XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

How do XJ6's die? What is X300 Kryptonite?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Received 84 Likes on 40 Posts

where can i buy the program neexed to flash these items

Old 05-06-2017, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,944 Likes on 7,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast71SS
Doug, is the 1995 OBDII different than the 1996-1997? My understanding of your answer to my question is that yes it is. After reading the guide and looking on eBay for parts, I'm thinking I do not have the right understanding.

My *impression* is that the OBDII improved somewhat in 96 and 97....but I don't have anything concrete to back that up.

I will not be getting this thing serviced at a dealer. If this is likely needed, I need to officially give up on owning a Jaguar...which I hope not to do.

This was one factor (or several) that entered into my decision to go back to an older model.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
How? Nobody here has the seen the car you're interested in, nor have you.
I am learning what to expect and what to look for in it should it I get it. I have also learned its exit-strategy value for me and judged market price and demand so as not to overpay. I am also making sure nothing about the vehicle black-lists if for me.

I am about to see if the need for dealer programming black-lists it or not, but I haven't read Doug's response yet because I saw yours and it pissed me off. If a group of vehicle owners teaching another person about mechanics and market factors related to that vehicle before he buys one is not due diligence, then what do you suggest I do? Do you know of a psychic vehicle advisors I can rely on? Can I pay with a credit card over the phone?

Old 05-06-2017, 12:48 PM

aholbro1's list of things that a regular DIY OBDII scan-tool wont do for this car is the same as with almost every other vehicle. I have a mid-level diagnostic tool that theoretically does this on most vehicles (It did on the XJ8).

My tool will not do the O2 sensor orientation. I dont believe anybody's will. That is not mainstream. I assume dealer only (or privately owned dealer tools at a niche shop perhaps). After reading up on it briefly, I would consider it unavoidable if needed and it is likely soon necessary on a 100K Jag. So how much does this cost? The Jaguar dealer in Frederick closed, others are maybe an hour drive. I am guessing not something that is only an hour labor though? I would think the dealers would back their products and be reasonable on price, but was it you Doug that said you were even turned away due to vehicle age? If anything turns me off to this Jaguar and all others ever, it would be a dealer refusing such service when needed.

Are TPS and IAC reorientation necessary as well or is this just a code-clearing issue? If I had to do one, I would go ahead and get them all. This is one time that I would be willing to fix what i'snt broken, and I usually ride it until the wheels fall off.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Doug
This was one factor (or several) that entered into my decision to go back to an older model.
I cant afford to currently based on current availability and require the safety features of the newer models.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

I haven't read Doug's response yet because I saw yours and it pissed me off.
Ok, I'm done. See ya, good luck.

Old 05-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,387 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Beat me to it , I'm done

Old 05-06-2017, 02:03 PM

I did not get relevant or helpful responses from either of you. Thanks for trying.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:14 PM

Do either of you even own a X300?

Old 05-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,387 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Yep . Never bite the hands that assist you

Old 05-06-2017, 02:18 PM

I do not believe I have.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:50 PM

Lady Penelope, your assistance included:

1. A description of Nikasil problem in V8 jaguars and a diagram of commercial fuel refining in a post about AJ16 drivetrain concerns.
2. An offer to decode the VIN of my at the time already sold XJ8 to see if it had a six cylinder in it or not. (As if the badging wasn't enough, the motor cover said so, exhaust ports are visible, and the lack of hood as in the photo allowed easy access to check)
3. You provided grossly incorrect information about how to sell stuff on eBay.
4. Threw my first thread on this matter entirely offtrack by suggesting that my X308 was available for dumpster diving.
5. You did help me reiterate the point that my previous Jaguar drivetrain was worthless, after I clearly stated it had been sold as scrap metal anyway.

Its too bad you couldnt hang in here and provide a little more insight.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts
Default Jaguar Classic Parts is your "go to" for parts research

An eBay search shows multiple listings for 95-97 ECU units, do they have this wrong if the 95 is different? I also saw a repair/exchange service for the ECU for around $300, but I am pretty sure this is nothing to do with what I am being told about, as I saw this for the XJ8 also.

Indirect answer as I haven't looked into the ECU part numbers, but you will find the following site invaluable in researching part numbers, part number cross references by VIN, trim level and region, and diagrams.

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...-xj-x300-parts

Also, AFAIK there is no ECU and other module reprogramming/reflashing available for the X300 from the dealer. Any updates to the ECU such as the EGR recall provides new ROMs that must be physically changed.

The various ECU, body control, seat, etc modules are pre-programmed from the factory, and even if they were reprogrammable years ago somehow, I've found that many dealers do not have specialized knowledge or much experience working on the X300 anymore unless they have an "old timer" in the garage. Jaguar of Cary has such a guy, and they give all "old" Jaguars like an X300 or X308 to him ...which actually is kinda cool, as it is like having my own dedicated mechanic.

The only person I know of that can reprogram portions of an ECU is XJREngineer (Andy) on this forum, who was an engineer at Jaguar when the X300 was being developed.

