What is X300 Kryptonite?

If I buy an XJ6 (X300) how can I expect it to die? What is the weak link underhood and in the gearbox?

I am looking at a 1995 model, so I assume it to not be OBDII as the later ones are? Does this make the engine/gearbox management simpler or more reliable in any way when compared to the later years?

Thanks!

Last edited by Fast71SS; 05-04-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,944 Likes on 7,190 Posts

1995 X300s were OBDII although it wasn't.....um....a fully matured OBDII, IMO

I don't recall hearing of an AJ16 engine failure. I don't think they can be killed..

I drive an X300/XJR for years. Good car; certainly durable and it was 100% reliable in the sense that it never once left me stranded. It was not a trouble-free life, though. It kept me busy.

Cheers
DD

Last edited by Doug; 05-05-2017 at 09:26 AM. Reason: sp
The following users liked this post:
Fast71SS (05-05-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 01:23 AM

Ok then. That settles it. I want an XJ6 and dont have to worry about it being unfixable like I have been pondering on here for days. I have been wondering what to expect out of an XJ6 after my XJ8 horror story. My XJ8 was unfixable.

Both cars have the look. The XJ6 is held on a pedestal by all concerned. The XJ8 was quite embarrassing for Jaguar and should frighten people.

XJ8 Kryptonite is whatever chemical or heat destroys the bore liners. I do not see how it is not bound to happen to every Nikasil motor eventually.

I made a offer on the XJ6 that I have discussed. Its in the hundreds. The owner assures me the motor is good and the trans is not causing problems.

If he accepts, I will tow it here, diagnose the starting problem, repair & enjoy?

Wish me luck.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Doug
1995 X300s were OBDII although it wasn't.....um....a fully matured OBDII, IMO
I would value your opinion explained in more detail here. Would you please?

Old 05-05-2017, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fast71SS
I would value your opinion explained in more detail here. Would you please?

Many, including me, have experienced that the system doesn't want to set misfire (and other) codes, can give phantom P0420 and P0430 codes, isn't fully compatible ("language-wise") with the typical "1996-on" OBDII scan tools, has seemingly inconsistent parameters for triggering codes and the check engine light.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-05-2017, 08:01 AM
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

[QUOTE=Fast71SS;1676255]If I buy an XJ6 (X300) how can I expect it to die? What is the weak link underhood and in the gearbox?

When you get tired of putting money into it:-) Seriously, the engine and transmission at least on mine that I've had since 2000 seem to be bulletproof. It's all the other stuff, also you are looking at a 20+ year old car and will have issues like things really wearing out and some limited parts availability as this was a three year run, albeit, there are parts from previous newer models that can be substituted.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:25 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Ok then. That settles it. I want an XJ6 and dont have to worry about it being unfixable like I have been pondering on here for days. I have been wondering what to expect out of an XJ6 after my XJ8 horror story. My XJ8 was unfixable.

Both cars have the look. The XJ6 is held on a pedestal by all concerned. The XJ8 was quite embarrassing for Jaguar and should frighten people.

XJ8 Kryptonite is whatever chemical or heat destroys the bore liners. I do not see how it is not bound to happen to every Nikasil motor eventually.
I think you're being a little naive believing that all XJ6 are gold and all XJ8 are sh*t. Each has it's good points, each has it's bad. Overall reliability is comparable between the two cars.

With each cars, you're buying them at little more than scrap value and hope they don't have costly issues that won't put you instantly upside down.

You got stung once by not doing due diligence, nothing is to say it won't happen again with the new car.

Nikasil is a very well known issue with a very well known root cause. If you are indeed a bio-fuel researcher, you should be well aware of the background.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,818 Likes on 2,245 Posts

Overheating will destroy aluminum engines easily. The temp. gauge is just a glorified idiot light like the V8 uses and will not give enough warning if you lose coolant due to a leak. There are many cases of people not stopping when the gauge suddenly jumps into the red and losing the engine.

If you supplement the system with a Ultragauge or similar that will read the actual temp. and give an alarm if the engine begins to overheat that will safeguard the engine.

Fast71SS (05-06-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=dagny747;1676410]
If I buy an XJ6 (X300) how can I expect it to die? What is the weak link underhood and in the gearbox?

When you get tired of putting money into it:-) Seriously, the engine and transmission at least on mine that I've had since 2000 seem to be bulletproof. It's all the other stuff, also you are looking at a 20+ year old car and will have issues like things really wearing out and some limited parts availability as this was a three year run, albeit, there are parts from previous newer models that can be substituted.
Amen.

The X300s are widely and correctly regarded as great Jaguars because, well, they were so much better than earlier models in many respects. But my own experience was by no means a 24/7/365 pleasure cruise. And, yes, age and miles eventually take a toll on any car...even an X300.

And my experience with various Jags over the years is that the engines themselves have been the very least of my worries. As you say, the 'other stuff' is what consumed my efforts and dollars . I'm not complaining, mind you. In the grand scheme of things I enjoyed the hell out of my XJR.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,387 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Nikasil was cause by the sulfur content in fuels . Crude oil comes out of the ground ground as sweet or sour depending on the amount sulfur content as it comes out of the ground . One of the reasons why sweet it more expensive to buy as a feedstock , don't have to put as much money into desulfurization . Regulations require a certain amount of the final refinery product only have a maximum amount of sulfur content as it is a pollutant . When you visit a refinery you will see piles of raw yellow sulfur as it is removed by the HDS unit . European regulatory content was higher then the USA through history as the X308 came out but both have come down but the damage was done .

Attached Thumbnails How do XJ6's die? What is X300 Kryptonite?-hds_flow.png  
Old 05-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

One aspect of X300 ownership that was particularly problematic for me was the issue of getting the management systems reprogrammed/re-oriented/re-flashed after repairs. In my neck o'the woods no repair shops has the proper equipment to do so. And of the two Jag dealers in my area (one 60 miles away, the other 140 miles) only one was willing to work on a '95. The other was happy to help and could do the work....at prices that made me gulp a bit. I'm not disparaging either dealer... I used to be in that game.... but lifelong DIYers who are accustomed to keeping a car running for relative peanuts have to come to grips at paying thru the nose for certain things.....and finding shops that can do them.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-05-2017, 09:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RJ237
Overheating will destroy aluminum engines easily. The temp. gauge is just a glorified idiot light like the V8 uses and will not give enough warning if you lose coolant due to a leak. There are many cases of people not stopping when the gauge suddenly jumps into the red and losing the engine.

If you supplement the system with a Ultragauge or similar that will read the actual temp. and give an alarm if the engine begins to overheat that will safeguard the engine.
Same for the oil pressure gauge.

Both were irksome to me when I bought my XJR. Fortunately the X300 cooling systems were very good and didn't require one-eye-on-the-temp-gauge-at-all-times like older Jags. And the oiling systems virtually never give trouble. In the end I grudgingly accepted the idiot gauges.

Now that I'm back in an older model again, though, it's nice (and more necessary) to have actual gauges.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts

All good info and points. Again I'll say one shouldn't approach the issue from how absolutely cheap one can get the car, or what it may be worth as scrap. Seems like a glass half empty approach, and is a setup for disappointment. The old adage of buying the best you can afford, or you'll pay more later, is accurate.

Read most of the following for a good background on the XJ6 issues, features, maintenance, etc:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...k-links-20088/

Specifically read this: (Thanks Doug!)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...yers-guide.doc

Brg XJS (07-05-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mikey
You got stung once by not doing due diligence, nothing is to say it won't happen again with the new car.
I let the seller take me for a fool while blinded by the flashy appeal of the car and not doing my homework. This happened. Absolutely.

There is most certainly something to prevent that again. That is the due diligence currently being done and you people helping me know what I need to.

I did almost make a mistake though. I would have bought it under the assumption the older engine management was less elaborate and therefore easier. The need for costly dealer services would be the end of that car for me. So...

Buggy beta version of the OBDII with false positives/negatives combined with the inability to properly diagnose some problems with regular equipment...This is all ok.

What will make me need to pay out of my tail pipe at a dealer or niche mechanic? What type of work triggers the need to re-flash and what happens if that re-flashing is not done?

Old 05-06-2017, 12:46 AM

An eBay search shows multiple listings for 95-97 ECU units, do they have this wrong if the 95 is different? I also saw a repair/exchange service for the ECU for around $300, but I am pretty sure this is nothing to do with what I am being told about, as I saw this for the XJ8 also.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:52 AM

I read the thing Doug published. Really cool! Thanks!

Interesting about the 4L80E being used. It would be cool to make a V12 Chevelle if bolt patterns are the same. Maybe I can find a Jaguar V12 somewhere.

I am just kidding about that, I probably have way more power to start with anyway. It would be cool though.

Back to the real world...

Doug, is the 1995 OBDII different than the 1996-1997? My understanding of your answer to my question is that yes it is. After reading the guide and looking on eBay for parts, I'm thinking I do not have the right understanding.

I will not be getting this thing serviced at a dealer. If this is likely needed, I need to officially give up on owning a Jaguar...which I hope not to do.

Last edited by Fast71SS; 05-06-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:25 AM
Default Does the 4.0L I6 in X300 models have a Chevy V8 bellhousing bolt pattern

[deleted, intended as new thread not new post]

Old 05-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I will not be getting this thing serviced at a dealer. If this is likely needed, I need to officially give up on owning a Jaguar...which I hope not to do.
You will need access to a diagnostic system similar to a dealer's. As an ASE certified chap, you likely have buds that have the proper equipment even if you don't own it yourself. However, if you DO need to purchase it, be aware that it will likely cost as much or more than you are offering for the car.

Yes, you can guess at what is causing your ABS light or transmission malfunction, etc etc and toss parts at it until fixed, though even with Pick-n-Pull parts this can get expensive. However, in the event of failure of certain modules, even if you have a free replacement, it must still be introduced to the car via this type of hardware/software system.

OBDII stuff is cheap and easy, as you know, but there are a lot of body and chassis modules (as well as the transmission) that cannot be read by the common, run-of-the-mill OBDII scanner.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:22 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I let the seller take me for a fool while blinded by the flashy appeal of the car and not doing my homework. This happened. Absolutely.

There is most certainly something to prevent that again. That is the due diligence currently being done and you people helping me know what I need to.
How? Nobody here has the seen the car you're interested in, nor have you.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

What will make me need to pay out of my tail pipe at a dealer or niche mechanic? What type of work triggers the need to re-flash and what happens if that re-flashing is not done?

Oxygen sensor orientation, TPS replacement, IAC replacement (I think)

That's all I can think of at the moment

Cheers
DD