But there are some reset functions that can only be done by the dealer, unless you have the dealer diagnostic software, such as TPS reorientation, etc.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 05-06-2017 at 08:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fast71SS (05-06-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,570 Likes on 1,220 Posts

So how much does this cost? The Jaguar dealer in Frederick closed, others are maybe an hour drive. I am guessing not something that is only an hour labor though
If you have a shop that has the WDS machine and software (there's a place in Rockville that does, and does excellent work on old Jags), then they can perform all of the resets, I think there are only three to be done, for $150, maybe $200, but it really is a 20 minute procedure. You'd need:
1. Base idle adaptations reset
2. TPS reset
3. Oxygen sensor reorientation, but this is the least important of the three.

If you don't have access to someone you can get to, to perform these tasks, then you may have issues with the car that cannot be resolved any other way. There's no amount of disconnecting power, or replacing parts that will solve your problem. You need to find a shop that can help you if you're serious about acquiring a car with an AJ16 engine.

A mongoose can perform only tasks 2 and 3, and unfortunately the only one that you absolutely need is #1. There are work arounds for the other two, but not for #1.

The following 3 users liked this post by Vee:
al_roethlisberger (05-07-2017), Doug (05-07-2017), Fast71SS (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,106 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee

A mongoose can perform only tasks 2 and 3, and unfortunately the only one that you absolutely need is #1. There are work arounds for the other two, but not for #1.
Can the Mongoose/SDD not do the idle reset? I've never tried, but I have done the TPS reset and O2 orientation.

I think I have V131 of the SDD. Whatever is the last version that doesn't need an internet connection.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:55 PM

If I go with the plan of replacing all these sensors and have all the computerizing done at one time...I will be good to go for a long time before I have to seek additional computerization...right? This seems to be a do it and its done type of thing. Am I right on this?

If I buy the car and wait for one of these things to go bad, will I be able to drive it to the place to have it done? Will I be able to drive it around for a month or two with it running poorly while I save the money for the computerization?

What does WDS mean?

Old 05-09-2017, 06:55 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vandenplas408
where can i buy the program neexed to flash these items
ebay is your best bet here. You'll want:
1. PDU
2. Genrad 3500, or WDS
3. Genrad GDS500 or 510
4. VCM I, not II
5. Mongoose

there are very well researched threads under the General heading. Go there and you will learn a lot about these devices.

the last two have clones available for purchase, they tend to be less reliable than the real deal.

The PDU is the only equipment currently confirmed to be able to reset idle adaptations. I am currently working on restoring a WDS, so I'll be able to tell you whether it will do it too. I have never seen a confirmation that the Genrad 500/510 can do it, although I believe if the 3500 can, the 500 can too. I don't know if the VCM I can do it, it's doubtful. Lastly, I can confirm that the Mongoose cannot.

all of the above equipment can do the oxygen sensor reorientation and the TPS setup. Unfortunately, those can also be fixed without the computer, although it does speed things up.

The base idle reset reset is the holy grail I am chasing.

Last edited by Vee; 05-09-2017 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:58 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Correct. The Mongoose canNOT do a base idle reset. I've tried it with multiple different IDS versions.

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
Can the Mongoose/SDD not do the idle reset? I've never tried, but I have done the TPS reset and O2 orientation.

I think I have V131 of the SDD. Whatever is the last version that doesn't need an internet connection.

Jagboi64 (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 07:01 AM
Vee
Veteran Member

Car should never not be driveable. Rough/high idle and some stalling at stop lights is probably the worst case.

i don't know what causes the sensors to need adjustment. It doesn't happen often, I suppose if the car is not driven for long periods of time, like years? Also replacing TPS and IACV could require a computer reset, although not in every case.

If I go with the plan of replacing all these sensors and have all the computerizing done at one time...I will be good to go for a long time before I have to seek additional computerization...right? This seems to be a do it and its done type of thing. Am I right on this?

If I buy the car and wait for one of these things to go bad, will I be able to drive it to the place to have it done? Will I be able to drive it around for a month or two with it running poorly while I save the money for the computerization?

What does WDS mean?

Fast71SS (05-10-2017)
Old 09-23-2017, 10:17 PM
Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Vee
ebay is your best bet here. You'll want:
1. PDU
2. Genrad 3500, or WDS
3. Genrad GDS500 or 510
4. VCM I, not II
5. Mongoose

there are very well researched threads under the General heading. Go there and you will learn a lot about these devices.

the last two have clones available for purchase, they tend to be less reliable than the real deal.

The PDU is the only equipment currently confirmed to be able to reset idle adaptations. I am currently working on restoring a WDS, so I'll be able to tell you whether it will do it too. I have never seen a confirmation that the Genrad 500/510 can do it, although I believe if the 3500 can, the 500 can too. I don't know if the VCM I can do it, it's doubtful. Lastly, I can confirm that the Mongoose cannot.

all of the above equipment can do the oxygen sensor reorientation and the TPS setup. Unfortunately, those can also be fixed without the computer, although it does speed things up.

The base idle reset reset is the holy grail I am chasing.

any further info the WDS and idle adaptation??